F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car Comparison - 328i vs 330d
Studio RSR

10-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #89
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Personally I think Hydrogen of all the various green options is by far the worst.

Huge amounts of investment have been made globally, the actual production is geared towards use elsewhere than cars - fertilisers and I think in petrol refineries.

It buggers up metals, making it a bitch to store and transport.

Then do we compress it or reduce it in temperature to a liquid.... Bit cold

Agreed small petrols and turbo and also electrics will be the most common.

However, fancy towing a big caravan with one?

Then what about HGV, no one is offering a realistic solution for HGV replacement.

This was all going so well.....

Until you mentioned the word 'caravan'.

Which means I now look at this post with the same disgust as I did the toilet bowl this morning, after depositing the collateral damage of the Thai curry I consumed last night....

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #90
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
This was all going so well.....

Until you mentioned the word 'caravan'.

Which means I now look at this post with the same disgust as I did the toilet bowl this morning, after depositing the collateral damage of the Thai curry I consumed last night....

Deepest apologies, I admit I do dislike caravans , it's why God invented the chain gun and hellfire missile..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #91
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Deepest apologies, I admit I do dislike caravans , it's why God invented the chain gun and hellfire missile..
and Napalm...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #92
siross
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Evening chaps, I managed to test drive both engines today:

I test drive a 62 plate 328i M Sport saloon and a 15 reg 330d M sport touring, both had sports automatic. The 330d was a bit newer than I wanted to test but it gave me a good idea, my thoughts are:
  • Both engines are fantastic!
  • Both are much faster than I'm used to and were easily quick enough.
  • The 330d felt marginally quicker with the torque but not as much as I'd have thought? Maybe due to not being run in as much?
  • The petrol was more refined/quieter at lower speeds
  • You can't tell you're in a diesel until you're at lower speeds
  • The diesel sounds better when you floor it

I was hoping test driving them both would pretty much make my decision for me, however it hasn't! I'm still undecided.

All being equal the 330d would probably edge it but I need to factor in the following:
  • I do short journeys and even though it will be managed with longer journeys would I be worried about the DPF?
  • The 328i has reported issues? Are these overstated from a forum perspective.
  • The petrol is ~£1k cheaper
  • The 330d has 10k more on the clock, not a particular issue until it hits 60k when warranties will get more expensive. The 330d I'm looking at is currently on 43k (I'll do ~8k a year so I'll get 2 years cheaper warranty), planning to keep the car for 3-4 years at least.
  • The 330d has a couple more optional extras (electric memory seats and folding/dimming mirrors)

I was really hoping I'd have a car sorted before November, my insurance runs out at midnight tonight and I'm loathed to pay for a month and cancel it. I might just put it on the drive and get the train to work!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated chaps. Not a battle between petrol/diesel etc, I just want to make the most informed decision. After having driven both I'm almost 100% positive I won't be disappointed with either!

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #93
deebee
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a Bimmer :(

So you'll do short journeys, short enough to constantly hear the diesel noise from the engine or fast enough to not?

If the petrol is lower mileage and cheaper maybe will tempt you to keep it longer?

I know which way id be veering
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #94
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Based on your words and my biased experience I think the 330d is the best option.

It does sound good when you accelerate, can't comment on the 328i but I've heard it's not as refined or as nice sounding as you would expect!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #95
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
So you'll do short journeys, short enough to constantly hear the diesel noise from the engine or fast enough to not?

If the petrol is lower mileage and cheaper maybe will tempt you to keep it longer?

I know which way id be veering
Predominantly I'll be driving either 40 minutes (15 miles) round trip which will be 2-3 times a week. The other times I'll be driving 18 miles (40 minutes) in the morning and same distance but probably around an hour on the way home.

Commute is predominantly 30-40mph roads. Some motorway driving will be thrown into the mix.

Not sure whether lower mileage will tempt me to keep longer tbh.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #96
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
Based on your words and my biased experience I think the 330d is the best option.

It does sound good when you accelerate, can't comment on the 328i but I've heard it's not as refined or as nice sounding as you would expect!
I would say it is refined. It didn't really produce much "sound" when pushing on but I wasn't expecting it to nor am I used to it. The power of the 330d did feel good though...

