F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking to upgrade
ARMA SPEED

12-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #23
VibeBmw
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VibeBmw View Post
I have a 2015 320i stock, and I'm looking into doing some upgrades but don't know where to start.
What state do you live in? It matters for climate and emissions. How many miles on your car? Curious, what color is it? What wheels and what size tires are on it? What are the roads like in your area? What is the quality of gasoline in your area? If you live in Arizona, California or Nevada the gasoline is poor so Bootmod3 has a special 91ACN to handle it. Is E85 readily available at gas pumps where you live and travel? That can provide additional tuning options.

To answer your questions about tuning:

Stage1 tuning by definition means that everything else can remain stock. The caveat to that is the charge pipe which tends to break. Stage1 is the biggest bang for your buck! It provides the largest performance increase by far.

After Stage1, Stage2 or anything else that you do to the engine will provide smaller gains for a lot more cost. After Stage1 the cost per horsepower gained goes sky high. So you will read guys insisting to throw on a downpipe, an intercooler, an intake, different spark plugs- all to go Stage2 as if it's a monster increase- when it is not!

Stage2 by definition means that at a minimum you have to first replace the stock downpipe with a free flow either Catted or catless downpipe. Catless can fail emissions depending on your state and they have a horrible gasoline smell. A high flow catted downpipe will prevent the gasoline smell and the higher cost models will pass emissions.

A Stage2 tune will use slightly higher boost levels that will cause potentially damaging back pressure against the turbo. The stock downpipe contains a catalytic converter that is too restrictive for those boost levels. So never run a Stage2 tune with a stock downpipe.

Avoid cheap chargepipes. Many have poor quality control. You want a high quality CP with excellent fitment. If you get air leaks later it's an expensive hassle to troubleshoot. You'll easily blow any money that you think that you saved with a cheap CP and much more.

FTP makes a high quality CP at a reasonable price. They also include all of the 0-rings and clips that people neglect to replace that cause leaks later. Below is a link to the N20 FTP kit that replaces both the plastic charge pipe and turbo to Intercooler pipe. It will make your boosted air intake system highly reliable.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...4549363?aff=22

You don't have to install the CP before the Stage1 tune, but I'd purchase both at the same time so that you'll have the CP in hand to install should your original quickly break.

I've been using Bootmod3 tunes for 3+ years. They are smooth, powerful factory like tunes. The free tech support is excellent. They provide free regular software updates and upgrades. The Bootmod3 user community is enthusiastic and helpful.

Bootmod3 is a flash tune that you install from your laptop or from your phone in 15min the first time if you are taking your time. Just sit in your car in your driveway and 15 minutes later you are driving a Stage1 tune.

With Bootmod3 you are purchasing a license that is tied to your car's VIN number. Bootmod3 is unique in that the original purchaser can transfer the license once to another VIN. So if you sell your car you can deinstall BM3, and reinstall it on your new BMW. Or you can sell it to someone on the used market since it has one use remaining. So Bootmod3 costs $595 initially but if later you sell it used the market price is about $300-$400.

Here's a link to purchase Bootmod3. Make sure to buy the $20 yellow cable with it to interface to your laptop. You'll need to decide which octane tune to install based on local gas quality. If you live in ACN, there's only one choice really.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

Bootmod3 installation video

The Kies Motorsports WiFi Adapter is a great thing to have to connect your phone to your car to run Bootmod3 and many other helpful applications.

WiFi Adapter video

Kies is an excellent retailer with great customer service as well as the installation videos. You can't go wrong with them.

Hope this helps!
Awesome response!! This really helped me understand where to start! I live in California gas is crazy high and the road conditions are decent. I'll start with BM3 and a chargepipe.

I've been watching YouTube vids and it's helped me learn about the installs.
Appreciate 1
djacinto355.00
      12-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #24
VibeBmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdriver320i View Post
Quote:
I have a 2015 320i stock, and I'm looking into doing some upgrades but don't know where to start.
Pic? I have 320i and I do love it.
I'll post a pic when I get home. I love mine too.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #25
ctdriver320i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Cool, will look for it. Also this may sound trite but I wanted the 320 because it's an icon going back such a long time.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      12-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
What is your mileage? It matters for maintenance recommendations. Don't listen to BMW. Their recommendations are designed to get the car to the end of warranty. After that they don't care if it falls apart. There are things that commonly go so you can be proactive by replacing them before they break.

