F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 335i xDrive lowering springs?
proTUNING Freaks

04-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #23
smak168
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i xdrive GC

Hey Kooner23 ,

I DYI it using johnung's video.

It's a really good video that demonstrates the entire job...with useful explanations and tips.

At a steady pace, it was an afternoon project.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #24
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooner23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak168 View Post
Kooner23 ,

I also went through all the research and ended up with a set of 05-22...

Couldn't be happier...just the right amount of drop. Gets rid of the xdrive gap and low enough enhances the look/performance, but not slammed.

The eibachs also ride really nice for street driving.
The springs should be arriving in the next two weeks or so (05-22)! Any shops you'd recommend around Vancouver for the install or did you DIY?
Try BimmerShops website
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #25
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i & E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I used the Eibach XDrive springs (-06 part#) with my 335i xDrive. The drop was exactly as advertised: F0.8"/Rear 0.6". At the same time I swapped out the stock dampers for Koni Special Actives. A perfect combination!
With the xDrive springs being a mild drop, do you think the Bilstein B4s would be a decent option for struts and shocks? I'm aroung 80K kms but I hear that the non edc OEM struts/shocks fail really early
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I used the Eibach XDrive springs (-06 part#) with my 335i xDrive. The drop was exactly as advertised: F0.8"/Rear 0.6". At the same time I swapped out the stock dampers for Koni Special Actives. A perfect combination!
With the xDrive springs being a mild drop, do you think the Bilstein B4s would be a decent option for struts and shocks? I'm aroung 80K kms but I hear that the non edc OEM struts/shocks fail really early
Bilstein B4's are really their version of a cheap replacement shock. B6/B8 have actual Bilstein quality materials and technology. But they are setup too stiff at the factory.

IMO the Koni Special Actives, developed with McLaren, are far superior. Their two frequency valves create both a Sport shock and Comfort shock combination in one. It's absolutely the best strut/shock to replace the stock units. Amazing improvement!
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #27
YesOffense
Rep
Drives: 440i xDrive GC

Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

It's a really good video that demonstrates the entire job...with useful explanations and tips.

Got a link to this?

Also anyone know if there are any sport actives that would fit an F36 440i xdrive and what model? Think i'm going with that Eibach 06-22 and SA combo if possible.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesOffense View Post
Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

Got a link to this?

Also anyone know if there are any sport actives that would fit an F36 440i xdrive and what model? Think i'm going with that Eibach 06-22 and SA combo if possible.
Actually it's important to check the German website product catalogs. For some reason European parts manufacturers often have incomplete catalogs on their US websites. See attached photos from Hermany catalogs.

The Eibach spring kit part number for your F36 440ix is actually the (-05) part number. The estimated drop is front 1.0" and rear 0.75", so it will remove some xdrive reverse rake too.

Your car model is one that Koni hasn't gotten around to producing a Special Active strut/shock for yet, but that's no problem because they do have Koni Sport Yellows for it. They are designed with enough piston travel to easily handle the drop of the Eibach springs. And the Sport Yellows have 10 adjustments for comfort so you can dial-in your car exactly how you want it to drive.

It's a good idea to replace stock bump stops with shorter versions used on the F80. Part numbers in photo.

While you are at it, the rubber pieces above and below struts, shocks and springs wear out over time so it's a good idea to replace them too. Look them up at Realoem website using your VIN number. These Genuine BMW parts can be purchased at a discount from GetBMWParts website.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-16-2021, 05:16 PM   #29
YesOffense
Rep
Drives: 440i xDrive GC

Quote:
Actually it's important to check the German website product catalogs. For some reason European parts manufacturers often have incomplete catalogs on their US websites. See attached photos from Hermany catalogs.

The Eibach spring kit part number for your F36 440ix is actually the (-05) part number. The estimated drop is front 1.0" and rear 0.75", so it will remove some xdrive reverse rake too.

Your car model is one that Koni hasn't gotten around to producing a Special Active strut/shock for yet, but that's no problem because they do have Koni Sport Yellows for it. They are designed with enough piston travel to easily handle the drop of the Eibach springs. And the Sport Yellows have 10 adjustments for comfort so you can dial-in your car exactly how you want it to drive.

It's a good idea to replace stock bump stops with shorter versions used on the F80. Part numbers in photo.

While you are at it, the rubber pieces above and below struts, shocks and springs wear out over time so it's a good idea to replace them too. Look them up at Realoem website using your VIN number. These Genuine BMW parts can be purchased at a discount from GetBMWParts website.

