F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Oxford Hotel/Parking Recommendations
Studio RSR

06-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
Marksw76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i XDrive M Sport

Oxford Hotel/Parking Recommendations

We're thinking of spending a few days in Oxford but I know that it is a city that absolutely hates cars, so struggling trying to find somewhere suitable to stay/park.

The general consensus seems to be that you abandon your car at some park and ride off the A34 for a few days and stay at a hotel in the city, but not sure i feel comfortable about this. Has anyone done it? Is it secure?

Alternatively it's driving in and finding a hotel with decent parking (hens teeth understandably), but apparently the chances of ending up with a fine for driving in a restricted area are very high and/or paying over the odds for a pay and display.

Anyone got any insights?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Stay outside and go in when you need to?

I've stayed at the Bear at Woodstock a couple of times. Leave car at park and ride just for the day when you are in the city then.... Also had friends stay at the Feathers in Woodstock and they rated that.

Or skip Oxford and just head to London.... I can help with that one
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Marksw76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Stay outside and go in when you need to?

I've stayed at the Bear at Woodstock a couple of times. Leave car at park and ride just for the day when you are in the city then.... Also had friends stay at the Feathers in Woodstock and they rated that.

Or skip Oxford and just head to London.... I can help with that one
We considered that but would prefer to stay in the centre so can go out in evening have a drink and not worry about taxis etc.

London is in September so might get back to you on that one!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksw76 View Post
We considered that but would prefer to stay in the centre so can go out in evening have a drink and not worry about taxis etc.

London is in September so might get back to you on that one!
Please do, will get you a good rate. We even have a hotel with a car park so you can drive (but frankly I wouldnt!)

As for in Oxford, a former colleague works for voco hotels, they have one called the spires which is apparently a 15 min walk into the centre and has a car park....

voco is an IHG brand so you can be assured it will be decent if a bit impersonal and corporate.

The old parsonage seems to score highly on review sites and has free parking and very central location. Moe boutique than corporate but my guess is not cheap..... but probably cheaper now than before!

Last edited by isleaiw1; 06-18-2021 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
Marksw76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Please do, will get you a good rate. We even have a hotel with a car park so you can drive (but frankly I wouldnt!)

As for in Oxford, a former colleague works for voco hotels, they have one called the spires which is apparently a 15 min walk into the centre and has a car park....

voco is an IHG brand so you can be assured it will be decent if a bit impersonal and corporate.

The old parsonage seems to score highly on review sites and has free parking and very central location. Moe boutique than corporate but my guess is not cheap..... but probably cheaper now than before!
Cheers mate, spires was a good shout. Completely missed it, all booked and sorted. Looks like a great location thanks again
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18759.00