F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmertech Apple carplay mmi issue
Studio RSR

03-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
335Ynot
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 14 535d

Bimmertech Apple carplay mmi issue

Attached is an email I received today, I'm pretty upset after spending $525 and waiting for a over a month for a back ordered item to find out it doesn't work as advertised and the only fix currently is to solder stuff myself
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Oh boy. Why don't they just send you a replacement instead?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
335Ynot
No_Country
Rep

Yeah honestly idk what's going on spoke with customer service they have no time line so right now I have a $500 box sitting on my counter top
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

I was fascinated enough to buy BimmerTech for their genuine-like concept with their products.

They are not interested in full-screen and wireless MMI. So because of that, I have my eyes towards Unique's option at this point. The only downside would be the external microphone.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      03-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
335Ynot
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
I was fascinated enough to buy BimmerTech for their genuine-like concept with their products.

They are not interested in full-screen and wireless MMI. So because of that, I have my eyes towards Unique's option at this point. The only downside would be the external microphone.
Fair enough I wanted a factory like system and no additional microphone but now I'm starting to regret my decision, and I have not even installed it yet
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
335Ynot
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
The purpose of the email was to inform our customers about the issue before they install the product. Our priority is to offer a software fix. For the time being the hardware solution is only for the customers who are willing to do it and don’t want to wait. If we can’t fix the problem with the software update within the next couple of days, we will offer free shipping to return the units for the hardware fix and will send them back the next day.

The issue is caused by the three resistors that were unnecessarily added to the PCB in the production. Simply, they shouldn’t be there. Nothing else is wrong with the units.
We apologize everyone for the inconvenience and we guarantee it will be fixed very soon.
So I took it to an electronics repair place and had the resistors removed professionally per the email it is still dim. I'm hoping you guys come up with a software fix soon or I'll send my unit back and hopefully you can fix this thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
Aajav-Khan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Sakhir Orange CCB

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [10.00]
[QUOTE=Patrys@BimmerTech;24578273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Ynot View Post
So I took it to an electronics repair place and had the resistors removed professionally per the email it is still dim. I'm hoping you guys come up with a software fix soon or I'll send my unit back and hopefully you can fix this thing.
That's very strange as the fix has been confirmed to work fine by at least a few customers. Anyway we will fix it for you, so don't worry about it.

While we are still working on the software fix, we are preparing replacement boards that will allow you to fix your CarPlay MMI units in just a few minutes without soldering or any other technical skills.

We are anticipating to have replacement boards in stock next week. Once they are ready we'll be able to send them to you. The process of replacement takes around 5 minutes and requires only a phillips screwdriver. We will provide you with a detailed video guide as well.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ts/carplay-mmi

Looks like they came out with a new version that has both carplay and android auto.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ts/carplay-mmi
      11-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
JimE90
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Exclamation Mmi prime retrofit

hey, so I just installed my MMI Prime yesterday. everything seemed to look good until I was testing everything out. come to find out the microphone wasn't working. any recommendation on what to do in this case?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE90 View Post
hey, so I just installed my MMI Prime yesterday. everything seemed to look good until I was testing everything out. come to find out the microphone wasn't working. any recommendation on what to do in this case?
Check directions and you have it connected via other tutorials and contact their support???

Their product is a premium priced one which is the andream unit they just customize the software, so they should be around to help with a doubled price IMHO. They always got back to me pretty quickly.

Then again, maybe they know I can just drive 90mins over to their shop in Orlando and kick their door in and they respond to me if I'm pissed about something...

I'm kidding of course, but this thread doesn't apply to anything related to your problem, like an 18 month old post.
      10-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #10
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Resurrecting an old thread: Last week I paid to have the BimmerTech MMI device installed. I've not had a good experience. I went with BimmerTech because I wanted to be able to have tech support if it was needed. It seems that was a good choice.

The referred installer charged a fairly high fee $299 to install the device. They provided no instructions or assistance at their location even though problems appeared almost immediately. They added that BimmerTech sends them lots of business so they don't refuse to install their products, but they would have preferred that I had contacted the installer directly initially to have them order and install a CARPLAY device and they'd be more service oriented. But since I didn't they didn't have any assistance to offer regarding why the device was operating normally.

Their referred installer was nearly 2 hours away. Upon getting home I tried doing some troubleshooting using online videos. Here's my issue. About 3/4 of the time it doesn't automatically boot up. And getting it to do so manually requires a number of reboots.

The phenomenon is this. You get in the X5 and things looks like they are going operate normally then the screen simply goes black. Its like its about to start but it doesn't. After several reboots you can finally get to the MMI Prime screen. There you can go to the settings screen and manually select and deselect the pair phone and hope after a few more manual reboots the systems turns on AA. If you get out of the vehicle for longer than 20 mins, the freeze and manual re-booting is necessary once again.

I complained to BimmerTech and they gave me some tips and after several days of back and forth they finally told me it was a phone problem -- and therefore there was nothing that they could do. I use an Android operating system. It would be great if in addition to listing VIN on their site they also asked for details about our phones before they sold you their devices since they only work well with a few phones.

In any event, I acquired an Iphone and while it worked initally, within the same day it was doing the same thing as before. It wouldn't start up automatically and it took several re-boots to get it working and you couldn't leave the vehicle for more than about 20 mins before these problems would recur. Now however add that in the middle of a drive it will suddenly stop and the screen will go black.

BimmerTech now says that their device is faulty. At my expense, I can pay an installer to remove the old device and they will send me a new one.
Appreciate 0