F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Anyone drop only the front?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Anyone drop only the front?

Like all cars, my 340i xdrive sits higher in the front than the rear. Per rough measurements its roughly .5" higher front vs rear. Has anyone but something mild like the 06-22 eibach springs on the front only on their xdrive?

For some context, this is somewhat popular on the m3 as the difference on those cars is more pronounced. It pretty much gives the perfect drop for a DD

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1600365

I've done this on my previous car, an Infiniti g37. it looked perfect and no noticeable difference from stock in comfort (attached for reference, tanabe 1" drop front only). it seems the eibach spring rate is within 10% of stock so shouldn't be too unbalanced, but my hesitation is the fact its a .8 drop which may look too raked. If it was a .6 drop I would just go for it. This is purely for looks and I don't expect handling gains (though i don't want to make it worse). If anyone has done this share some pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #2
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

It seems you'd be better suited with coilovers so you could control the height F/R
      08-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #3
Eurocraze
Custom User Title
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

i did this with my e92 couple months after i first got it... bought some H&R sport springs... and just put the fronts on.... with a set of 19's on it looked pretty good...ill have to try n dig some pics out on my phone when i get a chance. but yea it worked out well.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
It seems you'd be better suited with coilovers so you could control the height F/R
That's overkill for my needs. I purely want a slightly better stance and to retain as much ride quality as possible. Just can't get myself to spend the cost needed for a quality set up with my very modest goals.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurocraze View Post
i did this with my e92 couple months after i first got it... bought some H&R sport springs... and just put the fronts on.... with a set of 19's on it looked pretty good...ill have to try n dig some pics out on my phone when i get a chance. but yea it worked out well.
would love to see pics. any issues with that set up?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danarino View Post
That's overkill for my needs. I purely want a slightly better stance and to retain as much ride quality as possible. Just can't get myself to spend the cost needed for a quality set up with my very modest goals.
I was also going to suggest coilovers. Retaining the ride quality with potentially mismatched shocks and springs may not be the outcome you will get. Only coilovers will offer an option to tune the suspension behavior after initial installation.

Yet the budget constraints are fully acknowledged.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #7
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I was also going to suggest coilovers. Retaining the ride quality with potentially mismatched shocks and springs may not be the outcome you will get. Only coilovers will offer an option to tune the suspension behavior after initial installation.

Yet the budget constraints are fully acknowledged.
Yea, its a situation where I'd be happier stock than to have a perfect mild drop at a high cost, knowing all I really wanted was to even out the fender gap. I'm a big OEM+ guy and I hate reverse rake. I've done full suspension on past cars but not looking to take it that far for the f30. With a newborn and a wife that easily gets car sick, I like the idea of keeping the stock height in the rear and just fixing the rake. It was such a perfect move on my g37 to do just the fronts and the M3 crowd seems happy with the results as well. My hesitation is simply the fact that I can't find a pic of anyone that's done it as well as the concern it might be a smidge too low in the front with a muscle car stance.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

the forward rake of those M3/4 you've shown is also caused by staggered tire diameters, whereas OEM tire diameters for F3/4 x-drives need to be essentially equal, so the gaps may not have a similar outcome. imo, you'd need to run staggered tire diameters as well, which you cannot because of x-drive.

imo, doing 6-22 fronts only would likely be fine with minimal effect on handling and ride. if it were me, i'd just do the complete Eibach Pro-Kit 6-22 since the rears are easy, spring rates are matched and my opinion on doing the front only could be wrong.

post some pics after it is installed
Appreciate 2
Kirby8677.50
      08-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
the forward rake of those M3/4 you've shown is also caused by staggered tire diameters, whereas OEM tire diameters for F3/4 x-drives need to be essentially equal, so the gaps may not have a similar outcome. imo, you'd need to run staggered tire diameters as well, which you cannot because of x-drive.

imo, doing 6-22 fronts only would likely be fine with minimal effect on handling and ride. if it were me, i'd just do the complete Eibach Pro-Kit 6-22 since the rears are easy, spring rates are matched and my opinion on doing the front only could be wrong.

post some pics after it is installed
Good point re the M3. Definitely more pronounced with that car. I’m awaiting a 255 square set of Apex fl-5 (18x8.5 et35) wheels which will fill things out a bit more better visually vs my 400m 225 wheels. I saw that the e90 cars had a cheap fix for the rake in the form of a smaller strut top which dropped the front .5”. Unfortunately our suspension doesn’t allow for that type of modification.

