F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > VAC monoball upper control arms - 340xi
proTUNING Freaks

08-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
sdbwisc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 xdrive

VAC monoball upper control arms - 340xi

Installed VAC monoball upper control arms yesterday. Wow, what a difference! Granted, I did have 90k miles on my OEM control arms, so that might be a reason too lol. Steering and handling is tighter. Going to purchase the lower control arms soon. Just need to figure out what to do with my shocks and struts with lowering springs next!

You do feel the road more, but it's not horrible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
deathking134.50
      08-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Nice! ordered mine from Kies last week. It was listed as "preorder" *shrugs*.
sdbwisc66.00
      08-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
I bought them directly from vac. Let me know how you like them.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 03:47 AM   #4
snifflz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

Same boat as you -- my OEM suspension has 92k miles on it, and is pretty much shot. Which shocks/struts are you considering?
Appreciate 1
sdbwisc66.00
      09-08-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
FYI- Kies lists things as "preorder" if they aren't on the shelf, but they are already on order. So they could arrive at any time and ship right out to you. They like to set proper expectations so customers don't expect instant shipment if it isn't possible on a particular item.

VAC is a batch manufacturer. And VAC and Kies are located nearby. So Kies will have them on the shelf as soon as VAC completes a batch.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snifflz View Post
Same boat as you — my OEM suspension has 92k miles on it, and is pretty much shot. Which shocks/struts are you considering?
I'm thinking, B4 EDC with dinan springs or b16 Bilstein EDC. Haven't decided. But the eibachs are just too high and rake is awful. I don't want it slammed at all though....

I drove a M2 yesterday, now I'm thinking a m car lol. But I might just keep mine for another year or two and then wait for prices to get real!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbwisc View Post
I'm thinking, B4 EDC with dinan springs or b16 Bilstein EDC. Haven't decided. But the eibachs are just too high and rake is awful. I don't want it slammed at all though....

I drove a M2 yesterday, now I'm thinking a m car lol. But I might just keep mine for another year or two and then wait for prices to get real!
why do you pick strut that is so far away ? i mean B4 is a standard oem replacement, and B16 is a coilover. price also far different.

i am also on the same boat, but with B4 and B6, either B4 sport with shorter strut or B6, if B4 sport, with eibach sportline or B6 with eibach proline.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #8
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
why do you pick strut that is so far away ? i mean B4 is a standard oem replacement, and B16 is a coilover. price also far different.

i am also on the same boat, but with B4 and B6, either B4 sport with shorter strut or B6, if B4 sport, with eibach sportline or B6 with eibach proline.
Well, reason is not sure if I need coilovers, don't track it. It's a DD. But I'm AWD with EDC. Don't want to slam it. But I don't want the stock height. I am leaning towards the cheaper side.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
Dagstar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport

Quote:
Installed VAC monoball upper control arms yesterday. Wow, what a difference! Granted, I did have 90k miles on my OEM control arms, so that might be a reason too lol. Steering and handling is tighter. Going to purchase the lower control arms soon. Just need to figure out what to do with my shocks and struts with lowering springs next!

You do feel the road more, but it's not horrible.
How long did they take to ship after ordering? Been debating when I should order. I checked with VAC directly a month or so ago and they couldn't give me a timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
How long did they take to ship after ordering? Been debating when I should order. I checked with VAC directly a month or so ago and they couldn't give me a timeframe.
I got them within a few days, 4 I think. That was direct from VAC.
Appreciate 1
Dagstar345.00
      09-12-2022, 05:44 PM   #11
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Realized I never updated this thread with my results regarding my.... You guys were right even though Kies said pre-order it was literally delivered in like 2 days.

Something I was thinking about... Would these cause increased wear on the front struts? I currently have ACS springs on stock struts in my x drive. I realize that by design these mono ball do not have any spring rate since there is no bushing..... However if you think about the stock arms the tension on the bushing has a spring rate associated to it has it articulates and wants to return back to its normal position

Any thoughts the lack of that additional force would have any measurable effect on a lifetime of the strut
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 05:48 PM   #12
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Realized I never updated this thread with my results regarding my.... You guys were right even though Kies said pre-order it was literally delivered in like 2 days.

Something I was thinking about... Would these cause increased wear on the front struts? I currently have ACS springs on stock struts in my x drive. I realize that by design these mono ball do not have any spring rate since there is no bushing..... However if you think about the stock arms the tension on the bushing has a spring rate associated to it has it articulates and wants to return back to its normal position

Any thoughts the lack of that additional force would have any measurable effect on a lifetime of the strut
I personally think there will be less wear and tear on other suspension parts. Less flex, just my opinion. I'm in love with the control arms. I'm thinking lower control arms are needed eventually.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #13
deathking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i / 2017 X3

Just ordered upper and lowers from Kies since VAC doesn't offer free shipping. I have an F22 but you F3X guys have been leading the research with this option. Can't wait to throw these on along with Dinan springs
      12-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #14
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathking View Post
I have an F22 but you F3X guys have been leading the research with this option. Can't wait to throw these on along with Dinan springs
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1711664
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29508105
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721575

i suggest Eibach Pro-Kit, better street/daily ride, fixes reverse rake, designed to used with OEM dampers. shorter bumpstops recommended.

https://www.eibachshop.com/
choose your vehicle to find the appropriate part number

however if you are set on Dinan regardless...have at it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 08:14 AM   #15
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

UPDATE - It's been over a year since having these. You can feel the road more, but not in a bad way! The handling is MUCH improved! I put them on at 89k. The suspension needed a refresh, so I installed B4 Blisten shocks/struts. That of course made a huge improvement. But lifting the car up Saturday, my passenger side upper control arm is sloppy. The driver side is good. I have 11k on them, didn't drive it in the winter.

