F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dropping RPM and engine shaking
proTUNING Freaks

10-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #23
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashhong View Post
Is there a video with checking that vacuum on cars without that hose?
No, its sealed off. You would hear a vacuum leak or possibly see oil down in the hole if you have a problem there on a EWG equipped vehicle.
Is there a good video on how to do smoke checks in general on these cars for everything including the valve cover? Like where to put the smoke in etc
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #24
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Is there a good video on how to do smoke checks in general on these cars for everything including the valve cover? Like where to put the smoke in etc
If you dont have the equipment to do a pressure and smoke test it might be worth finding a good indy that is familiar with BMWs to do it. It really needs to be done right to try and find any leaks. I linked the thread to build a pressure tester i am not aware of any for smoke tests specific to this platform although they may exist.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:44 AM   #25
GuacIsXtra
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i; 1992 318i

Having the same issue and BMW is recommending valve cover replacement due to crank case vent valve being cracked (as they do).

Good luck figuring it out. Could you have possibly damaged the valve cover when replacing the gasket?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #26
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuacIsXtra View Post
Having the same issue and BMW is recommending valve cover replacement due to crank case vent valve being cracked (as they do).

Good luck figuring it out. Could you have possibly damaged the valve cover when replacing the gasket?
Anything is possible..I am going to keep that as a last resort. First I'm going to try a new air filter, a new CCV hose, a new CCV, then the cover. I figure even if these aren't a problem, not too costly to write it off as preventative maintenance on my 2014 with 67k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #27
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

So I replaced my air filter, unplugged MAF, idled, turned off the car and plugged the MAF back in to no avail.

I also noticed that I am still getting some oil smoke towards the back of my engine bay. I don't know if it's some of the old oil that had leaked or not. Maybe the new gasket is not on perfectly or the cover is cracked back there. Will probably end up taking the cover off again as my next step before replacing the hose/CCV
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I replaced my air filter, unplugged MAF, idled, turned off the car and plugged the MAF back in to no avail.

I also noticed that I am still getting some oil smoke towards the back of my engine bay. I don't know if it's some of the old oil that had leaked or not. Maybe the new gasket is not on perfectly or the cover is cracked back there. Will probably end up taking the cover off again as my next step before replacing the hose/CCV
Sounds like a gasket/VC issue then. I would still replace the CCV hose when taking the cover off if it is the original one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #29
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

Sounds like a gasket/VC issue then. I would still replace the CCV hose when taking the cover off if it is the original one.
Ya think I'll get one of those too.

One more thing, when I unplugged my MAF I noticed the wire only had 4 metal connectors while the MAF itself had 5 prongs. Is that normal or did my wire get messed up somehow?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #30
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

So quick update..

Found a loose gasket around the spark plug seal. Waiting on replacements

Removed crankcase breather hose and see oil in it. Why could this be?

Also found smoke leak I think around a pipe underneath the engine. I'm not sure of the name but it looks to have the same clips as the stock charge pipe and connecting to the turbo and intercooler. Need to go under and confirm. Is this a known failure like the CP?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So quick update..

Also found smoke leak I think around a pipe underneath the engine. I'm not sure of the name but it looks to have the same clips as the stock charge pipe and connecting to the turbo and intercooler. Need to go under and confirm. Is this a known failure like the CP?
The CCV will have oil in it... its a breather hose. There shouldnt be an excessive amount though.

That's the TIC pipe. No, it shouldnt be a failure point. If you have an aftermarket IC it could not be sealing correctly (oring or IC issue)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #32
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
So quick update..

The CCV will have oil in it... its a breather hose. There shouldnt be an excessive amount though.

That's the TIC pipe. No, it shouldnt be a failure point. If you have an aftermarket IC it could not be sealing correctly (oring or IC issue)
Ah ok, yea there wasn't too much oil

Stock everything here. Got to wait for my replacement breather hose before I can go under and smoke test again. Was hard to see if it was from there or somewhere else, but there was a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #33
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Happy update, finally had the time to redo the valve cover gasket and all is good now. There was a part of it that was completely fucked up on the reinstall that we missed. I doubt I needed a new CP and a new CCV hose, but I'm ok with the costs as preventative measures.

I still need to do another smoke check to see if I'm still getting smoke from the TIC area, but that is for another day. Car is running as it did before all this, and that's good enough for me right now lol. Thanks for the help everyone, learned a lot
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      11-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #34
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Happy update, finally had the time to redo the valve cover gasket and all is good now. There was a part of it that was completely fucked up on the reinstall that we missed. I doubt I needed a new CP and a new CCV hose, but I'm ok with the costs as preventative measures.

I still need to do another smoke check to see if I'm still getting smoke from the TIC area, but that is for another day. Car is running as it did before all this, and that's good enough for me right now lol. Thanks for the help everyone, learned a lot
Too much a coincidence the issue happened after VC. What was it which you corrected BTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #35
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:

Too much a coincidence the issue happened after VC. What was it which you corrected BTW.
Mentioned it in that post, the gasket wasn't properly seated. Must have came off when I installed the VC. Specifically one of the inner spark plug gaskets
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #36
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:

Mentioned it in that post, the gasket wasn't properly seated. Must have came off when I installed the VC. Specifically one of the inner spark plug gaskets
Looks like I had nailed in my first post in this thread.