To that end, is there a simple way to raise the rear very slightly? I could in theory get the full 06-22 kit and raise the rear .2” to achieve the even look I desire via a spacer of some sort assuming that’s safe and smart.

Also, same question re the front. I could add a spacer of some sort to achieve .5” drop for a front only set up.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #10
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

I'd avoid spring spacers and try just the 6-22 front first.

Just a thought...consider RWD M-sport front only (or both f+r spring) as it lowers less than Eibach 6-22 with forward rake.

Post a WTB in the member classifieds susp sub-forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Like all cars, my 340i xdrive sits higher in the front than the rear. Per rough measurements its roughly .5" higher front vs rear. Has anyone but something mild like the 06-22 eibach springs on the front only on their xdrive?

For some context, this is somewhat popular on the m3 as the difference on those cars is more pronounced. It pretty much gives the perfect drop for a DD

I've done this on my previous car, an Infiniti g37. it looked perfect and no noticeable difference from stock in comfort (attached for reference, tanabe 1" drop front only). it seems the eibach spring rate is within 10% of stock so shouldn't be too unbalanced, but my hesitation is the fact its a .8 drop which may look too raked. If it was a .6 drop I would just go for it. This is purely for looks and I don't expect handling gains (though i don't want to make it worse). If anyone has done this share some pics.
You probably could put the Front springs from the Eibach -06 kit on your 340ix and see how the rake looks. It drops the front by 0.8" (but that's along with the rear drop of 0.6" with the kit)

Eibach only sells spring sets in the US, but they sell single axle springs in Europe. See if Tunershop can get them for you. Part number is: F11-20-031-06-VA
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you get a chance, please measure your chassis height at all four corners with a tape measure. From centerpoint on wheel logo straight up to closet point under the fender lip. As accurately as possible. I've been collecting measurements so I may be able to provide some insight to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:12 AM   #13
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
I'd avoid spring spacers and try just the 6-22 front first.

Just a thought...consider RWD M-sport front only (or both f+r spring) as it lowers less than Eibach 6-22 with forward rake.

Post a WTB in the member classifieds susp sub-forum.
I was looking into this but could find much in terms of real world results of people who have done this. If you know of any threads showing this I’d love to see it. My only concern with this route would be the springs not being designed for the weight of my car. Likely not a big deal though as they have to be engineered for varying weights with passengers on board and the difference isn’t huge.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:18 AM   #14
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
You probably could put the Front springs from the Eibach -06 kit on your 340ix and see how the rake looks. It drops the front by 0.8" (but that's along with the rear drop of 0.6" with the kit)

Eibach only sells spring sets in the US, but they sell single axle springs in Europe. See if Tunershop can get them for you. Part number is: F11-20-031-06-VA
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look to do that if I move forward. Still hung up on them being a quarter inch too low for my needs. I’d be paying someone to install then align the car so whatever I decide I’m only doing it once so I want to make sure I get it right.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:21 AM   #15
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you get a chance, please measure your chassis height at all four corners with a tape measure. From centerpoint on wheel logo straight up to closet point under the fender lip. As accurately as possible. I've been collecting measurements so I may be able to provide some insight to you.
Will do, I’ll post back results. Just need to find a nice level surface as this car can vary quite a bit on the slightest of angles.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:52 AM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Will do, I’ll post back results. Just need to find a nice level surface as this car can vary quite a bit on the slightest of angles.
This particular measurement from center of wheel logo up to fender lip shouldn't vary much. But other measurements I've learned to do only on a level concrete pad. Asphalt may look level but it's actually very wavy.

I actually got rear wheel chassis height measurements that differed a bit. I'm going to fill the gas tank and measure again. It's a split left/right tank so I wonder if that could be part of it.

