F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Two years of 340i ownership
Extreme Powerhouse

07-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Two years of 340i ownership

Suspect most who frequent this forum always have at least half an eye on what other options are out there and I'm no different. However without spending silly money, there really isn't anything that would be superior to this elegant machine. It really is in my humble opinion the Ian Botham of cars. Sure there's things that are straight line quicker, or more luxurious, or more out and out sporty with better handling, but the longer I own this car, the more I'm impressed.

You get a comfortable, reliable, economical 30 combined MPG, GT style cruiser, a very practical, respectable mover of luggage and people, that also happens to possess a 170mph, 370BHP near super car engine (being 46, my formative driving years involved no more than 150BHP Peugeot 205 GTIs that drunk the same amount of fuel for half the performance) and silky transmission that's capable of sub 8 minute Nürburgring runs.

Swapping out the DCT box for the ZF in the new M cars says it all.

Do I miss a manual box....yes and no. The F3X cars are obviously designed with the ZF in mind, and the power comes on so so seamlessly with it. I do sometimes miss the involvement of the manual, but honestly wouldn't change if I was offered an identical 6 speed.

Yes, you've got to spend a few quid getting these cars to where they should factory be, but hell, it's worth it I think. I'm almost finished with the mods:

MPPSK
MP LSD (expensive I know but if you only do one mod to your RWD F3X it should be this)
Black gloss MP rear diffuser
MP pedals
MPS4S tyres booked in for next week. (Took 2 years and 2 track days to burn these run flats down, and they still have 4.5mm left).

Some suspension mods will follow at Christmas, then the car will finally be complete to me. I'm still in awe of modern performance engines so don't feel the need for a remap - this is plenty fast enough!

Am looking forward to my next track day in September - fly my pretty, fly!
Attached Images

Last edited by Londoner; 07-22-2021 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 9
G50954.50
ar68149.00
winther11819.50
johnung4528.00
Samir72433.00
K13GRY15.00
JR16641146.50
      07-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Whilst I agree with 99% of what you say.. swap 340i for 440i GC and you've got the near perfect car!

Especially in SRB!
Appreciate 4
g9icy340.50
Rasco62.50
      07-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport

Five years for my 340i, and I still love it. Got the MPPSK three years ago, and the MPerformance limited slip differential a couple of weeks ago. I think that will be it for modifications unless the variable dampers give up the ghost. Planning to keep this for as long as it will run. It's a comfortable cruiser that will return 40+mpg on a long run at the speed limits, and by pressing a button twice, it turns into an animal when the mood takes me. Only recurring problem was coolant loss, but that was sorted with the change of the cap, and it doesn't use any oil between 10000-ish mile oil changes.
Appreciate 1
Londoner168.00
      07-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Deep Pan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Good write up buddy.
I've been toying with the idea of getting the MP LSD/diff as I just don't like the idea of the open diff.
I've had 2 cars in the past (same make and model)one had an open diff and the other had some after market diff, the different was night and day when trying to slide it.
How would you describe the drive with the MP LSD? Notice it in most situations?, only on the limit, only in sport + (I'm guessing this is the case) or all settings? Please help sell it to me! Lol.
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

I'm also interested in your thoughts on the MP diff.

I'm not really a "sideways" person and not really bothered about stepping out, but I would like better performance when accelerating from a standstill, does the MP diff help there?
      07-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #6
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
but the longer I own this car, the more I'm impressed.
This was similar to the phrase i used when i was asked by a work colleague if i was replacing my F32 440 anytime soon -

"why replace it when it impresses me every time i drive it"

A few bits and bobs added over the years just makes that bit nicer to be in and to drive , MPPSK / MP alcantara and carbon interior kit / MP alcantara steering wheel / rear diffuser / rear lip spoiler / front lip spoiler.

Looked at various replacements - Vantage / M car / C63 coupe / RS5 / Conti GT / 917 etc but once all the real world (£££) elements in the equation have been considered i always come back to the 440 so dont think it will be going anywhere soon.

K
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

^^^^^

917 ......

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mot...e-917k-auction
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Got my 7 + 9 the wrong way round , been a long day - 719

Wouldn`t want a 917 anyway , no room for the hound.

