F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Could have been way worse…
ARMA SPEED

09-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
abar85
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw 428 GC

Took a holiday weekend trip down to see my parents in NC and spend the weekend fishing. Almost didn't make it back. Left boat ramp at 845p and drove down the dark country roads. Came up to a 90* left turn. And had no time to do anything. Went off the bend down 8-9' into a drain ditch. Car took it like a champ. Mostly cosmetic. Insurance will cover it. I got some bumps,bruises and whiplash but I'm alive.

So now the question is. Since I'll have a check for the repairs, instead of the factory sportline bumpers, I'd like to do the m4 bumper from kies. I have a '15 gran coupe. Kies websiste says the rear m4 bumper technically doesn't fit but that it can with modifications. Does anyone know what mods are needed?
Also, I will need two new headlights. Mine are operational but two small cracks in lenses. Are the lenses replaceable ? I'd like to keep the lights and maybe repair for a back up set. But that's besides the point. What replacement lights are recommended? I was thinking maybe the LCI style. Any input or suggestions ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

The head light lenses can come off if you heat up the glue and cut off the lense. I don't believe there are OEM lenses but there are aftermarket lenses you can get that you can glue back on.

In my opinion the M4 bumpers don't look good on the F32 since it has a narrower body. Retrofitting the M Sport bumpers would a better choice. But if you go the M4 bumper route be sure to delete your front fog lights if you have them the F32 M4 style front bumper looks terrible with fog lights because of the narrow body plus an M4 doesn't have fog lights.

Replacement lights you should go the LCI adaptive route they look much more aggressive. You will have to have them coded. There's a guy on the F80 board that can provide the harness and do the coding.

Glad you're ok.
Appreciate 1
abar8514.50
      09-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
The head light lenses can come off if you heat up the glue and cut off the lense. I don't believe there are OEM lenses but there are aftermarket lenses you can get that you can glue back on.

In my opinion the M4 bumpers don't look good on the F32 since it has a narrower body. Retrofitting the M Sport bumpers would a better choice. But if you go the M4 bumper route be sure to delete your front fog lights if you have them the F43 M4 style front bumper looks terrible with fog lights because of the narrow body plus an M4 doesn't have fog lights.

Replacement lights you should go the LCI adaptive route they look much more aggressive. You will have to have them coded. There's a guy on the F80 board that can provide the harness and do the coding.

Glad you're ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post

In my opinion the M4 bumpers don't look good on the F32 since it has a narrower body. Retrofitting the M Sport bumpers would a better choice. But if you go the M4 bumper route be sure to delete your front fog lights if you have them the F43 M4 style front bumper looks terrible with fog lights because of the narrow body plus an M4 doesn't have fog lights.

Glad you're ok.

Thanks for the feedback, honestly maybe I should do some more image searches and see what the m4 looks like. I keep seeing what you said mentioned. I certainly don't want it took bad. I've always wanted the Mperf bumpers but when I was searching yesterday I saw the M4 retro available and just thought man that would look great. I don't want to lose my fogs, so I should probably just stick with the Mperf kit. I never thought of the look being weird with an M4 having fog lights, until You mentioned it. I completely forgot they didn't come with fogs.

So the LCI lights are still Adaptive right? I had some other things I wanted coded as well so that won't be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #4
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by abar85 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, honestly maybe I should do some more image searches and see what the m4 looks like. I keep seeing what you said mentioned. I certainly don't want it took bad. I've always wanted the Mperf bumpers but when I was searching yesterday I saw the M4 retro available and just thought man that would look great. I don't want to lose my fogs, so I should probably just stick with the Mperf kit. I never thought of the look being weird with an M4 having fog lights, until You mentioned it. I completely forgot they didn't come with fogs.

So the LCI lights are still Adaptive right? I had some other things I wanted coded as well so that won't be a problem.
No prob. The LCI icons are adaptive like the ones in my profile picture.
Appreciate 2
abar8514.50
Pauloxxi339.00
      09-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
p0p
Ninja
Rep
Drives: N54 & B58

Garage List
Did you catch anything?? Red drums?

At least you're ok
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      09-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #6
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

So you fell asleep at the wheel or just weren't paying attention? Speeding a lot or ?
I don't understand how insurance would cover you just going off the road
Appreciate 3
chowser512025.00
sspade2464.50
      09-08-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
So you fell asleep at the wheel or just weren't paying attention? Speeding a lot or ?
"Drove down the dark country roads" -> "didn't have time to do anything."

Correct speed for the situation was not used.
Appreciate 9
Icarium81258.50
Wires1645.50
McGyv3r161.00
rokop10.00
chowser512025.00
sspade2464.50
Solidjake945.00
      09-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Sorry your car wrecked and I'm glad you were not hurt.

A little advice: Don't say "Came up to a 90* left turn. And had no time to do anything" followed with a photo of the road that completely contradicts your statement.

