F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 - Stage 2 93 octane testing - M235i 6MT
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
proTUNING Freaks's Avatar
3496
Rep
1,665
Posts


Drives: powered by bootmod3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: www.protuningfreaks.com | www.bootmod3.com

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up bootmod3 - Stage 2 93 octane testing - M235i 6MT

Hey guys, thought we'd throw some N55 numbers on here from our OTS dyno testing session. Test car was a really sweet looking M235i Track Edition running 93 octane with the following performance related mods:

- Dinan intake
- Exhaust (N54 Tuning Downpipe with M2 midpipe and MPE Axle back muffler)
- GoFastBits DV+ diverter valve upgrade

So far all our N55 tuning has been done with test cars on the street in places all over the US, Canada and overseas. This was our first official dyno session here locally with an EWG N55.

The tune here is what we're calling a Stage 2 as the downpipe is on the car. Our recommendation is to change the FMIC first as the stock intercooler is barely up to snuff with the stock tune. It heatsoaks really quickly especially on the dyno with such poor airflow.

Ambient conditions were favourable in this case but starting IATs would range anywhere from 75F with a nice cooldown to 95F. Stock intercooler would see IATs rise in a single 4th gear pull by as much as 60-65F from where they'd start even at 14psi in the top end very similar to how the N54 OEM FMIC behaves and we strongly suggest changing that out as your very first N55 hardware mod, or go with meth

We managed to put down +55whp +133wtq over same day baseline done first on this car with all the current mods on it. Given tuning was was hampered due to the stock FMIC in the top end we believe simply switching to a quality aftermarket FMIC you'd easily see another 20-25whp on top from simply managing to keep IATs in check and being able to do 5th gear pulls instead of 4th.

Boost in midrange was in the 19-20psi range to hit these torque numbers with changes to ignition timing and fuel targets, no HPFP fuel pressure dropouts. We've got throttle open wide at 100% all the way through which removes any hesitation while under WOT that can be felt with many other current tunes out there. Keeping throttle at 100% has a positive effect on the overall tune/power as it doesn't disturb airflow entering the intake manifold and you see timing corrections that were previously there simply vanish



Once the intercooler is on this car we'll revisit for a Stage 2+FMIC 93 octane map. For 91 you're looking at a lower baseline to start with and on the tune side we'd lower ignition timing by about 1-3deg depending on RPM/boost and lower boost by a pound or two.

This was on a 6MT car. 8AT will be close to these numbers. It was great to see that an EWG N55 could hang with an N54 on pump gas with similar modifications as numbers are really close Let us know if any questions at all.


Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 12-06-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
Jadar1646.00
FSociety3346.00

      12-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
redbullfan
First Lieutenant
redbullfan's Avatar
United_States
93
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Luxury Line
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Hey guys, thought we'd throw some N55 numbers on here from our OTS dyno testing session. Test car was a really sweet looking M235i Track Edition running 93 octane with the following performance related mods:

- Dinan intake
- Exhaust (N54 Tuning Downpipe with M2 midpipe and MPE Axle back muffler)
- GoFastBits DV+ diverter valve upgrade

So far all our N55 tuning has been done with test cars on the street in places all over the US, Canada and overseas. This was our first official dyno session here locally with an EWG N55.

The tune here is what we're calling a Stage 2 as the downpipe is on the car. Our recommendation is to change the FMIC first as the stock intercooler is barely up to snuff with the stock tune. It heatsoaks really quickly especially on the dyno with such poor airflow.

Ambient conditions were favourable in this case but starting IATs would range anywhere from 75F with a nice cooldown to 95F. Stock intercooler would see IATs rise in a single 4th gear pull by as much as 60-65F from where they'd start even at 14psi in the top end very similar to how the N54 OEM FMIC behaves and we strongly suggest changing that out as your very first N55 hardware mod, or go with meth

We managed to put down +55whp +133wtq over same day baseline done first on this car with all the current mods on it. Given tuning was was hampered due to the stock FMIC in the top end we believe simply switching to a quality aftermarket FMIC you'd easily see another 20-25whp on top from simply managing to keep IATs in check and being able to do 5th gear pulls instead of 4th.

