F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Melbourne BMW
Extreme Powerhouse

08-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Since most of my tools are in storage... and I was due for my 5k oil service... I had little choice but to have someone do it for me. I figured I was doing myself (and my F30) a favor by taking it to the nearest dealer and paying the extra coin "to have it done right."

Boy was I mistaken.

Firstly... I requested 40 weight oil because that is what's recommended in my owners manual (along with 30 weight) and because that's what I've been using since I got the car with 29k on it. Currently at 80k miles.

I was told they didn't have 40 weight oil. Not sure if that was true but oh well... I opted for 30 weight. No big deal at all, surely this won't cause my engine to explode.

Now for the fun part...

When I leave and drive a few miles down the road, I decide to use the electronic oil measurement function to get a reading... it shuts off after 17-18% or so. Hm. Try again, same outcome. I proceed to drive away... put a few more miles on the car in case that's the issue (oil not at proper temp?).

Stop off the road again and check oil. Same outcome. Now I'm getting annoyed and start wondering what the fuck is going on. I rifle through my emergency tool kit that I keep in trunk and manage to get the oil filter cap off.

To my surprise the lube monkey that worked on my car did not replace the center cage portion of oil filter cap and the cartridge filter was just floating around in the housing. I'm assuming he pulled it off when pulling the old cartridge out, which isn't uncommon but failed to notice or care when putting the new filter in!?

How the hell is this possible? At a full fledged BMW dealership?

I can't believe the retards that BMW has working on their customers vehicles.

I brought it back and of course they apologized up and down. Took it around back and came back saying all is well. Car now reads oil measurement.

They will never see my car again.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I use Pierre's Place BMW Mini Werks for anything i can't do or don't have time to do. Small 2 man shop who, from my experience, does great work at very reasonable prices.
Pierre L'Esperance
Art
5101 Industry Dr. Ste 104
Melbourne FL 32940
(321) 610-3921

https://www.facebook.com/Pierres-Pla...8011841934254/
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Since most of my tools are in storage... and I was due for my 5k oil service... I had little choice but to have someone do it for me. I figured I was doing myself (and my F30) a favor by taking it to the nearest dealer and paying the extra coin "to have it done right."

Boy was I mistaken.

Firstly... I requested 40 weight oil because that is what's recommended in my owners manual (along with 30 weight) and because that's what I've been using since I got the car with 29k on it. Currently at 80k miles.

I was told they didn't have 40 weight oil. Not sure if that was true but oh well... I opted for 30 weight. No big deal at all, surely this won't cause my engine to explode.

Now for the fun part...

When I leave and drive a few miles down the road, I decide to use the electronic oil measurement function to get a reading... it shuts off after 17-18% or so. Hm. Try again, same outcome. I proceed to drive away... put a few more miles on the car in case that's the issue (oil not at proper temp?).

Stop off the road again and check oil. Same outcome. Now I'm getting annoyed and start wondering what the fuck is going on. I rifle through my emergency tool kit that I keep in trunk and manage to get the oil filter cap off.

To my surprise the lube monkey that worked on my car did not replace the center cage portion of oil filter cap and the cartridge filter was just floating around in the housing. I'm assuming he pulled it off when pulling the old cartridge out, which isn't uncommon but failed to notice or care when putting the new filter in!?

How the hell is this possible? At a full fledged BMW dealership?

I can't believe the retards that BMW has working on their customers vehicles.

I brought it back and of course they apologized up and down. Took it around back and came back saying all is well. Car now reads oil measurement.

They will never see my car again.
Where?
      08-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Where?
I believe Melbourne, FL.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I believe Melbourne, FL.
Check.....I totally glossed over the header of Melbourne, FL.

Thanks.