When you get BM3 you'll want to install the 91ACN tune. See photo. Your car will run smoother if you actually put 93 octane in it. Or if you put a gallon of E85 in when you fill up.

You mentioned exhaust sound. Bootmod3 has a dashboard to play with exhaust settings in the config screen for each tune. See photos.

Don't listen to guys who start telling you to hack off parts of your exhaust system. That typically ends in disaster with horrible drone, etc.

The best exhaust that I've heard is AWE. Play with the settings first to see if you are happy. I avoid listening to video clips of exhaust systems. It's totally dependent on microphone that recorded it and speaker in your phone playing it. It's nothing like it sounds live. Go to BMW events and car shows to hear exhausts. I've been to many and AWE sounds best. Deep full sound, not cheap sounding junk like others.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #27
VibeBmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
What is your mileage? It matters for maintenance recommendations. Don't listen to BMW. Their recommendations are designed to get the car to the end of warranty. After that they don't care if it falls apart. There are things that commonly go so you can be proactive by replacing them before they break.

When you get BM3 you'll want to install the 91ACN tune. See photo. Your car will run smoother if you actually put 93 octane in it. Or if you put a gallon of E85 in when you fill up.

You mentioned exhaust sound. Bootmod3 has a dashboard to play with exhaust settings in the config screen for each tune. See photos.

Don't listen to guys who start telling you to hack off parts of your exhaust system. That typically ends in disaster with horrible drone, etc.

The best exhaust that I've heard is AWE. Play with the settings first to see if you are happy. I avoid listening to video clips of exhaust systems. It's totally dependent on microphone that recorded it and speaker in your phone playing it. It's nothing like it sounds live. Go to BMW events and car shows to hear exhausts. I've been to many and AWE sounds best. Deep full sound, not cheap sounding junk like others.

60,000 miles. Kept up wit maintaining it. Yeah I'd like it to sound good but there is no exhaust on it it's all stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #28
VibeBmw
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, will look for it. Also this may sound trite but I wanted the 320 because it's an icon going back such a long time.
That's why I got it as well! I posted the pic on the original post that I posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #29
ctdriver320i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
That's why I got it as well! I posted the pic on the original post that I posted.
lol then i am sure there are many that saw 320 and thought the same.

I wanted that color! But I found the black one and I am happy. Those wheels if I am correct were offered on the 1999 3 series and are also iconic. Are you changing wheels? 397? m400?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #30
VibeBmw
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lol then i am sure there are many that saw 320 and thought the same.

I wanted that color! But I found the black one and I am happy. Those wheels if I am correct were offered on the 1999 3 series and are also iconic. Are you changing wheels? 397? m400?
Im keeping wheels for now. I'm not sure but they look like the 397 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:51 AM   #31
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Charge pipe and a tune are an excellent start! I would look into a decent suspension, preferably something like a KW Hight Adjustable suspension, a good option that won't break the bank and gives hight adjustability similar to a more expensive coil over system. Get the car corner balanced and aligned after that.

Are you on run flats? Get some stickier tires like MPS4S to improve grip. Cosmetically, you could always go with M Sport parts but it can be pricey depending on your budget. Good luck! The 320i can be a fun car.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #32
VibeBmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Charge pipe and a tune are an excellent start! I would look into a decent suspension, preferably something like a KW Hight Adjustable suspension, a good option that won't break the bank and gives hight adjustability similar to a more expensive coil over system. Get the car corner balanced and aligned after that.

Are you on run flats? Get some stickier tires like MPS4S to improve grip. Cosmetically, you could always go with M Sport parts but it can be pricey depending on your budget. Good luck! The 320i can be a fun car.
Thank you for the response! Yes, I'm on run-flats. Will look into the tires and suspension listed. I was thinking about coilovers but I don't know what the difference is between them and regular spring suspensions.
Appreciate 0