F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Damaged DME on F30 Help!
GetBMWParts

06-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Angry Damaged DME on F30 Help!

I've been running a JB4 Stage 2 MAP 2 tune on my F30 335i for roughly a year with no issues until last week when I got a Drivetrain malfunction message. Took the car to the dealer and they found that it was a result of a blown DME.

Prior to bringing the car in I had removed the JB4 and even removed the drop in aFe air filter should they say the engine had been modded. The service adviser said his technician had taken some photos of "spliced wires" where someone had hooked up some sort of tune that lead to the DME problem. I used the supplied plastic tap ins with the JB4 kit but the wiring is not damaged.

I said I knew nothing about it and as far as I knew there were other electrical issues including radio presets not working properly, an occasional rough idle upon start up even when the motor was warm, and the AC cutting off. I had also received another Drivetrain malfunction message a few days before and then the car shut itself off trying to go into Park while on the road. Upon a restart the message cleared.

The dealer is digging further into the issue to see exactly what's going on. Anything else I can do to try to get the dealer to cover the repair of a damaged DME?

I find it odd that all of a sudden I would have this problem with the JB4 on there for over a year already.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

You'd need to read the codes to know what the faults are exactly, but it might be as simple as a blown sensor ground. I've seen that on a few cars (stock and tuned) and it's easy to fix on your own. The codes would tell you if that is the specific issue.

Also, just to throw it out there, BMW does read these forums. Posting about taking a modified car to the dealer is probably not a good idea. I'd go get the car back for now, read the actual fault codes, and see if a technical source like BMS can provide advice on what you should do for them. Rushing a modified car to a dealer when you get a code is always a bad idea.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
I recall I said this before that the techs are not idiots and will notice the spliced wires and everyone told me I was basically crazy that they would not notice the splices and techs are not that bright. Trust me, I have worked on cars most of my career before working for a accessory manufacturer now and the techs know what to look for if there is a problem and know all the ins and outs of tunes and how they hook up. Especially one as popular as the JB4. I do not care if you use a 3M splice or a T-tap or any other connector that punctures the insulation, it will be painfully obvious the wire was compromised and there is no way to hide it. Of course there are dealers and techs that may not be as tough and they won't bring this up on a regular scheduled maintenance trip. In the event of a failure in today's time, they will look at every option to get out of a warranty claim.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Before my new career, I was a highly trained technician specialized in all electronic.
It was my job to do just this, and I was pretty good at it.

It's not because they want to get out of a warranty claim, it's more that they want to be paid by the manufacturer for the claim.

When we did replace parts, we had to tag and store them until the manufacturer representant came to look at random claims.
These representants are used to see different claims, and can cause a lot of problem to the dealer if they don't come clean.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

Sorry to hear that brother, I would be more worried about your warranty in this case. I am not sure what aspects of your warranty might become voided, but I am sure BMW will try to void every part they are legally able to void. It could be everything, I am not trying to scare you but this could be bad. Hoping the best, please let us know the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

shit :X tell us what went wrong we can avoid it
      06-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86
I've been running a JB4 Stage 2 MAP 2 tune on my F30 335i for roughly a year with no issues until last week when I got a Drivetrain malfunction message. Took the car to the dealer and they found that it was a result of a blown DME.

Prior to bringing the car in I had removed the JB4 and even removed the drop in aFe air filter should they say the engine had been modded. The service adviser said his technician had taken some photos of "spliced wires" where someone had hooked up some sort of tune that lead to the DME problem. I used the supplied plastic tap ins with the JB4 kit but the wiring is not damaged.

I said I knew nothing about it and as far as I knew there were other electrical issues including radio presets not working properly, an occasional rough idle upon start up even when the motor was warm, and the AC cutting off. I had also received another Drivetrain malfunction message a few days before and then the car shut itself off trying to go into Park while on the road. Upon a restart the message cleared.

The dealer is digging further into the issue to see exactly what's going on. Anything else I can do to try to get the dealer to cover the repair of a damaged DME?

I find it odd that all of a sudden I would have this problem with the JB4 on there for over a year already.
Don't you HAVE to run a downpipe to use Map 2 on the JB4? If so, did you remove the downpipe too?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
PMed.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

if you need a new DME, I have a spare one from my PPK - PM me.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
rickinaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post

I've been running a JB4 Stage 2 MAP 2 tune on my F30 335i for roughly a year ....

Prior to bringing the car in I had removed the JB4 and even removed the drop in aFe air filter should they say the engine had been modded...

I said I knew nothing about it...
How do the three comments above even hang together? If you guys want to save a few bucks and buy an unwarrantied solution, that is your call, but why resort to unethical behaviour? And...you've documented it in a public forum. Some on this forum sing the praises of the Burger solution, bash MPPK/Dinan for the cost, and then resort to questionable coverups when the shit hits the fan.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinaz View Post
How do the three comments above even hang together? If you guys want to save a few bucks and buy an unwarrantied solution, that is your call, but why resort to unethical behaviour? And...you've documented it in a public forum. Some on this forum sing the praises of the Burger solution, bash MPPK/Dinan for the cost, and then resort to questionable coverups when the shit hits the fan.
Ditto
It dangerous to save money in the wrong places. This said I don't mind those who do, as long as the can take the heat without crying..