There's no harm in saying you f*cked up. Just say it. It's easy. We all would understand. What I can't understand is how you ran your car off the road on a perfectly normal turn and blame anyone but yourself.

The more likely reasons could be:

- not paying attention
- driving too fast
- under the influence
- texting
- distracted
- fell asleep
- some combination of the above

Only you know what really happened. It's okay to own it.

I hope your whiplash turns out to be nothing. Welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 5
      09-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #9
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Post pics of the car not that its out of the ditch.

Curious how bad the cosmetics are.

Personally i wouldnt put M bodyparts on a non M car. Did the air bags deploy?

If you have extra cash after the repairs maybe look into upgrading the car itself
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
Personally i wouldnt put M bodyparts on a non M car. Did the air bags deploy?
I agree on not putting M4-style parts on there. Never looks quite right. M-Sport however would be great!

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
toxik2433.50
      09-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #11
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Yeah, that turn is nowhere near as bad as what happened on a trip with my cousin.

No streetlights, because this was a street in the backwoods of Romanian. Long straightaway, followed by a sudden 110 degree turn, with no sign being there (supposedly, it got taken out by prior accidents)... thanks fully there was a lamp near the corner and my cousin caught it from a distance. We still slid like 20 yards into a field (this was in a 2001 Celica, took it like a champ)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #12
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0p View Post

At least you're ok
Quote:

At least you're ok
Funny you say they. We did. Two big red drums. 22" and 24"
Appreciate 2
p0p144.00
Pauloxxi339.00
      09-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #13
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico- View Post
Quote:

Quote:

At least you're ok
Quote:
Quote:

You're right; the 5 sheriffs and state trooper that were there totally dropped the ball on charging me with an offense. They must not know how to do their jobs correctly. How can you be an adult and not understand how insurance works?

I guess I better get bmw to replace my faulty airbags, according to you, since i was traveling at such a high rate of speed they must be faulty if they didn't deploy.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      09-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #14
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

A little advice: Don't say "Came up to a 90* left turn. And had no time to do anything" followed with a photo of the road that completely contradicts your statement.

There's no harm in saying you f*cked up. Just say it. It's easy. We all would understand. What I can't understand is how you ran your car off the road on a perfectly normal turn and blame anyone but yourself.

- not paying attention
- driving too fast
- under the influence
- texting
- distracted
- fell asleep

Quote:

At least you're ok
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

- not paying attention
- driving too fast
- under the influence
- texting
- distracted
- fell asleep

O

Please help me understand where you see a perfectly normal turn in the road? Why is it that guys online feel the need to validate their opinions using knowledge they do not posses?

Please show me where else there are 90* turns unmarked that are part of normal roads. You sound ridiculous.

Again; 5 sheriffs and state troopers conducted their job. I don't drink and drive, it's was 845 at night. please explain What am I failing to admit to? I approached a turn on a back country road that turns 90*. Without warning. The county is full of these turns. They all have ample warming. This is an unmarked street. No signs. Of any kind. It's a Failure on the town. I had been driving for 60 seconds prior to the accident. Grow up man.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #15
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
Insurance literally exists to protect drivers from the results of negligence. What insurance does NOT cover is anything that results from an intentional act, aka a car purpose. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/q263ueDzafQ
This is why you don't see people getting revenge on high school bullies by ramming into their cars.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      09-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #16
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Woah, This thread took an expected turn.....

See what I did there? Full srs, what are you leaning towards for repairs. I think Farkle's idea of putting the M sport bumpers is an excellent idea instead of the full M bumpers. It would look much more natural. I think you have exhaust on only 1 side right? You could change the valence and a "dual" pipe installed like is on the 335i.

That I think would look amazing!! Also, any chance that your suspension has been damaged? If so, look into maybe upgrading the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #17
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
O

Please help me understand where you see a perfectly normal turn in the road? Why is it that guys online feel the need to validate their opinions using knowledge they do not posses?

Please show me where else there are 90* turns unmarked that are part of normal roads. You sound ridiculous.

Again; 5 sheriffs and state troopers conducted their job. I don't drink and drive, it's was 845 at night. please explain What am I failing to admit to? I approached a turn on a back country road that turns 90*. Without warning. The county is full of these turns. They all have ample warming. This is an unmarked street. No signs. Of any kind. It's a Failure on the town. I had been driving for 60 seconds prior to the accident. Grow up man.
We comment on what we see. In your third picture, there is a street light right in that corner which illuminates the entire turn, eliminating the statement of it being dark. This accompanied by the fact that you probably came in via a boat (or as a passenger) since it's a dead-end (otherwise perhaps you would have already passed that turn before and known about it), your speed should be extremely slow, looking at that satellite image and because of the fact that you said it was dark.

