F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F30 Whine from the rear 60-72mph
ARMA SPEED

03-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
mcnamaraharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d XDRIVE 2016

BMW F30 Whine from the rear 60-72mph

Looking for some advice around the below,

BMW f30 2016 320d XDRIVE 49,000 miles (noise has always been there from buying the car at 24,000 miles)

Between 60-72mph under light to medium acceleration there is a loud whine noise coming from the back of the car (can not be heard when sitting close to the steering wheel), the noise goes instantly when the throttle is taken off, so not road or wind noise.

I took the car into BMW to check it over- which they came back and said they could not hear the noise but the tyre treads were odd which may have been affecting the XDRIVE (car bought from bmw dealer 2 months earlier). All four tyres replaced with no difference in noise (non runflats). I can only assume someone short was driving it on the test?

Car is going back into a different dealer next week as my new commute includes more travelling between 60-70, which is driving me insane!
The noise sounds like a machine gearbox whine, maybe some kind of harmonic going on at that speed?

I have had the same model previously and a hire car of the same model and both did not make this noise.

Has anyone had this issue and had it resolved so i have something to put against BMW when they potentially tell me theres no issue again? Much appreciated!

Last edited by mcnamaraharry; 03-14-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraharry View Post

BMW f30 2016 320d XDRIVE 49,000 miles (noise has always been there from buying the car at 24,000 miles)

Between 60-72mph under light to medium acceleration there is a loud whine noise coming from the back of the car (can not be heard when sitting close to the steering wheel), the noise goes instantly when the throttle is taken off, so not road or wind noise.

I took the car into BMW to check it over- which they came back and said they could not hear the noise but the tyre treads were odd which may have been affecting the XDRIVE (car bought from bmw dealer 2 months earlier). All four tyres replaced with no difference in noise (non runflats). I can only assume someone short was driving it on the test?

Car is going back into a different dealer next week as my new commute includes more travelling between 60-70, which is driving me insane!
The noise sounds like a machine gearbox whine, maybe some kind of harmonic going on at that speed?

I have had the same model previously and a hire car of the same model and both did not make this noise.

Has anyone had this issue and had it resolved so i have something to put against BMW when they potentially tell me theres no issue again? Much appreciated!
Wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
archerz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Garage List
or diff
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Not wheel bearing as they whine on or off load, diff quite possibly our maybe rear universal joint.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #5
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Since you have Xdrive, have them check your front diff. I had mine replaced under warranty. I thought the whine was from the rear too, until I drove it with the head mechanic aboard, and he actually isolated it as coming from the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #6
mcnamaraharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d XDRIVE 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Since you have Xdrive, have them check your front diff. I had mine replaced under warranty. I thought the whine was from the rear too, until I drove it with the head mechanic aboard, and he actually isolated it as coming from the front.
Thanks i thought it would be along the lines of a Diff/ trans box
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 03:55 AM   #7
NikoH
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraharry View Post

So did you discovered what was the real issue, because I have exactly the same problem ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #8
myownreality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328d

Sounds to me most likely the rear diff, perhaps it needs new grease or is low on fluid for some reason, there could be a number of reasons why you are hearing it in this vehicle but not the theoretically same models with which you have had prior experience, like any sort of speaker modification or something else which might result in different amounts off insulation in the trunk and back deck. Alternately it could just be a slight defect from the manufacturing either in the diff it self, or somewhere along the mounts that is causing additional vibration to be transmitted to the body of the car. Finally it could be the result of the previous owner having had particularly demanding driving habits resulting in an excess of wear and tear beyond what would normally be expected at that mileage. I would only be concerned if the noise seems to have progressively gotten worse over time which would suggest that if the cause is not found then accumulated damage will at some point result in the ultimate failure of the part, requiring total replacement. You could simply request they service the rear diff which would entail replacing the grease / oil, which should take out any foreign debri that might have gotten included during manufacture or slight metal shavings that could be floating about as a result of the previous owners extremely aggressive driving, and also you could request them to inspect the mounting hardware to ensure that all the dampeners are in good shape.
-mor
Appreciate 0