Dont play if you hate loosing. _My experience tells me
/Krelle
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

It is these ever so often problems that make me stay away from these tuning solutions.
but then everyone bashes and says you gotta pay to play..if that is the case, I'll pay more for the PPK/Dinan and have peace of mind
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

So what was the outcome on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
James550i6spd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
Before my new career, I was a highly trained technician specialized in all electronic.
It was my job to do just this, and I was pretty good at it.

It's not because they want to get out of a warranty claim, it's more that they want to be paid by the manufacturer for the claim.

When we did replace parts, we had to tag and store them until the manufacturer representant came to look at random claims.
These representants are used to see different claims, and can cause a lot of problem to the dealer if they don't come clean.
exactly what I thought. Dealers get a bad rap for being obnoxious but most dealers I found would prefer the OEM to pay for the work since it is guaranteed business as opposed to making the consumer pay for it , at which they may go to an indy shop.

I'm sure there are a lot of "warranty
claims" that slip under the radar..but it's probably the big or weird ones where the dealer may have to show more due diligence in the event they get "audited" by the OEM.

Anyway...back on track..what's the latest on this?

ISO of Manual 535/550/335
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
So what was the outcome on this?
Hmm, my guess is he bought a new DME and went on. -That he had bad luck like Mike said.
He can't blame the tune though!
/Krelle
      10-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #16
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
Hmm, my guess is he bought a new DME and went on. -That he had bad luck like Mike said.
He can't blame the tune though!
/Krelle
yea thats what im thinking, mine went bad too but i pulled my JB4 first, left my charge pipe, down pipe, FMIC and exhaust on and they covered it under warranty.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
yea thats what im thinking, mine went bad too but i pulled my JB4 first, left my charge pipe, down pipe, FMIC and exhaust on and they covered it under warranty.
Do you think the JB4 caused your DME to crash? Or did you find any good reason, like bad connection somewhere?

Speaking of JB4. Why the F is this not connected to the OBD pin's instead of this splicing. -Then nobody has to worry about splicing?!
/Krelle
      10-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #18
Deuk
Almost 40 years BMW driver
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i / F30

Why should the dealer or the manufacturer pay for this bullshit if it is in the warranty statement that the warranty will be void if changes are made to the electronics of the car???
I agree wth Kelle: 'Don't play if you hate loosing....'
      10-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #19
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the JB4 caused your DME to crash? Or did you find any good reason, like bad connection somewhere?

Speaking of JB4. Why the F is this not connected to the OBD pin's instead of this splicing. -Then nobody has to worry about splicing?!
/Krelle
Not quite sure. They said something about water got on my sensors on my intake and it damaged the DME? I never really got an in depth explanation cuz i didnt pursue it once they said it was going to be covered under warranty. I will ask once i get my car back tho and share the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuk View Post
Why should the dealer or the manufacturer pay for this bullshit if it is in the warranty statement that the warranty will be void if changes are made to the electronics of the car???
I agree wth Kelle: 'Don't play if you hate loosing....'
lol well, i didnt push the issue, they decided they would cover it so i didnt argue with them. I was prepared to pay for it though if i had too. Fortunately for me i have mechanical breakdown coverage through geico so i would only have paid $251.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #20
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Not quite sure. They said something about water got on my sensors on my intake and it damaged the DME? I never really got an in depth explanation cuz i didnt pursue it once they said it was going to be covered under warranty. I will ask once i get my car back tho and share the info.

lol well, i didnt push the issue, they decided they would cover it so i didnt argue with them. I was prepared to pay for it though if i had too. Fortunately for me i have mechanical breakdown coverage through geico so i would only have paid $251.
Water?? Have you filled sprinkler fluid on and dropped the can :-)

I now you have these cheap places in Tx where you can have your car washed and cleaned. Could they have been a little unfortunate with a water hose thus pressing water into the engine compartment?

Bad luck anyway.
/Krelle
      10-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #21
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post

So you lied to them, and you used a product that does not have a full drivetrain warranty.

No, not much else you can do, except accept the fact that the tune could have something to do with this.

While I appreciate your desire to come here and get advice, your above statement in itself is deceitful, and I warn you that service advisors, client advisors and techs do visit these forums. I'd recommend deleting your post and maybe rephrasing your question.

Unfortunately short of MPPK and Dinan, you get what you pay for in terms of tunes, a $500 risk investment.

Good luck with the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #22
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Water?? Have you filled sprinkler fluid on and dropped the can :-)

I now you have these cheap places in Tx where you can have your car washed and cleaned. Could they have been a little unfortunate with a water hose thus pressing water into the engine compartment?

Bad luck anyway.
/Krelle
Lol u lost me with ur first sentence

But no the only thing i can think of is when i washed the engine myself but i covered my intake and other things when i did it, and i didnt use a pressure washer. I was pretty careful, and i was having the issue before i did that also. I HIGHLY doubt it was the JB4 that caused the issue. but who knows.

Appreciate 0