16 gallons of gas weighs almost 100 lbs. Plus my full size spare in the trunk weighs about 50 lbs. I've always heard to do alignments with a full tank and whatever is normally in the trunk. And a good alignment shop will put weights in the drivers seat to compensate for their weight.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #17
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So to post an update, I didn't get a perfect measurement, but its roughly 10mm higher in the front vs the rear. Given that the front only drop would essentially just give me the same rake except in the opposite direction, I figured the best course of action would be to get the full 06-22 kit and order a mild rear spring spacer. After alot of digging around, i found that BMW actually sold a factory rear spring spacer known as the "poor road package" in other markets. Its no longer available through BMW, but it is still available on ebay. Its a 5mm spacers, but from the 1 review I've found it raised the rear 8mm after install. I went ahead and ordered a set. Here is a link to a thread with a review and the part number. In theory, this is a perfect solution to the people that want a mild drop no lower than the 06-22 up front, but would like to balance out the reverse rake. The total drop should come to .8" front and .3" rear. If anyone else has done this let me know.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1429989&page=2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19256840951...Bk9SR7Dtq5XsYA
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #18
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
So to post an update, I didn't get a perfect measurement, but its roughly 10mm higher in the front vs the rear. Given that the front only drop would essentially just give me the same rake except in the opposite direction, I figured the best course of action would be to get the full 06-22 kit and order a mild rear spring spacer. After alot of digging around, i found that BMW actually sold a factory rear spring spacer known as the "poor road package" in other markets. Its no longer available through BMW, but it is still available on ebay. Its a 5mm spacers, but from the 1 review I've found it raised the rear 8mm after install. I went ahead and ordered a set. Here is a link to a thread with a review and the part number. In theory, this is a perfect solution to the people that want a mild drop no lower than the 06-22 up front, but would like to balance out the reverse rake. The total drop should come to .8" front and .3" rear. If anyone else has done this let me know.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429989&page=2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192568409515?hash=item2cd5f8bdab:g:usMAAOSwRbNhriM 9&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4NuKxdbgsLiRJR39xV5tnW%2Fkt qZXT6yp4qMaZVmqm92NLdKjrsZVSQwf7sxMkFKuHBmrL5x0gLK n%2BzcoH6LXpwq3ZxJEPugAMUJrP395l8WMtxRpfX6OsUKhHbY eP60xmyynZ3pAx%2BQAgEXPPBem4RrFq62QYxb9%2BmTgO9du5 c0HP7kq8vTY04Vwt65nuPwM70dbu%2BYrpkHa2%2BWHLYZvNz0 jCBbMhf4M2yui5M8%2FtQZgEyzsBusTCdybq04hKloyauoCHay mnmTGjxJ384fWV%2Bm%2F5LEKaa%2Fn73KAqAfu1nb3%7Ctkp% 3ABk9SR7Dtq5XsYA
@FaRKle shows you how to make a diy rear height adjustable spring perch (in addition to a million other good ideas). Try searching here or his YouTube channel. "Diy has" or something like that. It's cheap and easy from what I remember. This could be a simple solution for you
Edit: it was pretty easy to find so here you go
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652333
      09-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #19
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I saw that but this solution cost $30 and uses an oem part specifically designed for the car. Not looking to make adjustments so for my needs this is the best approach. I was able to find multiple other threads for this same mod on some other cars and the results were exactly what I want (found results of people who did this on the m3 and 1 and 2 series, 6-8 mm raise in the rear for others I found). Can’t really beat an oem solution for $30 if you want to fix reverse rake common to a number of springs. Especially for those that are comfortable doing their own work, why not give this a shot? Now my only debate is if I put it in off the bat or try the springs as is first.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #20
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Cool, I didn't see the part where you found the oe part on ebay. Let us know your opinion if you install them. It looks like that other thread died without any long term user data.
      09-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #21
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

He posted an update on another thread that it had no issues. Then I found other threads for different platforms. I included a link to the part on eBay a few posts up. Let me see if I can find some of those other threads. Everyone complains about the reverse rake and I feel like I struck gold with this find. I’m not comfortable putting custom diy parts on my car, especially on suspension or brakes, so finding something oem or engineered by a reputable company was crucial to me.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #22
danarino
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here's a couple threads with people that have installed these spacers. I know i found a couple more sources when I did my deep dive but either way, it was enough to sell me that this is the best approach to safely raise the rear 5-10mm.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854616

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1576121&page=2
Appreciate 0