Hope this helps!
That's excellent, thanks!
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      05-16-2021, 09:48 PM   #30
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Got a link to this?

I think that post might have been referring to Farkles youtube video. Not sure if Johnung has an install video up?

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #31
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Kooner23 ,

Couldn't be happier...just the right amount of drop. Gets rid of the xdrive gap and low enough enhances the look/performance, but not slammed.

^Couldn't agree more…

I just installed the 05-22 kit this past weekend on a '15 335 XDrive, also using FaRKle!'s awesome DIY install video. I paired with Koni Yellows and new F80 bump stops. I was really concerned how harsh the ride would be based on what I had read about lowering springs, and I'm honestly blown away at how good the ride quality is. The car is way more planted, and handling is great…however the ride quality is barely noticeable from factory…I couldn't be happier.

Big kudos and thanks to FaRKle! and johnung!…tons of great input and guidance on this topic across numerous threads.
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #32
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson335 View Post
Quote:
Kooner23 ,

^Couldn't agree more…

I just installed the 05-22 kit this past weekend on a '15 335 XDrive, also using FaRKle!'s awesome DIY install video. I paired with Koni Yellows and new F80 bump stops. I was really concerned how harsh the ride would be based on what I had read about lowering springs, and I'm honestly blown away at how good the ride quality is. The car is way more planted, and handling is great…however the ride quality is barely noticeable from factory…I couldn't be happier.

Big kudos and thanks to FaRKle! and johnung!…tons of great input and guidance on this topic across numerous threads.
FaRKle! is the man! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the results. I've recommended that combination several times.

Eibach is usually only about 10% stiffer than stock. That's probably why you have a favorable opinion of the ride. I believe that H&R springs can be much more harsh. I've heard up to 30% stiffer like Dinan.

Curious where you have the Koni Sport Yellows set? I believe there are 10 settings that you can dial-in from soft to firm. I'm not sure what the factory default is out of the box.

Did you happen to save the factory bump stops? I'm curious what they measure compared to the photo that I posted of the F80 bump stops.

Also curious if you did before and after drop measurements and what they were?

Haha, I'm always collecting data! Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #33
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Got a link to this?

I think that post might have been referring to Farkles youtube video. Not sure if Johnung has an install video up?

Nah, you definitely did not see a video from me. My car has made a few cameo appearances, but not my ugly mug! Probably FaRKle! or Bryan at Kies Motorsports. Those are the two guys whose videos that I recommend all of the time.

I have watched Bryan shoot a couple of videos. I gotta give those guys credit. When you watch their videos, they really make it look smooth. Their delivery is so well organized and easy to follow.

It is so much work to plan, setup, film and edit to have their results be that great! They both make it look so easy, but it definitely is not! Hats off to FaRKle! and Bryan for the great work that they do for our BMW community!

Links to their YouTube channels below

https://youtube.com/user/FaRKle0079

https://youtube.com/c/KiesMotorsports
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #34
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep

I finally got my springs in the other day (05-22). I'll definitely measure up the before and after wheel gap once completed!
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      05-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #35
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

Like Johnung, I am curious about that setting you used on the Koni yellows. I am on Dinan springs right now with OEM dampers and the ride quality is great. Koni has dampers on sale right now so I am debating the yellows or the special active for when I do replace the dampers but have been concerned the yellows might be too harsh. I had a set on a Civic years ago and they were unbearable. The special actives are appealing but not sure if they are compatible with the lower Dinan springs and the responses from their tech guys are noncommittal.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #36
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

Like Johnung, I am curious about that setting you used on the Koni yellows. I am on Dinan springs right now with OEM dampers and the ride quality is great. Koni has dampers on sale right now so I am debating the yellows or the special active for when I do replace the dampers but have been concerned the yellows might be too harsh. I had a set on a Civic years ago and they were unbearable. The special actives are appealing but not sure if they are compatible with the lower Dinan springs and the responses from their tech guys are noncommittal.
What year and model? XDrive or RWD? Mileage?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #37
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

2017 340i xdrive. 38k
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #38
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

2017 340i xdrive. 38k
Your Dinan springs should only be about a 0.75" drop which is within the range to use the Koni Special Actives. The KoniSA's are able to go more in the comfort direction than the Koni Sport Yellows so that should take care of your concern. I'd suggest swapping the stock bump stops for shorter F80 bump stops. See photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #39
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

