F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Transmission "Supercharger" whine?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-10-2016, 04:26 AM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Transmission "Supercharger" whine?

Hey guys,

My car has been exhibiting a pretty weird noise lately, after driving the car for around ~10 min in Sport+ (Nothing when driving calmly). The car developed a supercharger type of whine noise that would become higher in pitch as the RPM climbs.

A quick internet search resulted in some saying transmission fluid needs changing (Isn't it supposed to be at ~60k miles), others saying internals are beginning to give up (Car has done 20,000km so far)... So the internet is somewhat pointing fingers all over the place, but they all seem to be generally aimed at a soon to be faulty transmission.

Before raising the issue with my dealer tomorrow, has anyone else experienced a similar type of noise?

Thanks
      01-11-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Abafify
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bump
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
three40_6ix
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 340i

I have also heard a supercharger whine as well, however only when I use launch control

Previous:
'10 Audi Q5 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Anyone know what's the transmission oil operating temperature? I was driving really hard in Map 6 on JB4 and the car was whining like a supercharged Hellcat throughout all the RPM range, even when downshifting. My JB4 app was reading transmission temperature to be 105C ~ 221 Fahrenheit. I think this is the cause of the sound. Can anyone chime in?
      02-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Are you sure it's the transmission and not the turbo? You will hear some turbo noise as the Rpms rise.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Any updates on this? I am getting the same noise at high rpms...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

I get it occasionally as well. No idea on cause or if it's a bad thing. I just hope nothing goes seriously wrong...
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _josh.340i View Post
I have also heard a supercharger whine as well, however only when I use launch control
then stop using launch control. you are DESTROYING your transmission
this transmission is not designed for constant use of launch control.

I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but transmission whine while driving foward is basically imminent transmission failure.

this is typically caused by people driving the hell out of the car and ruining the drivetrain when the car is brand new.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 & F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
then stop using launch control. you are DESTROYING your transmission
this transmission is not designed for constant use of launch control.

I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but transmission whine while driving foward is basically imminent transmission failure.

this is typically caused by people driving the hell out of the car and ruining the drivetrain when the car is brand new.
Bad news.

The differential will blow first. With the shafts. (Speaking from personal experience) gearbox doesn’t even blink. Not even a code.

Also your talking about the ZF 8HP. Unamously agreed as the best gearbox out there. With variants taking up to 900 ft/lbs.

I don’t know where u get your info from. People that drive it aggressively probably are less likely to break it since torque converter lock up and not dragging a shift out for comfort (produce the most heat and strain) are favorable things.

You could buy VAG product. They trust their DSG/Stronic so much they limit it to 200 launches.
Appreciate 4
      08-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJdriver View Post
Bad news.

The differential will blow first. With the shafts. (Speaking from personal experience) gearbox doesn’t even blink. Not even a code.

Also your talking about the ZF 8HP. Unamously agreed as the best gearbox out there. With variants taking up to 900 ft/lbs.

I don’t know where u get your info from. People that drive it aggressively probably are less likely to break it since torque converter lock up and not dragging a shift out for comfort (produce the most heat and strain) are favorable things.

You could buy VAG product. They trust their DSG/Stronic so much they limit it to 200 launches.
I know someone who used launch control on the 8 speed when new, blew the transmission and then repeated the same process with his replacement transmission and complained that the dealer would not replace it a third time. he was also getting this whining sound that OP mentioned before his transmission exploded.

you took my comment the wrong way. we own a 5 series, I know all about the 8 speed. it is the best transmission I have ever encountered and the only auto gearbox that doesnt make me long for my manual gearbox. the way it blends efficiency with performance is outstanding.

a VAG product? you mean volkswagen?
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
Paul_M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola Red M3

Could be your rear differential, have seen a couple f30's have whines and turns out the rear diff was the culprit!
      11-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Reviving this thread, having just experienced this noise and not finding another relevant discussion. My F31 has the 8HP50 transmission with 43,000 miles.

I tried to use launch control for the very first time today, having bought the car new and always always always keeping on top of maintenance. I set the car to Sport+ with transmission in S, applied the brake, then throttle to the floor and did not get the LC icon. Still, released the brake and the car launched impressively hard. However I had a clearly audible supercharger whine in first and second gear, so decided to cancel my fun and cruise home. Everything functioned correctly, no warnings and I scanned for codes in the garage.

I'm definitely never brake boosting again; no sense in such use if I'll just be worried about damage the whole time.

I already plan to change out my differential and transfer case oils at 50,000 miles. Should I do the transmission oil as well? How much sleep should I lose over this experiment?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I had the same high pitch whine you speak of. Turns out it was my rear diff leaking. Dealer replaced the seals and changed fluid under warranty. I had my transmission fluid changes at 50K with the FCP Euro kit. Perfect fitment and transmission loved the new fluid. Car has been buttery smooth afterwards knock wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
Reviving this thread, having just experienced this noise and not finding another relevant discussion. My F31 has the 8HP50 transmission with 43,000 miles.

I tried to use launch control for the very first time today, having bought the car new and always always always keeping on top of maintenance. I set the car to Sport+ with transmission in S, applied the brake, then throttle to the floor and did not get the LC icon. Still, released the brake and the car launched impressively hard. However I had a clearly audible supercharger whine in first and second gear, so decided to cancel my fun and cruise home. Everything functioned correctly, no warnings and I scanned for codes in the garage.

I'm definitely never brake boosting again; no sense in such use if I'll just be worried about damage the whole time.

I already plan to change out my differential and transfer case oils at 50,000 miles. Should I do the transmission oil as well? How much sleep should I lose over this experiment?
      04-26-2020, 10:19 PM   #14
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black F32 435i

Bump!! Has anyone diagnosed the transmission whining issue? Had a trusted BMW shop check mine out and just upon test drive said the stator is going bad. I wanted to get input and see what others have heard. Thanks In advance!
      05-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #15
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakep8 View Post
Bump!! Has anyone diagnosed the transmission whining issue? Had a trusted BMW shop check mine out and just upon test drive said the stator is going bad. I wanted to get input and see what others have heard. Thanks In advance!
I am getting mine replaced because of whining. Part was ordered a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #16
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
Quote:
Which part?
      05-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #17
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which part?
The transmission itself. It took me about a year and 5 dealerships. I hope that fixes it.
Appreciate 1
blakep842.00
      05-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which part?
The transmission itself. It took me about a year and 5 dealerships. I hope that fixes it.
Wow, i'm sorry it's been such a hassle! Let me know if that solves it!
      05-26-2020, 12:44 AM   #19
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which part?
Wow, i'm sorry it's been such a hassle! Let me know if that solves it!
I got it replaced and the whining is still present although it is definitely not as noticeable anymore. Comfort mode is very good but sport mode is again a grate on my ears. It is still a huge improvement but I suspect that there is something more to this. I will take it back to the dealer. Now it is past the factory warranty period but the CPO warranty kicked in. I hope it won't complicate things. My bet is on the alternator this time.
Appreciate 1
blakep842.00
      09-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #20
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm having similar problems when using launch control and in 3rd gear.
      09-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #21
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
I set the car to Sport+ with transmission in S, applied the brake, then throttle to the floor and did not get the LC icon. Still, released the brake and the car launched impressively hard.
Do you have paddles... if not more than likely you don't have it coded for it...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #22
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I hear it from my B58, not so much of a transmission. Its since the timing chain is in the back of the engine so closer to the driver.
Appreciate 0