F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > LSD or not?
Studio RSR

03-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #23
Askadry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipporabasta View Post
ok, a follow up question. will a welded diff(or a msport LSD1) make any difference? correct and enlighten me if if wrong please (bought my bimmer 3 weeks ago, and this is my first RWD i own ).
Your car has a open diff as others mention. Imagine you have 100% of power that somehow has to leave your engine by sending it to the will and whereever there is the least resistance the power will go. This means if you loose traction with one of the wheels that wheel will just spin (all power) while the other one stands still (no power). However that can somehow be compensated by having a "eLSD". The way that works is by applying brakes to the spinning wheel. Now the power is blocked on the spinning wheel and suddenly the other wheel gets the power and the car moves forward. This method really wears down your rear brakes and also your tires if you like to drive a bit spirited.

A welded diff is the total opposit of an open diff. It locks the possibility of distributing the power. This means that 50% of the power goes to each wheel under any circumstance.

The M Performance LSD has a lock of 30%. This allows the some wheel spin on one wheel but at least 30% of the power goes to the wheel with the most resistance at the same time meaning that the car will move forward at any time.

Then there is the "Active LSD" in M2/M3/M4. That one can adjust is lock levels electronically. It is done internally in the pumpkin with some sort of clutch technology and not by using brakes. I've tried that in a M4 on very narrow roads where I also drive my 335i and must admit that it just works perfectly.

The open diff has the advantage that it always follows a curve perfectly. If you take a very narrow curve and you have full traction the LSD can make the car feel like it rather like to go forward instead of taking the narrow curve. However if you start loosing traction the LSD makes much more fun. The Active LSD in the M cars combines the best of both worlds by locking the distribution perfectly to match the curve and still give the most possible traction.

Sadly there are no options of active LSDs for the F30.

BTW: I have a lot of footage from my driving so if there is a certain situation you'd like to see I might be able to find something.
From a street-drifting-fun-perspective, does the 3K$ worth it for the M Performance LSD?

Or stay with the stock open diff?

The is mu first rear wheel drive car, F30 335i
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #24
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Nice ride :-)

The question is actually simple. Do your wheels often spin when you're driving? If yes, then the extended smile of having a LSD will be worth the money :-)

I tried a M235i with the open diff and "eLSD" with poor tires. I was told to bring it to its (or my) limits and it was jumping from side to side all the time because it constantly applied the brakes on either the left or the right rear wheel. :-(
      03-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #25
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Your car has a open diff as others mention. Imagine you have 100% of power that somehow has to leave your engine by sending it to the will and whereever there is the least resistance the power will go. This means if you loose traction with one of the wheels that wheel will just spin (all power) while the other one stands still (no power). However that can somehow be compensated by having a "eLSD". The way that works is by applying brakes to the spinning wheel. Now the power is blocked on the spinning wheel and suddenly the other wheel gets the power and the car moves forward. This method really wears down your rear brakes and also your tires if you like to drive a bit spirited.

A welded diff is the total opposit of an open diff. It locks the possibility of distributing the power. This means that 50% of the power goes to each wheel under any circumstance.

The M Performance LSD has a lock of 30%. This allows the some wheel spin on one wheel but at least 30% of the power goes to the wheel with the most resistance at the same time meaning that the car will move forward at any time.

Then there is the "Active LSD" in M2/M3/M4. That one can adjust is lock levels electronically. It is done internally in the pumpkin with some sort of clutch technology and not by using brakes. I've tried that in a M4 on very narrow roads where I also drive my 335i and must admit that it just works perfectly.

The open diff has the advantage that it always follows a curve perfectly. If you take a very narrow curve and you have full traction the LSD can make the car feel like it rather like to go forward instead of taking the narrow curve. However if you start loosing traction the LSD makes much more fun. The Active LSD in the M cars combines the best of both worlds by locking the distribution perfectly to match the curve and still give the most possible traction.

BTW: I have a lot of footage from my driving so if there is a certain situation you'd like to see I might be able to find something.
I agree everything except on tour explanation of the 30% lockout: it means that the difference in torque between tire with more traction and tire with less traction will be up to 30%. So the wheel with more resistance will recive 65% of torque and on the other 35% will go to the wheel with less traction, not, respectevly 30-70 as you wrote
I'm really satisfied too with my M Performance LSD: the lockout is very fast and this makes the car more nervous (more oversteer in all condition), but really more funny and fast out of the tight corner!

Last edited by Gio72; 03-05-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #26
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Does a stock 340 or 335 come with LSD?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #27
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Does a stock 340 or 335 come with LSD?
No. Only M cars get a mechanical LSD.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 01:15 AM   #28
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72 View Post
I agree everything except on tour explanation of the 30% lockout: it means that the difference in torque between tire with more traction and tire with less traction will be up to 30%. So the wheel with more resistance will recive 65% of torque and on the other 35% will go to the wheel with less traction, not, respectevly 30-70 as you wrote
I'm really satisfied too with my M Performance LSD: the lockout is very fast and this makes the car more nervous (more oversteer in all condition), but really more funny and fast out of the tight corner!
I stand corrected :-)

I agree that it feels a bit more nervous but the fact that it is predictable makes it easier to handle.
      03-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #29
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:

I agree that it feels a bit more nervous but the fact that it is predictable makes it easier to handle.
Absolutely true! It's more "natural" and for me it's a come back to the past: on 1990 I learned to drive with an Alfa 75 1.8 turbo and a Maserati 2.24v both equipped with mechanical LSD!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #30
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:

Seconded, more nervous, but more fun, and more controllable.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #31
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72 View Post
I don't think that's actually correct. Not in the way BMW uses the term. The reason is because the M Performance LSD has a 30% lock on acceleration and a 9% lock on deceleration. The deceleration lock makes the differential perform more like an open differential.

In other words, the lower the %, the closer it is to an open differential. The higher the % the closer it performs to a welded diff.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 07:04 AM   #32
R1d3r
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EWG

Hello people,

Does anyone know where I can buy Lsd for F30 automatic from Europe?

Last edited by R1d3r; 09-30-2022 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #33
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1d3r View Post
Hello people,

Does anyone know where I can bought Lsd for F30 automatic from Europe?
Yeah, you need to find one.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:45 AM   #34
Bl00DY F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i M-Sport RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55david View Post
Yeah, you need to find one.
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      09-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #35
R1d3r
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl00DY F30 View Post
yeah, really funny
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #36
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I bought mine when they were selling for 500, so with install it came to 875. For Daily driver with some spirited driving, I say it's not worth the cost. I don't track the car and the only reason it's installed was because it only cost 800 bucks hehe
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3571.50
      11-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #37
jandeman58
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i M Performance

Quote:
Hello people,

Hardeman Motorsport in the Netherlands does OS Giken, better then M Sport. And they know their business.

Have one for years now under my 440I (400+ HP / 600Nm) combined with the Öhlins Road & Track (also mounted by Hardeman).

https://hardemanmotorsport.nl/#
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:40 PM   #38
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeman58 View Post
Hardeman Motorsport in the Netherlands does OS Giken, better then M Sport. And they know their business.

Have one for years now under my 440I (400+ HP / 600Nm) combined with the Öhlins Road & Track (also mounted by Hardeman).

https://hardemanmotorsport.nl/#
OS Giken offers a different experience but I wouldn't call it better as it's more tailored for hardcore track environment.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 03:14 PM   #39
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello people,

Birds Auto out of the UK can sell you a built one. They take a stock differential and modify it to how you want.