F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 4 series was stolen
Studio RSR

12-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #23
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

There have been cases of car dealers supplying duplicate keys for cars, I'm guessing based on either fraudulent documentation or of course by more nefarious means
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:45 AM   #24
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Not sure when the sleeping functionality came out exactly but I think just towards the end of F series production.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #25
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Not sure when the sleeping functionality came out exactly but I think just towards the end of F series production.
March 2018 build onwards I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:39 AM   #26
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
@canonsred any updates?
Nothing back the insurance company have validated the claim, so waiting for valuation. The keys were away from the front door, but the fact they disabled the ring ( and a few of the neighbors ) is a brand new thing . I now keep the keys to my second car in the microwave in a faraday pouch as it seems the pouch isn't strong enough. So annoyed- think I will replace with more of a run around now as it had only done 1200 miles in the year. I know it is a piece of metal but I really enjoyed driving that car as it had all the toys and it can't be replaced as there were not many in the UK with that level of spec
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #27
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
The car was Feb 2014 so a 63 plate. Can't understand why they would have taken such an old car. Only last week my son said someone will steal the car as the Dominos delivery driver was asking who owned it after commenting about how nice it was to my son. The keys were kept safe so I think they must have a new tool or something
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #28
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Sorry to hear this OP.

When you say disabled ring cameras, did they physically rip them off, or hack them remotely?

I'm setting up both ring, and hardwired CCTV in my new home with a couple booby traps. Messed up world as i don't even know where my playstation will live but i have the security aspect all mapped out in memory.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #29
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Did you mention Op Cundall to the Police - they can track them? canonsred
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #30
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Sorry to hear this OP.

When you say disabled ring cameras, did they physically rip them off, or hack them remotely?

I'm setting up both ring, and hardwired CCTV in my new home with a couple booby traps. Messed up world as i don't even know where my playstation will live but i have the security aspect all mapped out in memory.
It looks like the WiFi was jammed - a couple of neighbours lost footage at around the time the car was stolen so it's a bit scary from that perspective. I am thinking about adding bollards across the driveway that sink back into the ground as well. I am thinking about adding CCTV but at the moment people just wear balaclavas and take whatever they want anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #31
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Very sorry to hear this, OP, awful experience, my commiserations.
Three masked men broke into my house in Jan '20, after my 440i. We disturbed them and they left empty-handed, thank G*d. I don't live in a bad neighborhood but this was a targeted crime, as the police explained at the time. I sold the car a week later. You shouldn't have to live like that, people have said to me, but life's too short to be worrying about the next time, tbh.
      12-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #32
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did you mention Op Cundall to the Police - they can track them? canonsred
No Steve - to be honest all they were interested in was giving me a crime ref number. I doubt they have the manpower to deal with it. It has been a week now so doubtful we will get it back. Another BMW was stolen same day just after mine with the same scenario i.e ring camera disabled they had a tracker with BMW but they haven't got anything back. I am guessing they are either in a container and gone somewhere or used for spare parts. I have my fingers crossed it will get recovered but I highly doubt it now. Is Op Cundall a BMW initiative?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #33
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Very sorry to hear this, OP, awful experience, my commiserations.
Three masked men broke into my house in Jan '20, after my 440i. We disturbed them and they left empty-handed, thank G*d. I don't live in a bad neighborhood but this was a targeted crime, as the police explained at the time. I sold the car a week later. You shouldn't have to live like that, people have said to me, but life's too short to be worrying about the next time, tbh.
Yeah I know - someone mentioned that at least they didn't break in. To be honest if they did they would have bumped into my GSD Storm so from that view they are lucky. It is horrible to think nowadays you can't have anything nice because someone will probably try to rob you for it. Even thinking about the replacement your thinking how much hassle do I want. Yes my area was nice but not anymore. To be fair I think generally the nicer the area the more likely something like this will happen as that is where the nicer things are
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #34
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canonsred View Post
No Steve - to be honest all they were interested in was giving me a crime ref number. I doubt they have the manpower to deal with it. It has been a week now so doubtful we will get it back. Another BMW was stolen same day just after mine with the same scenario i.e ring camera disabled they had a tracker with BMW but they haven't got anything back. I am guessing they are either in a container and gone somewhere or used for spare parts. I have my fingers crossed it will get recovered but I highly doubt it now. Is Op Cundall a BMW initiative?
Its a Police initiative.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #35
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Yes echo the comments above - horrible experience for you. Scummy fuckers.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #36
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Its a Police initiative.
Well to be honest the met did not seem to bothered. They just gave me a crime ref number and said use it when you phone the insurance company. I think they are stretched massively due to underfunding
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #37
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Not the point - you're entitled to use Op Cundall to see if they can locate your car. You don't really seem that arsed it's been robbed.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #38
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Not the point - you're entitled to use Op Cundall to see if they can locate your car. You don't really seem that arsed it's been robbed.
No it has pissed me off no end. I work hard for my stuff and to think some thieving git can take it like that is a joke. Surely the police would contact them automatically if it is a police initiative? As I mentioned the met don't seem too bothered as so many have been taken recently
Appreciate 1
MY340i719.50
      12-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #39
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Big organisations often don't communicate well. Many within will not be aware of certain aspects, this could be one.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #40
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
No it has pissed me off no end. I work hard for my stuff and to think some thieving git can take it like that is a joke. Surely the police would contact them automatically if it is a police initiative? As I mentioned the met don't seem too bothered as so many have been taken recently
The chances are that most of the Met have little knowledge of this operation, most regional forces may well struggle. So that includes phone operators and first points of contact.

