F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Oxford Hotel/Parking Recommendations
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
Marksw76
Private First Class
Marksw76's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: F30 320i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: May 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Oxford Hotel/Parking Recommendations

We're thinking of spending a few days in Oxford but I know that it is a city that absolutely hates cars, so struggling trying to find somewhere suitable to stay/park.

The general consensus seems to be that you abandon your car at some park and ride off the A34 for a few days and stay at a hotel in the city, but not sure i feel comfortable about this. Has anyone done it? Is it secure?

Alternatively it's driving in and finding a hotel with decent parking (hens teeth understandably), but apparently the chances of ending up with a fine for driving in a restricted area are very high and/or paying over the odds for a pay and display.

Anyone got any insights?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Major General
5371
Rep
9,171
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Stay outside and go in when you need to?

I've stayed at the Bear at Woodstock a couple of times. Leave car at park and ride just for the day when you are in the city then.... Also had friends stay at the Feathers in Woodstock and they rated that.

Or skip Oxford and just head to London.... I can help with that one
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Marksw76
Private First Class
Marksw76's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: F30 320i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: May 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Stay outside and go in when you need to?

I've stayed at the Bear at Woodstock a couple of times. Leave car at park and ride just for the day when you are in the city then.... Also had friends stay at the Feathers in Woodstock and they rated that.

Or skip Oxford and just head to London.... I can help with that one
We considered that but would prefer to stay in the centre so can go out in evening have a drink and not worry about taxis etc.

London is in September so might get back to you on that one!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Major General
5371
Rep
9,171
Posts

Drives: RS4 / Mini Cooper 5 door
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksw76 View Post
We considered that but would prefer to stay in the centre so can go out in evening have a drink and not worry about taxis etc.

London is in September so might get back to you on that one!
Please do, will get you a good rate. We even have a hotel with a car park so you can drive (but frankly I wouldnt!)

As for in Oxford, a former colleague works for voco hotels, they have one called the spires which is apparently a 15 min walk into the centre and has a car park....

voco is an IHG brand so you can be assured it will be decent if a bit impersonal and corporate.

The old parsonage seems to score highly on review sites and has free parking and very central location. Moe boutique than corporate but my guess is not cheap..... but probably cheaper now than before!

Last edited by isleaiw1; 06-18-2021 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
Marksw76
Private First Class
Marksw76's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: F30 320i XDrive M Sport
Join Date: May 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Please do, will get you a good rate. We even have a hotel with a car park so you can drive (but frankly I wouldnt!)

As for in Oxford, a former colleague works for voco hotels, they have one called the spires which is apparently a 15 min walk into the centre and has a car park....

voco is an IHG brand so you can be assured it will be decent if a bit impersonal and corporate.

The old parsonage seems to score highly on review sites and has free parking and very central location. Moe boutique than corporate but my guess is not cheap..... but probably cheaper now than before!
Cheers mate, spires was a good shout. Completely missed it, all booked and sorted. Looks like a great location thanks again
Appreciate 1
isleaiw15371.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST