F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Best exhaust for a daily driven 435i?
GetBMWParts

11-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
White435
Citizen of ///M Town
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Best exhaust for a daily driven 435i?

Hi Everyone!

At first I'd like to thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this forum. Over a year ago I asked for an advice whether I should replace the entire valve cover or only the gasket - trusted you and replaced both. Two months ago my chargepipe exploded (car is stock) so I started reading the forum and I trusted you again - I ordered the Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe from XPH. I have nothing to complain about (well, maybe the shipping cost but I will speak about it later). I am very happy to be a part of this amazing community! Now I have the money and time to take care of my most awaited modification - the exhaust.

I know that this is one of the most discussed topics out there but I'm sure that we all love talking about this mod in particular
I did my research. I watched YouTube videos, I read the forums and I must say that there are a lot of options to choose from. I started this thread because after reading your posts about exhaust systems I feel like it still didn't give me a solution. Or maybe It gave me too many solutions that are too hard to choose from.

I live in Europe. My main problem is that I literally can't find anyone using an aftermarket exhaust system for F30 N55 in my area so I have no idea how they sound in person. In fact, any 335i would be a rare sight. Buying anything from the US is like a blind date. I will either love it or hate it. Now the less fun part comes into consideration. The shipping cost of a complete AWE system for my car is calculated at $1457. Yes, you read that right $1944 for exhaust and $1457 for shipping. $3401 in total (according to XPH checkout), without any import taxes. I will worry about shipping and taxes after I choose what I'm looking for, I just wanted to give you an idea of how difficult it is for me to get what I'd like to and how important making the right decision is.

OK, let's get straight into the topic. I will be installing it on a 435i xDrive daily driver so I'm looking for an exhaust that will make my car sound noticeably louder than stock but not annoying. If my car would make people turn their head when I drive by I'd rather make them think "This car sounds really nice" than "This guy is annoying as hell". I'm sure you know what I mean. Aiming for mature and balanced sound. Also, I do not plan to tune my car at the moment.

After reading many threads I can say that AWE looks and sounds really good to me. I really liked the 180 technology that gives it a unique design. I'm aiming for an OEM+ look so if I were to order it I would definitely pick Chrome Silver 90mm tips. I considered MPE but it seems to be not that much louder than stock and it is a common choice in my country so anything from US would stand out (in a good way). I also looked at Borla and Dinan and I think that some of you mentioned issues with tips alignment and AWD fitment in one of those. Also, Borla seems more agressive than AWE and as I said I can't really listen to them in real life so my opinion is based on videos.

I have to admit that AWE seems to be my favourite and it gives me an option to leave the stock midpipe with resonator to reduce drone and make the sound deeper and less raspy. Also, changing the downpipe would make a difference if it were too quiet so there are some combinations with only this particular system.
I'd like to hear your advice on this. Which one would you choose for a daily driver and could you recommend what other products are worth taking into consideration? I am really sorry for making an essay from a simple question, I tried to highlight the most important stuff, please understand that I won't have a chance to return or quickly sell the system that I buy.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Pick your DP first then pick an exhaust setup, not the other way around. Most aftermarket exhausts were designed around OEM DP, so some can drone or otherwise be unpleasant with a DP, especially catless.

Given your location and the apparently supply/cost issues, you best and by far most economical option is to get a DP resonator delete. The DP is what gives performance, then the res delete just adds a little more sound.

You can also consider internal muffler modification on top of or as an alternative, either DIY or from a shop. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=819125

My sample videos before and after res delete with fabspeed catted DP.

Appreciate 2
      11-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
AsianBill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Catless with stock exhaust(or combined with a res delete) is my vote. Sounds good plus gives a jump in performance while keeping the exhaust valve. Also the cheapest option.

If you want to/need to stay stock downpipe my vote is AWE.

I'm currently Catless with a res delete and stock muffler and enjoy the sound.

CD919 Custom E40/flex fuel tune | catless downpipe | TU Pump | XHP Stage 3 | MHD flexfuel kit
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
you're literally gonna get a ton of different answers.

exhaust is subjective

videos won't help

Goodluck
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      11-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
you're literally gonna get a ton of different answers.

exhaust is subjective

videos won't help

Goodluck
Here's how it goes:

Reads exhaust threads --> sees a bunch of different recommendations --> starts a new exhaust thread because of so many different recommendations --> gets a bunch of different recommendations
Appreciate 5
      11-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

personally, I wouldn't pay for shipping from USA.

consider Remus exhaust and high flow cat with HJS Euro catalyst.
Appreciate 4
Logicoeur991.00
johnung4528.00
      11-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS or Active Autowerke axle-back + downpipe. I prefer catted for a deeper sound but you can do catless if you like the more aggressive sound.

Dm me your address and i can check how much it costs for both

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
White435
Citizen of ///M Town
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Pick your DP first then pick an exhaust setup, not the other way around. Most aftermarket exhausts were designed around OEM DP, so some can drone or otherwise be unpleasant with a DP, especially catless.

Given your location and the apparently supply/cost issues, you best and by far most economical option is to get a DP resonator delete. The DP is what gives performance, then the res delete just adds a little more sound.

You can also consider internal muffler modification on top of or as an alternative, either DIY or from a shop. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=819125

Thank you for your recommendation but I have to say I'm a little hesitant when it comes to cutting open my muffler. I know that installing an axleback involve taking (cutting) apart muffler and midpipe but it still allows to go back to stock which is very important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBill View Post
Catless with stock exhaust(or combined with a res delete) is my vote. Sounds good plus gives a jump in performance while keeping the exhaust valve. Also the cheapest option.

I would like to avoid going catless to pass emissions tests and to not get CEL. I will do some research on catted DP. I had great expirience with ER chargepipe so I might be interested in their downpipe options.

Quote:
Here's how it goes:

Reads exhaust threads --> sees a bunch of different recommendations --> starts a new exhaust thread because of so many different recommendations --> gets a bunch of different recommendations
I know that some people may be asking why there is another exhaust thread on this forum so let me be more specific. I haven't found any comparison between these setups:

Stock Downpipe + Stock Midpipe + AWE Axleback
Stock Downpipe + AWE Midpipe + AWE Axleback
High Flow Catted Downpipe + Stock Midpipe + AWE Axleback

Which one would you pick for a DD and why? Also, do I have to get a tune if I decide to upgrade my downpipe?

We can also discuss on adding a catless downpipe to this combo and also pairing full AWE system with aftermarket downpipe. I think that it may be too much for daily driving but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

I will speak to Mike from XPH, maybe something went wrong while calculating shipment. I also have an option to ask my friends that import cars from USA if they can come up with a solution so I'm not giving up yet! Also, thanks for your recommendation, I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
REMUS or Active Autowerke axle-back + downpipe. I prefer catted for a deeper sound but you can do catless if you like the more aggressive sound.

Alright, I will contact you so we can see what can be done.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White435 View Post
Quote:

Thank you for your recommendation but I have to say I'm a little hesitant when it comes to cutting open my muffler. I know that installing an axleback involve taking (cutting) apart muffler and midpipe but it still allows to go back to stock which is very important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBill View Post

I would like to avoid going catless to pass emissions tests and to not get CEL. I will do some research on catted DP. I had great expirience with ER chargepipe so I might be interested in their downpipe options.

Quote:
Here's how it goes:

I know that some people may be asking why there is another exhaust thread on this forum so let me be more specific. I haven't found any comparison between these setups:

Which one would you pick for a DD and why? Also, do I have to get a tune if I decide to upgrade my downpipe?

We can also discuss on adding a catless downpipe to this combo and also pairing full AWE system with aftermarket downpipe. I think that it may be too much for daily driving but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

I will speak to Mike from XPH, maybe something went wrong while calculating shipment. I also have an option to ask my friends that import cars from USA if they can come up with a solution so I'm not giving up yet! Also, thanks for your recommendation, I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

out of those options for a DD? I wouldn't pick any of them.. fyi

that's the problem with these posts. it doesn't matter what we'd pick.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
White435
Citizen of ///M Town
Poland
Rep

I wouldn't say it doesnt matter. I understand that sound is subjective but I need at least some recommendations to have a place to start from. On the other hand, it is objective to say that one setup has more drone than the other. Some may like it others will not but you can't argue that these kind of information will be useful.

I read posts about AWE exhaust with midpipe. Some say that it has a little drone, then I jumped to Borla thread where people also say that their S-Type exhaust has a little drone to it. If there was someone who had expirienced both of them and can tell me which "little drone" is more noticeable it would help me a lot.

Also, I would be really interested in checking out other options that you recommend. And why do you think that the AWE exhaust is not suitable for daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
Bloom_435i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i xdrive

I currently have the borla atak exhaust on my 435i xdrive, and when I had my stock cat on the car their was no drone. And it made a nice deep sound would recommend.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #12
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I second or third the Remus axle back. It's barely noticeable putting around town in comfort. With a catted downpipe I'd st8@@ describe it the same. But in both cases on the throttle it definitely makes it existence noticeable.

Normally you should be able to ship it from Germany for far cheaper than shipping from the US. However with brexit idk if that is true anymore.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #13
AsianBill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

AWE isn't valved which is why I wouldn't daily it. I'd say do catted downpipe first then decide which exhaust to go with IF you want more sound. Stock exhaust with aftermarket downpipe is a great daily option since you keep the valve to stay quiet if needed

CD919 Custom E40/flex fuel tune | catless downpipe | TU Pump | XHP Stage 3 | MHD flexfuel kit
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

ER downpipe will not pass emissions. You need AA, fabspeed, or CG.

The muffler mod is just one suggestion. I didnt do it. Res delete is fully reversible and only costs like $90. Paried with catted DP is my video i linked above.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #15
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

https://valvetronic.com/products/bmw...30-f22-f36-f32
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #16
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

@white435, REMUS products come from Austria. i would imagine it's not nearly expensive to ship from Austria to Poland, compared to getting something from the USA?

Regarding downpipes, there has to be manufacturers in Europe using HJS Euro catalyst or similar, which would be similar to Fabspeed or Active Autowerke?

personally, i'd look for products close to home, however if you prefer to have what we have here in the USA, money is no problem and you don't mind that the shipping cost may approach the price of the product due to it's dimensional weight, be sure to post a thread and videos after it's all installed.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      11-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
[SIZE="4"]Hi Everyone![/SIZE]

At first I'd like to thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this forum. Over a year ago I asked for an advice whether I should replace the entire valve cover or only the gasket - trusted you and replaced both. Two months ago my chargepipe exploded (car is stock) so I started reading the forum and I trusted you again - I ordered the Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe from XPH. I have nothing to complain about (well, maybe the shipping cost but I will speak about it later). I am very happy to be a part of this amazing community! Now I have the money and time to take care of my most awaited modification - the exhaust.

I know that this is one of the most discussed topics out there but I'm sure that we all love talking about this mod in particular
I did my research. I watched YouTube videos, I read the forums and I must say that there are a lot of options to choose from. I started this thread because after reading your posts about exhaust systems I feel like it still didn't give me a solution. Or maybe It gave me too many solutions that are too hard to choose from.

I live in Europe. My main problem is that I literally can't find anyone using an aftermarket exhaust system for F30 N55 in my area so I have no idea how they sound in person. In fact, any 335i would be a rare sight. Buying anything from the US is like a blind date. I will either love it or hate it. Now the less fun part comes into consideration. The shipping cost of a complete AWE system for my car is calculated at $1457. Yes, you read that right $1944 for exhaust and $1457 for shipping. $3401 in total (according to XPH checkout), without any import taxes. I will worry about shipping and taxes after I choose what I'm looking for, I just wanted to give you an idea of how difficult it is for me to get what I'd like to and how important making the right decision is.

OK, let's get straight into the topic. I will be installing it on a 435i xDrive daily driver so I'm looking for an exhaust that will make my car sound noticeably louder than stock but not annoying. If my car would make people turn their head when I drive by I'd rather make them think "This car sounds really nice" than "This guy is annoying as hell". I'm sure you know what I mean. Aiming for mature and balanced sound. Also, I do not plan to tune my car at the moment.

After reading many threads I can say that AWE looks and sounds really good to me. I really liked the 180 technology that gives it a unique design. I'm aiming for an OEM+ look so if I were to order it I would definitely pick Chrome Silver 90mm tips. I considered MPE but it seems to be not that much louder than stock and it is a common choice in my country so anything from US would stand out (in a good way). I also looked at Borla and Dinan and I think that some of you mentioned issues with tips alignment and AWD fitment in one of those. Also, Borla seems more agressive than AWE and as I said I can't really listen to them in real life so my opinion is based on videos.

I have to admit that AWE seems to be my favourite and it gives me an option to leave the stock midpipe with resonator to reduce drone and make the sound deeper and less raspy. Also, changing the downpipe would make a difference if it were too quiet so there are some combinations with only this particular system.
I'd like to hear your advice on this. Which one would you choose for a daily driver and could you recommend what other products are worth taking into consideration? I am really sorry for making an essay from a simple question, I tried to highlight the most important stuff, please understand that I won't have a chance to return or quickly sell the system that I buy.

Thank you in advance!
You are getting some good advice here. I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Video clips are mostly useless to judge exhaust systems. Even if it's mic'd perfectly which would take lots of skill and money, there's no way to recreate the deep exhaust growl on tiny phone speakers. So I only go by exhausts that I've actually heard at BMW events.

The best that I've heard is the AWE axle-back exhaust. It's got a full deep sound like one would expect from a high end tuned sports sedan.

Based on your comments if you go AWE, I suggest keeping the stock midpipe. The AWE midpipe makes it very loud. Some of my buddies who I'd expect to like their exhaust much louder than I do, have swapped the AWE midpipe off for their stock midpipe, saying the AWE midpipe just makes it too loud for a daily driver.

You seemed to discount the BMW M Performance exhaust for the F30 335i/435i. From hearing the AWE and MPE, I don't think that there is a huge drop off from AWE to MPE.

My car had the MPE installed when I bought it. If I were to sell my MPE used and by an AWE axle-back with tips and local sales tax, it would cost me about $600 to upgrade from MPE to AWE. Even though I believe that the AWE is an upgrade, I don't think it's an upgrade worth $600.

If I found a used AWE axle-back exhaust in good condition locally at a reasonable price, the lower cost differential might persuade me. With the high shipping costs of an AWE from US to Europe, IMO you should look for and listen to exhaust systems locally, especially MPE and Remus (which I've never heard personally but some people like it's sound).

I've got a Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe which sounds great and passes emissions. I live in New Jersey which is one of the tougher emissions states. Buying a catted DP that you know will pass emissions has two huge benefits.
1) you can sell the stock DP to scrappers for about $850 right now.
2) you won't have the hassle and expense of swapping back the stock DP to pass emissions

HJS catalytic converters are made in Europe so their must be European downpipe manufacturers who use them and they probably come with European certification which US downpipes probably don't. I assume it would be cheaper to purchase in Europe.

Wagner also makes a catted downpipe that's high quality but probably won't pass emissions.

If you were in a tough emissions state in the US and wanted the best sounding exhaust system, I'd recommend:

1) Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe
2) Stock midpipe
3) AWE axle-back exhaust

But in a European country with tough emissions to save massive shipping costs and still have a superb sounding exhaust I would recommend:

1) HJS catted downpipe or other that's European emissions certified, or install a Wagner catted downpipe and keep stock midpipe to pass emissions.
2) Stock midpipe
3) BMW M Performance Exhaust, or possibly a Remus exhaust if you hear it on a car and like it.

Another thing to understand is that a tune like Bootmod3 will add control over the burbles and pops in your exhaust system to enhance and customize it further. Lots of guys enjoy adjusting the exhaust sound to personalize it. On the other hand, my wife and I like to use Bootmod3 to even turn off the stock BMW burbles. Ours is more of a stealth sleeper car. We don't like to warn others. We like to hear the deep pure sound of our Fabspeed HJS/M Performance Exhaust light up when we step on the gas!

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #18
White435
Citizen of ///M Town
Poland
Rep

Maybe you are right. I thought that MPE is too little different from stock exhaust to consider it worth it's price. I'm now thinking about MPE + stock midpipe + catted downpipe as an european alternative to AWE axleback.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      11-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you are right. I thought that MPE is too little different from stock exhaust to consider it worth it's price. I'm now thinking about MPE + stock midpipe + catted downpipe as an european alternative to AWE axleback.
Resonator delete with stock axleback is pretty similar to MPE with stock midpipe and resonator delete is a fraction of the price and fully reversible. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      11-16-2021, 06:59 PM   #20
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Resonator delete with stock axleback is pretty similar to MPE with stock midpipe and resonator delete is a fraction of the price and fully reversible. Just food for thought.
Best combo is MPE with catless downpipe and stock mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #21
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Best combo is MPE with catless downpipe and stock mid pipe.
I'm not claiming one thing is "better" than another lol, too subjective. Just trying to help OP with a cost/benefit analysis on his decision. Catless isn't for everyone in the first place for various reasons besides sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #22
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

no exhaust, just an open dp or a turndown.

Appreciate 0