This thread has demonstrated the confusion surrounding initiatives like this, they tend to get publicised at first and then it all dies off. That said often it relies on owners to shout from the rooftops when they're made aware it exists.

Notwithstanding many forces simply don't have the resources to respond as vehicle crime isn't a priority.

Many 'half decent' motors that are nicked are usually parked up on a side street for a day or two by the offenders...just in case. Then they are moved on, more than likely stripped for parts in the case of mid range bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:12 AM   #41
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

I stick an AirTag in both our cars, its 'hidden' in the boot under the false floor.

Its not perfect as if the thief has an iPhone, it will eventually alert them they are being tracked after a few days but it does give me a few days to try and locate the car before then.

Most people have iPhones and even if thief doesn't, he/she is likely to go places that are near Apple devices at some point as it just latches onto the near device to broadcast its location for tracking.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2021, 04:01 AM   #42
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Focus should be on doing everything possible to prevent them taking the car. Once it's gone, you probably don't want it back anyway.
I fiddled around with a steering wheel lock, but seems even the best ones can be removed in seconds.
Not sure if there is anything better than Ghost, but being alerted if someone enters your car is handy as well (as long as you are willing to confront the cunts)
      12-08-2021, 04:52 AM   #43
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
Focus should be on doing everything possible to prevent them taking the car. Once it's gone, you probably don't want it back anyway.
I fiddled around with a steering wheel lock, but seems even the best ones can be removed in seconds.
Not sure if there is anything better than Ghost, but being alerted if someone enters your car is handy as well (as long as you are willing to confront the cunts)
I have added a scorpion to my second car with remote immobiliser. If the tag isn't in the car it won't start. In addition when you set the geofence when it goes out of that zone Scorpian will try to get hold of you and notify the police.
I am also thinking of adding bollards to the driveway so you can't get the cars out due to a physical item being in the way
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #44
canonsred
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It makes you wonder whether it is worth getting a car like this again. I was surprised it was targeted as it was nearly 8 years old. The car was fully loaded with HUD, 360 camera etc… no way the thief could have known that - makes you paranoid as well as it went on for MOT only a week earlier and they picked up and dropped off. Looks like they disabled a few of the ring cameras in the vicinity as my neighbours went offline as well so am pretty sure it was a professional team that took the car.
Appreciate 0