Otherwise, I would buy them again for the better handling.

I did email because I don't see the warranty on their site.

Thinking of doing the VAC Motorsports Front Lower Control Arms next. Guessing that will help even more...?

Last edited by sdbwisc; 11-27-2023 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #16
wishbone
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP, '14 F30 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [9.00]
Quote:
UPDATE - It's been over a year since having these. You can feel the road more, but not in a bad way! The handling is MUCH improved! I put them on at 89k. The suspension needed a refresh, so I installed B4 Blisten shocks/struts. That of course made a huge improvement. But lifting the car up Saturday, my passenger side upper control arm is sloppy. The driver side is good. I have 11k on them, didn't drive it in the winter.

Thinking of doing the VAC Motorsports Front Lower Control Arms next. Guessing that will help even more...?
i feel like fewer people do the lowers. The performance upgrade appears to be a better bang for your buck on the UCA/thrust arms (which you already did).

Up to you regarding OEM or VAC but even OEM is probably sufficient

F30 328i 2014 / dinan sport kit / premium pkg / 6-speed / nav / hex trim / HK sound / B14 coilovers / oem roof rack / active autowerke exhaust / eventuri CAI
Appreciate 1
sdbwisc66.00
      12-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

A few years ago I did the front VAC Upper Control (thrust) Arms first, mostly because I didn’t have the cash at the time to also do the lowers. About a year later I followed up by installing the front VAC Lower Control Arms (wishbones).

If you don’t have the funds to both at the same time it is definitely worth doing the Upper Thrust Arms first for two reasons:

1) The stock Thrust Arm bushing tends to wear out first, leaking fluid. Even if it’s not leaking yet, the odds are that the stock Uppers will need replacement before the stock Lowers.

2) The Upper Thrust Arm has more of an effect on steering then the Lower Wishbone. So installing the VAC Monoball Upper Thrust Arm will provide the most steering improvement.

The front VAC Monoball Lower Wishbones definitely add to the steering improvement. Based on my experience I’d say that the improvement from stock Lower Wishbone to VAC Monoball Lower Wishbone was another 50% improvement added to the steering improvement from stock Upper Thrust Arms to VAC Monoball Upper Thrust Arms.

I am very happy to have both pairs of front VAC Monoball Control Arms. The steering is now so much more precise. That stock vague F3x steering feel is gone! There is absolutely no additional Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) transmitted to the cabin occupants. What is added is a really nice road feel, transmitted to the driver’s hands. With the VAC Front Monoball Control Arms the steering finally feels and performs like a fine European Sports Sedan should.
Appreciate 4
daveyfx37.00
Dobrin1.50
sygazelle11329.50
      12-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #18
sdbwisc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
A few years ago I did the front VAC Upper Control (thrust) Arms first, mostly because I didn’t have the cash at the time to also do the lowers. About a year later I followed up by installing the front VAC Lower Control Arms (wishbones).

If you don’t have the funds to both at the same time it is definitely worth doing the Upper Thrust Arms first for two reasons:

1) The stock Thrust Arm bushing tends to wear out first, leaking fluid. Even if it’s not leaking yet, the odds are that the stock Uppers will need replacement before the stock Lowers.

2) The Upper Thrust Arm has more of an effect on steering then the Lower Wishbone. So installing the VAC Monoball Upper Thrust Arm will provide the most steering improvement.

The front VAC Monoball Lower Wishbones definitely add to the steering improvement. Based on my experience I’d say that the improvement from stock Lower Wishbone to VAC Monoball Lower Wishbone was another 50% improvement added to the steering improvement from stock Upper Thrust Arms to VAC Monoball Upper Thrust Arms.

I am very happy to have both pairs of front VAC Monoball Control Arms. The steering is now so much more precise. That stock vague F3x steering feel is gone! There is absolutely no additional Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) transmitted to the cabin occupants. What is added is a really nice road feel, transmitted to the driver’s hands. With the VAC Front Monoball Control Arms the steering finally feels and performs like a fine European Sports Sedan should.
I guess I will have to buy myself the lowers for Xmas
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2023, 12:33 PM   #19
Juny
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 230i m sport

Quote:

I’m trying to buy the upper ones first. Direct from their page. But can’t see them. I want just the bushings. Mine is a f22. Maybe the same. Do you have any link for those?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #20
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juny View Post
I’m trying to buy the upper ones first. Direct from their page. But can’t see them. I want just the bushings. Mine is a f22. Maybe the same. Do you have any link for those?
You need to start by seeing if the parts are even compatible. What are the last 7 digits of your VIN?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #21
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330iX Sedan

Garage List
I don't think VAC sells the bushings without the control arms. However, Millway does:

https://www.millway.se/control-arm-b...t-f2x-f3x.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juny View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:39 PM   #22
Juny
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 230i m sport

Quote:
You need to start by seeing if the parts are even compatible. What are the last 7 digits of your VIN?
VD09814
I asked Vac by email. She had to double check and said that gave me an answer today. But still waiting.