F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Base stereo added speakers - equaliser?
proTUNING Freaks

09-22-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

Base stereo added speakers - equaliser?

Hi guys...

Recently bought new mids for the front as well as two tweeters ... I have the base stereo (European version) which means no amplifier or custom equaliser..

There is a noticeable difference in sound however I would like to be able to customise it a bit ..

I have two questions here:

1. What do I need to code specifically to change it from Base Stereo to Hifi to enable the equaliser in idrive?

2. Will the system still work properly without an amplifier ? I seem to have read somewhere that if you code hifi or HK for that matter the amplifier is no longer optional but mandatory ... don't know if it's because it disables the headunit amp or what it is ?

Thanks in advance to all!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You can't code the HU for EQ because the EQ hardware is in the separate amp.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSTryk View Post
Hi guys...

Recently bought new mids for the front as well as two tweeters ... I have the base stereo (European version) which means no amplifier or custom equaliser..

There is a noticeable difference in sound however I would like to be able to customise it a bit ..

I have two questions here:

1. What do I need to code specifically to change it from Base Stereo to Hifi to enable the equaliser in idrive? EQ is in the Top HiFi system, not in HiFi. You can code Top HiFi in your Stereo however the output will be MOST (digital). You will need a MOST decoder and Toslink DSP/amps to have sound, and the OEM EQ will be useless. It will sound fantastic for quite some money, though.

2. Will the system still work properly without an amplifier ? I seem to have read somewhere that if you code hifi or HK for that matter the amplifier is no longer optional but mandatory ... don't know if it's because it disables the headunit amp or what it is ? One answer above. The second answer is, coding to HiFi will flatten the OEM curve of the Stereo system and will allow the install of tweeters without the harshness of the OEM boosted highs. Coding to HiFi will convert the high-level outputs of the Stereo system to low-level, though. You will need a balanced inputs aftermarket amp (any JL Audio amp, for example) to drive the speakers. It will sound much better than Stereo, definitely.

Thanks in advance to all!
Appreciate 1