Last edited by siross; 10-31-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #97
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

Mate all I can say is go with your gut on which one you'll prefer. What would you live with, which one would you have regrets with?

All I can say is the 330d puts a smile on my face every week and it's done 34k and counting!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #98
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

Doesn't the 328i have a bad rep for reliability when it comes to the engine?
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015

Last edited by E60MKF; 10-31-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #99
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF View Post
Does the 328i have a bad rep for reliability when it comes to the engine?
Since I've been on here it does seem to be the one that's been flagged the most......
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #100
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF
Does the 328i have a bad rep for reliability when it comes to the engine?
I don't know if that's the case or not really. Reading the forum can cause you to believe all sorts of things but it could just be that a couple of the guys on here were unlucky with theirs rather than the 328 being generally problematic car per se.

I'm aware that Rob Uk for example had a lot of trouble, pretty much from the get go but conversely I don't think Nick had any major issues with his. Whilst the forum can be useful I'd try and keep it in context. Interesting thread though and good that it's generated a lot of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #101
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
Mate all I can say is go with your gut on which one you'll prefer. What would you live with, which one would you have regrets with?

All I can say is the 330d puts a smile on my face every week and it's done 34k and counting!
I don't think I'd regret either. After test driving both, my gut was leaning towards the petrol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF View Post
Doesn't the 328i have a bad rep for reliability when it comes to the engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Since I've been on here it does seem to be the one that's been flagged the most......
The reliability conversations about the car do make me slightly nervous. The car will be under full BMW warranty for the first 12 months, I'll also be extending that for the entirety of my ownership...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
I don't know if that's the case or not really. Reading the forum can cause you to believe all sorts of things but it could just be that a couple of the guys on here were unlucky with theirs rather than the 328 being generally problematic car per se.

I'm aware that Rob Uk for example had a lot of trouble, pretty much from the get go but conversely I don't think Nick had any major issues with his. Whilst the forum can be useful I'd try and keep it in context. Interesting thread though and good that it's generated a lot of discussion.
This is a good point, although not many 330d owners complain about their cars!

This thread certainly has generated a lot of discussion. I need to make my bloody mind up!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #102
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

If your doing short journeys then the petrol is better suited. One word of warning however is don't expect diesel like fuel economy from a 328i. I didn't buy mine for economy but on short runs it may do 30mpg and you may get 40 mpg on a long steady motorway run. I'm averaging 29 mpg but I do tend to use the performance when I can 😀
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 04:14 AM   #103
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
If your doing short journeys then the petrol is better suited. One word of warning however is don't expect diesel like fuel economy from a 328i. I didn't buy mine for economy but on short runs it may do 30mpg and you may get 40 mpg on a long steady motorway run. I'm averaging 29 mpg but I do tend to use the performance when I can 😀
In general what would you say constitutes a short journey? In the words, would a journey of around 15 miles taking almost an hour be too short? That would be at least twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #104
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

I used to have a 428 F32 and its a nice engine, no problems but with the ASD it gives some artificial sporty note when you punch the throttle. But it's refined and much quieter than a diesel. It also consumes more and it's a 4 cylinder.

After 6 months i went back to a diesel, just because i do more kilometers now and the consumption is way better. I wanted a 430d but settled for a 420xd as i had a great opportunity to just exchange the car and its better in taxes here in Belgium.

But i'd still prefer the 30d as its more punchy and a 6 cylinder is always nicer to have with the abundant torque and power.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:08 AM   #105
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My views.....

I drive a 330d, it now has 70,000 miles on the clock. Not a single issue mechanically despite being driven by unsympathetic maniac. The engine and gearbox are truly bulletproof.

I wouldn't be concerned about low mileage DPF issues, not such a problem on later diesels as they have much more advanced 'regen' systems.

I would have concerns about the 328i engine, there have been many failures of a serious nature. Check the main US site as 328's are far more common in the US.

Other than the above they are both excellent cars with different characters that only you can decide on what is best for you.

As to xDrive vs sDrive, I generally prefer the pureness that only an sDrive can bring, but coming from a FWD Vectra, you'd have no concerns with the xDrive. I might even go as far as saying xDrive would be the better option for you from what you have written.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2015, 05:12 AM   #106
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siross
Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
In general what would you say constitutes a short journey? In the words, would a journey of around 15 miles taking almost an hour be too short? That would be at least twice a week.
If 15 miles is taking an hour then that would suggest that is in heavy traffic with a lot of stop start?