K
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      07-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Got my 7 + 9 the wrong way round , been a long day - 719

Wouldn`t want a 917 anyway , no room for the hound.

K
I was going to ask you for a job

I am going crackers now is it 719 or 718........ bloody Porsche use a damn confusing system
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Whilst I agree with 99% of what you say.. swap 340i for 440i GC and you've got the near perfect car!

Especially in SRB!
I really wanted a 440i GC, and do agree - it really is a beautiful car, and looks better than the 340i or 440i, however the 340i wins the bang for your buck segment IMO. It's a very similar car, which like for like costs around 5k more. Maybe due to rarity?! If I could swap mine for an exact spec 440i GC I'd take it in a heartbeat, but just don't think it's worth the extra $$$.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshb View Post
Five years for my 340i, and I still love it. Got the MPPSK three years ago, and the MPerformance limited slip differential a couple of weeks ago. I think that will be it for modifications unless the variable dampers give up the ghost. Planning to keep this for as long as it will run. It's a comfortable cruiser that will return 40+mpg on a long run at the speed limits, and by pressing a button twice, it turns into an animal when the mood takes me. Only recurring problem was coolant loss, but that was sorted with the change of the cap, and it doesn't use any oil between 10000-ish mile oil changes.
You must be one of the longest term 40i owners in the UK! How many miles have you done? Did you get it new?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #12
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Pan View Post
Good write up buddy.
I've been toying with the idea of getting the MP LSD/diff as I just don't like the idea of the open diff.
I've had 2 cars in the past (same make and model)one had an open diff and the other had some after market diff, the different was night and day when trying to slide it.
How would you describe the drive with the MP LSD? Notice it in most situations?, only on the limit, only in sport + (I'm guessing this is the case) or all settings? Please help sell it to me! Lol.
Thanks! Hahah it's quite spectacular. The phrase transformative is often overused but quite appropriate here. I got it installed last Christmas and took advantage of some quiet lockdown 'shire roads and my God what a difference the LSD makes. The car feels half the size and weight now and is just so agile and nimble. I can toss it about all over the place and really utilise that B58 power, instead of just in straight lines. You have this instant, newfound confidence in the car and will find self power sliding effortlessly out of turns, oddly, instinctively knowing exactly when and how much it's going to drift, without the nagging fear of twitchy over/understeer disaster.

It's an illusion of course, but strangely feels like the LSD suddenly, dramatically improves your driving skills.

You won't notice it pootling about in traffic but throw her about just a little bit and the application of rear wheel power is just so magnificently safe and seamless now. The endorphin hit alone is worth the cash.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #13
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post
I'm also interested in your thoughts on the MP diff.

I'm not really a "sideways" person and not really bothered about stepping out, but I would like better performance when accelerating from a standstill, does the MP diff help there?
Same mate - I've got no interest in drifting for the sake of drifting, but it does so much more than that. I was simply looking for an increase in general agility, safety and traction, which it does in abundance.

The easiest way to describe is it's a dynamic, toss-able two wheel drive car now, instead of a straight line, one wheel drive weapon.

So yes, to answer your question it's made a significant difference in traction from standstill. I actually haven't seen the traction light come on since I got it. You can sport + boot it from stationary and not be scared of ending up in a wall.
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #14
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
This was similar to the phrase i used when i was asked by a work colleague if i was replacing my F32 440 anytime soon -

"why replace it when it impresses me every time i drive it"

A few bits and bobs added over the years just makes that bit nicer to be in and to drive , MPPSK / MP alcantara and carbon interior kit / MP alcantara steering wheel / rear diffuser / rear lip spoiler / front lip spoiler.

Looked at various replacements - Vantage / M car / C63 coupe / RS5 / Conti GT / 917 etc but once all the real world (£££) elements in the equation have been considered i always come back to the 440 so dont think it will be going anywhere soon.