2017 340i xdrive. 38k
Your Dinan springs should only be about a 0.75" drop which is within the range to use the Koni Special Actives. The KoniSA's are able to go more in the comfort direction than the Koni Sport Yellows so that should take care of your concern. I'd suggest swapping the stock bump stops for shorter F80 bump stops. See photo
Agree that the special actives should be more comfortable but the Dinans for the 340 lower by 1" and 1-1/8". The 335 is .75". It feels silly to be splitting hairs over 1/4-3/8" but given what was originally indicated by Koni, that the special actives were designed for OEM ride height or at most Eibach lowering springs, I am wondering if they will work well with the slightly lower Dinans. The Koni site does now indicate that they can be used with "many lowering springs".
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #40
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Kooner23 ,

2017 340i xdrive. 38k
Agree that the special actives should be more comfortable but the Dinans for the 340 lower by 1" and 1-1/8". The 335 is .75". It feels silly to be splitting hairs over 1/4-3/8" but given what was originally indicated by Koni, that the special actives were designed for OEM ride height or at most Eibach lowering springs, I am wondering if they will work well with the slightly lower Dinans. The Koni site does now indicate that they can be used with "many lowering springs".
Have you definitely seen a Koni option for Special Actives for your model? There are a handful of cars that for some unknown reason, Koni has not produced SA's. Koni-USA catalog isn't always complete. So if you don't see it there then make sure to check Koni-Germany catalog.

It's not that big of a deal because Koni Yellows set all the way towards Comfort are in the middle of the range of the SA's.

Based on conversations that I've had with Koni-NA, you could still use SA's with the drop of your Dinan springs. They said that the critical issue is not to have the shocks bottoming out on the stock bump stops which confuses the SA valving. So you should be fine if you use the shorter F80 bump stops. That goes for the Koni Sport Yellows too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #41
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep

Springs are in, will wait a few days to see if they settle. So far looks like a 16mm drop upfront and a 17mm drop rear. Ride quality is pretty close to OEM, just slightly stiffer.

Johnung, would you recommend going with the OEM alignment specs?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #42
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Springs are in, will wait a few days to see if they settle. So far looks like a 16mm drop upfront and a 17mm drop rear. Ride quality is pretty close to OEM, just slightly stiffer.

Johnung, would you recommend going with the OEM alignment specs?
Yes. I always go to a dealer or an alignment shop experienced with BMWs. And they set it to stock alignment specs.

I'm curious why you used the Eibach (-05) springs if you have a F30 335i xDrive? That's the car that I have and the (-06) springs are specified for it. The drop is front 0.8" and rear 0.6" which is about F20mm/R15mm. See photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #43
Kooner23
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I always go to a dealer or an alignment shop experienced with BMWs. And they set it to stock alignment specs.

I'm curious why you used the Eibach (-05) springs if you have a F30 335i xDrive? That's the car that I have and the (-06) springs are specified for it. The drop is front 0.8" and rear 0.6" which is about F20mm/R15mm. See photos

Eibachs Germany catalog also specifies the the -05 part number as being compatible with the F30 xdrive. Rear springs are exactly the same in both kits however, the front springs should sit slightly lower due to the difference in load ratings of the springs.

Simply went with the -05 part number for the lower front end and more of an even front and back drop without sacrificing to much ride quality on regular dampers.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #44
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you definitely seen a Koni option for Special Actives for your model? There are a handful of cars that for some unknown reason, Koni has not produced SA's. Koni-USA catalog isn't always complete. So if you don't see it there then make sure to check Koni-Germany catalog.

It's not that big of a deal because Koni Yellows set all the way towards Comfort are in the middle of the range of the SA's.

Based on conversations that I've had with Koni-NA, you could still use SA's with the drop of your Dinan springs. They said that the critical issue is not to have the shocks bottoming out on the stock bump stops which confuses the SA valving. So you should be fine if you use the shorter F80 bump stops. That goes for the Koni Sport Yellows too.
Thank you for mentioning your conversation with Koni on the Dinan spring compatibility. I thought I had remembered an old post of yours where they said it either wasnt compatible or they didnt know. Yes, according to their website, when searching based on my vehicle, they offer the Sport Yellows and the Special Active Reds.
I have the shorter Dinan bumpstops on my car now. Are you saying the F80 versions would be shorter/better?
Appreciate 0