F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Possible onboard computer issue
GetBMWParts

07-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
BMW Fanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 430iM Sport

Possible onboard computer issue

My Feb 20 430i M Sport is currently on 2338 miles being retired & limited use in lockdown. I haven't reset anything in the onboard computer since picking it up & average MPG is showing 34.8 down from a recent "high" of 34.9. In mid June I did a 480 mile round trip to London from Liverpool & was surprised that the average MPG figure only increased from what was late 32 to 34.9 despite steady motorway driving at speeds between 50 (road works)-70 MPH. Given the constant speeds over several hours I would have expected the average MPG to have gone up more than 2 MPG. Yesterday while on a 40 mile round trip of motorway & 50 MPH roads I cycled through the instrument display using the button on the end of the indicator stalk. That changed the average MPG display to show the current date (correct), current range, average speed & "momentary fuel consumption". I was surprised to see that my average speed was only 20 MPH despite my recent London trip. When in "momentary fuel consumption" the figures constantly changed but didn't make sense jumping from say 23 MPG to 40, 64 to 99 even with the accelerator pedal kept constant. I would have expected the readout to have given a set figure of say 30 MPG going up when I took my foot off the accelerator to going down under firm acceleration. The constant erratic jumping to what appear unbelievable figures to the hardly moved average MPG & low average speed may suggest an issue. Any thoughts people?

Last edited by BMW Fanboy; 07-11-2021 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

The problem is that it takes a lot of a different driving speed or economy to move the longer-term average.

I'd suggest resetting the trip computer on your next fillup (press and hold the button for 3 seconds when showing average mpg, then press and hold for 3 seconds when showing average speed), and then you'll find out what's really happening.

The instantaneous figures for mpg are next to pointless.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

If you've never reset it, the average is based on the 2k+ miles, so a trip won't change it much.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Agree with the other comments. One short trip added to the long range won't make much difference.

I'd be resetting and running both the Trip/Journey and OBC settings, monitor short and long term.

BTW, both should run the same figures, (the figures that run parallel) while on the same reset.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
BMW Fanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 430iM Sport

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply to my post. Yes HighlandPete the totals for the Onboard Computer & Trip Computer in I Drive did read exactly the same for MPG & average speed. Resetting the Trip Computer each time I have used the car it has given different figures to the Onboard Computer the MPG being significantly improved. Off to Suffolk & London mid August so it will be interesting to see what the MPG figure in on a 250+ mile journey.
Appreciate 0