F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Heated Seats
proTUNING Freaks

10-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

F30 Heated Seats

I have all options except heated seats, heated steering wheel and headlamp washer.

If I wanted to retrofit heated seats, of course I need to retrofit HVAC with seat switches and the actual heated seats.

Does anyone know if the wiring harness to the seat has all the wiring needed without needing to run additional wires to the seat?

Also, would other cold climate items such as heated steering wheel and washers need to added to not throw error codes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
KingpinRCR
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 320d ed

1)I’m not sure about the wiring. Usually I would say ‘no’, but since you have everything else there’s a chance that the wiring is present.

2) since you can retrofit the heated steeringwheel without the rest and I have headlight washers but no heated steeringwheel nor heated seats, I would assume you can retrofit heated seats without the rest and have no issues.
Appreciate 1
kabrichx134.00
      10-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Would also be very interested in retrofitting heated seats to my car, the winter mornings are brutal without them.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
Anyone?
I had a quote to install- there is no set up. The place I talk too would put a switch on the side of the seat. They mentioned that the passenger seat would only be part heated as there was a code issue with the air bag. Quote for fronts was in the $700's USD. They could to the rears too.
      11-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
I had a quote to install- there is no set up. The place I talk too would put a switch on the side of the seat. They mentioned that the passenger seat would only be part heated as there was a code issue with the air bag. Quote for fronts was in the $700's USD. They could to the rears too.
Thanks

Actually I have the heated seats. Everything from the connection to the yellow plug/wiring harness beneath the seat.

Also purchased an environmental control switch for dash with front seat switches and rear seat switches on center console rear cover.

Just trying to determine if the wires needed for controlling the heater elements on the seats are in the typical car wiring harness. Or are they missing.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
mithilparop
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

I am also interested in retrofitting heated seats to 320i. Does anyone know if a skilled electrician can do that or if you have experience?

All F30 seats should come with coil (even non-heated). And if not, I can invest in some aftermarket leather with heated options. Just not sure if some electrician can help me with wiring.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithilparop View Post
I am also interested in retrofitting heated seats to 320i. Does anyone know if a skilled electrician can do that or if you have experience?

All F30 seats should come with coil (even non-heated). And if not, I can invest in some aftermarket leather with heated options. Just not sure if some electrician can help me with wiring.
A normal electrician wouldn't have a clue what to do. You need someone that knows BMW wiring, or is willing and able to learn that, the seat heating is handled through network commands that go from the heater control units across the car to the seat control units, they then switch power on to the heater units, and regulate the temperature using sensors in the seat so that you don't burn your seat. What you need to do is install all the wiring to make that happen.

The heater elements in F30 seats are on a cloth sheet that is bonded to the foam of the seat, then the leather is attached over that, there is an element in the seat, one in the backrest, and another in the thigh bolster, to buy these elements from BMW will cost around £500, they are not installed in all seats, only heated ones.

The easiest way to do what you want is to buy some used seats that have heater elements and heater control units, and install the wiring to those. There are a few good articles on this forum that explain how to install new heated seats.
Appreciate 0