F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Please Help - ticking noise when turning steering wheel
proTUNING Freaks

10-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #1
9320.f30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Please Help - ticking noise when turning steering wheel

Hi everyone -

I recently discovered a "ticking" noise that sounds like it's coming from either front wheel, when turning the steering in that direction (ticking coming from driver front wheel when turning steering left, and from passenger front when turning right). I did not notice the noise until ~2 weeks ago when pulling in a parking garage that amplified the noise.

I have done some searching online and in these forums, only finding this thread from 2016 which was pretty inconclusive on identifying the root cause.

Has anyone ran into this problem with our cars, or others, before and can help me with what this could possibly be? Haven't got a solid mechanic around me yet, so I'd like to have some info before taking it in.

I did hit a big pothole when going ~60mph, but that was about 8 months ago.

I drive a RWD 2018 340i with 45k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
DexteRS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i RWD

Sounds like a CV joint on one or both of your front axles. Pretty common issue but pretty early. Look at your cv boots (rubber accordian looking things behind each wheel where the axle meets the wheel, and see if you see cracked and/or leaking boots
Appreciate 0