I don't think either engine would return particularly decent mpg in that type if driving but the 328 definately wouldn't.

Tbh mine is pretty hopeless from an mpg point of view on short journeys ( mine is 320i so similar). It is much better on longer runs but will still not really compete with the diesels whatever the bmw figures suggest.

To be honest mate I wouldn't get too hung up on mpg if your only doing 8000 miles a year. The difference in cost is not likely to be hugely significant. It's probably far worse from a psychological point of view.

When I fist got my car I was looking at the mpg quite frequently and getting frustrated that it wasnt higher. After a while I pretty much ignored it and just enjoyed the car. I do tend to monitor it on longer journeys but not to a huge extent.

If I was doing higher mileage maybe 15k plus then is switch to diesel without much hesitation. Like you however I'm doing lowish miles which was what drove my decision to go petrol.

I think Andy hit the nail on the head earlier though i.e. go with your gut and get the engine that feels right for you either in my view will be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #107
siross
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the 330d.

Hopefully I'll be able to make my final decision once I've finally seen it! It's still being prepped currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #108
siross
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
If 15 miles is taking an hour then that would suggest that is in heavy traffic with a lot of stop start?

I don't think either engine would return particularly decent mpg in that type if driving but the 328 definately wouldn't.

Tbh mine is pretty hopeless from an mpg point of view on short journeys ( mine is 320i so similar). It is much better on longer runs but will still not really compete with the diesels whatever the bmw figures suggest.

To be honest mate I wouldn't get too hung up on mpg if your only doing 8000 miles a year. The difference in cost is not likely to be hugely significant. It's probably far worse from a psychological point of view.

When I fist got my car I was looking at the mpg quite frequently and getting frustrated that it wasnt higher. After a while I pretty much ignored it and just enjoyed the car. I do tend to monitor it on longer journeys but not to a huge extent.

If I was doing higher mileage maybe 15k plus then is switch to diesel without much hesitation. Like you however I'm doing lowish miles which was what drove my decision to go petrol.

I think Andy hit the nail on the head earlier though i.e. go with your gut and get the engine that feels right for you either in my view will be great.
Yes fairly heavy traffic on the way home yes. I've read that the dpf doesn't necessarily require high speeds to regenerate though, is that true?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:25 AM   #109
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The other thing to consider as you are coming from a Vectra.

The 330d (can't comment on the 328i), is really lovely to be sitting in and driving.

It really will eat those miles, you get out feeling fresher, no bad back or legs etc.

This alone, may add an extra 2k miles to your annual mileage.

There is life outside work, pick a car that you can do some great miles in.

So go and get a 330d....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:25 AM   #110
rich100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
My views.....

I drive a 330d, it now has 70,000 miles on the clock. Not a single issue mechanically despite being driven by unsympathetic maniac. The engine and gearbox are truly bulletproof.

I wouldn't be concerned about low mileage DPF issues, not such a problem on later diesels as they have much more advanced 'regen' systems.

I would have concerns about the 328i engine, there have been many failures of a serious nature. Check the main US site as 328's are far more common in the US.

Other than the above they are both excellent cars with different characters that only you can decide on what is best for you.

As to xDrive vs sDrive, I generally prefer the pureness that only an sDrive can bring, but coming from a FWD Vectra, you'd have no concerns with the xDrive. I might even go as far as saying xDrive would be the better option for you from what you have written.
Interesting point Nisfan re the diesel petrol thing.

Id like a 6 cylinder next but had pretty much ruled out the 30d / 35 d due to the nature of my usage which is similar to Sirios's.

My main issue is that there seems to be very few f31 AUC 335is or 435i GCs whereas there is a massive selection of diesels.

Could I compensate for the short cold start journeys in the week with decent longish runs at the weekend? I think this may have been answered earlier in the thread but I'd just been interested in an additional view

Also in terms of regenerating the DPF can you force a regen if you drive in a certain way and how would you know if this is necessary? (Apologies minimal diesal experience)
Appreciate 0