K
For sure. A lot of people seem to say "if you can afford a F3X B58 you can afford a M car." While that is in a limited way true I guess, it's that bang for your buck equation that doesn't sit well with (tight ass?!) me - all those cars you mention are lovely and of course the next set up from ours, but on top of the initial additional outlay (for a high mileage M3/4 that's still 5+K dearer than my super low mileage 340i), the extra insurance (especially if you live in a City) plus fuel/consumables really do add up over a long period. As much as I'd love a M car, my man maths calculator isn't that wild.

Also I've driven a M2 on a track - hard, to the limit. In fact the very same track (Bedford) that I've thrashed the pants off my 340i, and to my admittedly amateur driving senses/skills the difference between the two was marginal, like...3-5% more agile at most and just as straight line quick. Not the "night and day" a lot of people talk about. Ok a M3/4 is quicker than a M2 and 40i, so not a fair comparison, but my wallet isn't convinced spending the extra dosh is worth it. Maybe in 5-10 years when I'm living in the shires I'll feel differently.

Last edited by Londoner; 07-22-2021 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
Deep Pan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Sounds good!
My car is to be the family car (after our lease goes back) so with a bit of under cover thinking. when it goes in for a service in November.. I dont have to explain what else is being done
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #16
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Pan View Post
Sounds good!
My car is to be the family car (after our lease goes back) so with a bit of under cover thinking. when it goes in for a service in November.. I dont have to explain what else is being done
Tehehe that's exactly what I did!!

As jackstrath succulently said to me when I was debating it - If you "drive" the car its worth the outlay. Plus it's a different car now in the wet. Never going to be xdrive good but its miles better than the open diff.

Last edited by Londoner; 07-22-2021 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-23-2021, 03:21 AM   #17
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

My only experience of a LSD in a BMW was some years ago when I had the E30 325i M sport.

While lacking power to the 340i it did a very good job of improved traction in a much lighter car with the canny ability to deal with power on, in turns with off camber roads, the likes of which would find lesser models in the hedge!

I suspect that the improvement to the 340i would be well worthwhile, as an after add on, once the standard 'S' drive suspension has been sorted. However the downside of the LSD is that it would only be apparent at a far greater pace than with the E30.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #18
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You must be one of the longest term 40i owners in the UK! How many miles have you done? Did you get it new?
Yes,bought it new and have done just over 50k miles. Not much over the last year though for obvious reasons, so whenever I go out, I try to take the longer way home Or simply go for a drive and explore the scenery and some twisty roads.

Last edited by jenshb; 07-23-2021 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-23-2021, 04:17 AM   #19
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For sure. A lot of people seem to say "if you can afford a F3X B58 you can afford a M car." While that is in a limited way true I guess, it's that bang for your buck equation that doesn't sit well with (tight ass?!) me - all those cars you mention are lovely and of course the next set up from ours, but on top of the initial additional outlay (for a high mileage M3/4 that's still 5+K dearer than my super low mileage 340i), the extra insurance (especially if you live in a City) plus fuel/consumables really do add up over a long period. As much as I'd love a M car, my man maths calculator isn't that wild.

Also I've driven a M2 on a track - hard, to the limit. In fact the very same track (Bedford) that I've thrashed the pants off my 340i, and to my admittedly amateur driving senses/skills the difference between the two was marginal, like...3-5% more agile at most and just as straight line quick. Not the "night and day" a lot of people talk about. Ok a M3/4 is quicker than a M2 and 40i, so not a fair comparison, but my wallet isn't convinced spending the extra dosh is worth it. Maybe in 5-10 years when I'm living in the shires I'll feel differently.
Although it would be nice to scratch that M3 itch, I agree with what you're saying. A few modifications like the MPPSK and LSD will yield a car that can do probably 80% of what an M3/M4 will do, but for a lot less money over time. And the standard look will make it less of a "thief magnet" too.
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #20
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

could be fun organising a track day for the 340i/440i gang if anyone was up for it?
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50
      07-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #21
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars111 View Post
could be fun organising a track day for the 340i/440i gang if anyone was up for it?
Would love to take my car around Brands Hatch one day. A shame Covid put a stop to the BMW GB CC half-day track event at Brands Hatch last year. Think it was scheduled for June time.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:36 AM   #22
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars111 View Post
I'd be so up for that! It's always a great day out! Let's start a new thread on it...
Appreciate 1
MY340i719.50