F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Nightmare situation
proTUNING Freaks

12-08-2021, 12:31 AM   #67
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I had the tyres changed yesterday and its made such a difference. I can't comment on non star rated tyres but having the correct size has made a massive difference. The drive is alot smoother and seems to put the power down very well no juddering at low speeds or traction control kicking in.

Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
      12-08-2021, 12:39 AM   #68
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
I had the tyres changed yesterday and its made such a difference. I can't comment on non star rated tyres but having the correct size has made a massive difference. The drive is alot smoother and seems to put the power down very well no juddering at low speeds or traction control kicking in.

Now because it's a 4 wheel drive do I need to get 4 wheel alignment done? The previous front tyres was wearing unevenly
Result!

as for alignment, if the suspension arms have been off and considering the uneven wear on last set, I would be getting it done. The £100 or so cost would be re-couped on longer tire life.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #69
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:

When you say wearing unevenly, is it the inside edge or the outside edge which was most worn? If they were both wearing similarly, i.e both front outside edges, then I wouldn't be unduly concerned as run flats do seem to have issues with this. My RFT's were wearing oddly but both my winter set and my new PS4S set (which have done a good few k and been driven hard in that time) are all wearing perfectly evenly.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:21 AM   #70
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:

What rubber did you go for in the end then?
      12-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #71
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I went with pirelli p zero pz4 in the end. According to the bmw health check the fronts was 3mm on the outer, 5mm in the centre and 2mm on the inner. the backs was 5mm across all the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #72
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Doesn't sound anything particularly concerning given the tyres were the wrong size on the front. Keep an eye on them and shove the gauge in now across the tread, and then after 3k. If there's a noticeable movement in one area and not in another then get the tracking done, otherwise I'd just leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 04:05 AM   #73
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
You don't need it just because it's 4WD - a 2WD car would also benefit from a full alignment check and reset if things aren't tracking straight - but if you've got a known issue with the tyres wearing unevenly personally I'd say get it done. I'm guessing a full set of Pirellis will have cost over £500 so why risk them wearing unevenly (and perhaps prematurely) for the sake of £70 to £80 for a full alignment check/reset?

I suppose you could just do the fronts if there doesn't appear to be problem with the rears but you're probably only looking at another £20 for a 4 wheel alignment over and above the cost of just doing the fronts only - peanuts in the context of a full set of tyres IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 04:25 AM   #74
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Quote:
I went with pirelli p zero pz4 in the end. According to the bmw health check the fronts was 3mm on the outer, 5mm in the centre and 2mm on the inner. the backs was 5mm across all the tyre.
That type of wear pattern can be an indication of under-inflation.

The issue is you won't know if the previous owner was running the pressures below or equal to the rated amount so you won't know what pressure is required.

I'd run the rated pressure and keep a close eye on it and adjust where required.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #75
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post

The issue is you won't know if the previous owner was running the pressures below or equal to the rated amount so you won't know what pressure is required.

I'd run the rated pressure and keep a close eye on it and adjust where required.
Yup, this. If the wheel's dead centre when you're driving in a straight line then the tracking will be basically as it was last set, and unless you're taking it a decent place there is a high likelihood you'll end up with it in a worse state than you took it in. Seen that many, many times. If it's wearing on both the inner and outer edges then it's likely to be inflation and/or the wrong tyres fitted. Let's be honest, if someone fits a different size just to be cheap are they really going to be keeping an eye on pressures until the pressure sensors tell them to stick some air in?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #76
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post

Yup, this. If the wheel's dead centre when you're driving in a straight line then the tracking will be basically as it was last set, and unless you're taking it a decent place there is a high likelihood you'll end up with it in a worse state than you took it in. Seen that many, many times. If it's wearing on both the inner and outer edges then it's likely to be inflation and/or the wrong tyres fitted. Let's be honest, if someone fits a different size just to be cheap are they really going to be keeping an eye on pressures until the pressure sensors tell them to stick some air in?
Yes, the fact that they were running the wrong tyre size is the reason for the under inflation wear.

They've probably been running the rated amount written on the door but they weren't the tyres that was on the car.
Appreciate 0