It looks like to me that signs probably are not put in for "leaving" the area as it would be "redundant". Not sure how U.S.A manages street sign placements, but to me I don't see a need to have a sign there. With the correct speed, you have a lot of time to turn the steering wheel. Looking at how far your car is in the ditch, doesn't look like slow enough to me. If it really took you 60 seconds to reach that turn, that would indeed be extremely slow.
Attached Images

Last edited by NxTH; 09-09-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Solidjake945.00
      09-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #18
abar85
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
O

We comment on what we see. In your third picture, there is a street light right in that corner which illuminates the entire turn, eliminating the statement of it being dark. This accompanied by the fact that you probably came in via a boat (or as a passenger) since it's a dead-end (otherwise perhaps you would have already passed that turn before and known about it), your speed should be extremely slow, looking at that satellite image and because of the fact that you said it was dark. It looks like to me that signs probably are not put in for "leaving" the area as it would be "redundant". Not sure how U.S.A manages street sign placements, but to me I don't see a need to have a sign there. With the correct speed, you have a lot of time to turn the steering wheel. Looking at how far your car is in the ditch, doesn't look like slow enough to me.
Quote:
Quote:
O

We comment on what we see. In your third picture, there is a street light right in that corner which illuminates the entire turn, eliminating the statement of it being dark. This accompanied by the fact that you probably came in via a boat (or as a passenger) since it's a dead-end (otherwise perhaps you would have already passed that turn before and known about it), your speed should be extremely slow, looking at that satellite image and because of the fact that you said it was dark. It looks like to me that signs probably are not put in for "leaving" the area as it would be "redundant". Not sure how U.S.A manages street sign placements, but to me I don't see a need to have a sign there. With the correct speed, you have a lot of time to turn the steering wheel. Looking at how far your car is in the ditch, doesn't look like slow enough to me.
Lol ok.

Now the Fucking bimmer forum is full
Of accident scene investigators. I give up. I'll go fuck my self. I hate the car enthusiast community. I really do. It's a shame. There's a few guys here that's gave great helpful advice and feedback. And then there are the few inbreds that just over ride the good.

To the guys that helped. Thank you. I value the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #19
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
O

I understand that you are pi$$ed. I would be too if I'd wrecked my car. Only you know the exact conditions at the time. But, you also shared a photo that absolutely shows a paved, two lane, sweeping turn with a streetlight.

Now that you are attacking those who don't respond in the manner you like, you share a phone map overhead of hairpin 90, which is not the case. In real life, the turn is a sweeping 90 with a streetlight as indicated by your very own photo of the scene and the google overhead photo I'm attaching to this response.

If you want to call me inbred or whatever else you choose, fine by me. I'm simply responding to what I see. If you think you going the proper speed and were not distracted and this accident it the road's fault, so be it. I hope you and your car are okay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
NxTH194.00
chowser512025.00
Solidjake945.00
      09-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #20
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

Damn, this got out of hand quickly....WTF? I get it, shit happens, but I'd like to point out, that turn doesn't look that bad, and is also directly under a street light...(your picture) and the not being marked part, you had to pass that turn on the way there...I'm just saying....shit happens, I have hit the same pot hole about six times, and I know it's there...no excuses from me, but I'm glad you are OK and I feel you, about the car...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 01:41 AM   #21
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
We comment on what we see. In your third picture, there is a street light right in that corner which illuminates the entire turn, eliminating the statement of it being dark. This accompanied by the fact that you probably came in via a boat (or as a passenger) since it's a dead-end (otherwise perhaps you would have already passed that turn before and known about it), your speed should be extremely slow, looking at that satellite image and because of the fact that you said it was dark.

It looks like to me that signs probably are not put in for "leaving" the area as it would be "redundant". Not sure how U.S.A manages street sign placements, but to me I don't see a need to have a sign there. With the correct speed, you have a lot of time to turn the steering wheel. Looking at how far your car is in the ditch, doesn't look like slow enough to me. If it really took you 60 seconds to reach that turn, that would indeed be extremely slow.
To be honest, this is a BMW forum. Nobody drives these cars at the correct speed.
Appreciate 3
      09-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #22
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hate the car enthusiast community. I really do.
My apologies if you took this personally.

This has nothing to do with the "car enthusiast community". Nothing here added up, so people got very curious about the actual situation. This seems more like asking for validation, which we are unfortunately unable to give due to the circumstances. The only thing you never mentioned was your speed, and probably for a good reason. You're just too proud to own to your mistakes. Had you been going slow enough, only a tap on the brakes would have made the car stop. As a rule of thumb, whenever you are in the backroads in the dark or whatever the situation, your speed should match your reaction time. If you are going in such speed where you are unable to react to the road's curvature, you're going too fast. Distracted or not. If I came to that lit turn going 60mp/h and 15mp/h, I know that with the latter I'm able to stop even say, if I was using the iDrive. No chance otherwise.

The distance from the road and where your car ended, indicates either a hefty braking distance, or you simply weren't paying attention and kept going onwards. None of this is personal, but you decided to take it as such. Everyone here is glad you are alright, but not owning to your own mishaps prevents you from learning from the experience. Sometimes it comes with time.
Appreciate 4
Wires1645.50
sygazelle11340.50
chowser512025.00