Boost in midrange was in the 19-20psi range to hit these torque numbers with changes to ignition timing and fuel targets, no HPFP fuel pressure dropouts. We've got throttle open wide at 100% all the way through which removes any hesitation while under WOT that can be felt with many other current tunes out there. Keeping throttle at 100% has a positive effect on the overall tune/power as it doesn't disturb airflow entering the intake manifold and you see timing corrections that were previously there simply vanish



Once the intercooler is on this car we'll revisit for a Stage 2+FMIC 93 octane map. For 91 you're looking at a lower baseline to start with and on the tune side we'd lower ignition timing by about 1-3deg depending on RPM/boost and lower boost by a pound or two.

This was on a 6MT car. 6AT will be close to these numbers. It was great to see that an EWG N55 could hang with an N54 on pump gas with similar modifications as numbers are really close Let us know if any questions at all.

Dont the automatics have 8 gears not 6?
__________________
2013 335i XDrive Luxury Line

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
FThirtyFive
Private First Class
87
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Haliburton

iTrader: (0)

Saw this on Instagram great work guys! That midrange power must be a blast to drive!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
proTUNING Freaks's Avatar
3496
Rep
1,665
Posts


Drives: powered by bootmod3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: www.protuningfreaks.com | www.bootmod3.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
Dont the automatics have 8 gears not 6?
Typo! fixed
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
proTUNING Freaks's Avatar
3496
Rep
1,665
Posts


Drives: powered by bootmod3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: www.protuningfreaks.com | www.bootmod3.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FThirtyFive View Post
Saw this on Instagram great work guys! That midrange power must be a blast to drive!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Chicken_Joe's Avatar
United_States
566
Rep
1,772
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Frontenac, Missouri

iTrader: (3)

This gives me hope for my bebby. I am really interested to see what an FMIC and say an E40 tune can yield. I have a feeling that with those two you could maybe get past the 400whp mark which would be simply ground breaking.
__________________
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP. Dinan Shockware. Varis Japan carbon front lip. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Vvroom custom carbon side fins. Firehawk Indy 500 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
proTUNING Freaks's Avatar
3496
Rep
1,665
Posts


Drives: powered by bootmod3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: www.protuningfreaks.com | www.bootmod3.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
This gives me hope for my bebby. I am really interested to see what an FMIC and say an E40 tune can yield. I have a feeling that with those two you could maybe get past the 400whp mark which would be simply ground breaking.
I have a feeling with just an FMIC there it'd be a 400 even on this dyno. Peak numbers though don't really matter as baselines vary. Look at the baseline on this car WITH the downpipe and intake. Many Dynojet graphs out there are showing baselines of stock cars with these numbers so with this particular car on this particular dyno we're starting lower than you'd see on average out there. Nice thing is while we have the pain on our end and can't show some glory peak numbers we always enjoy seeing any of our customers on higher reading Dynojets show higher numbers are we sandbagging here? Maybe you could say so, not intentionally though takeaway, always ask for the same dyno same day baseline if possible for anyone posting a dyno graph out there, or, just enjoy the newfound power and have fun!
Appreciate 2
FSociety3346.00

      12-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Chicken_Joe's Avatar
United_States
566
Rep
1,772
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Frontenac, Missouri

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
This gives me hope for my bebby. I am really interested to see what an FMIC and say an E40 tune can yield. I have a feeling that with those two you could maybe get past the 400whp mark which would be simply ground breaking.
I have a feeling with just an FMIC there it'd be a 400 on this dyno. Peak numbers though don't really matter as baselines vary. Look at the baseline on this car WITH the downpipe and intake. Many Dynojet graphs out there are showing baselines of stock cars with these numbers so with this particular car on this particular dyno we're starting lower than you'd see on average out there. Nice thing is while we have the pain on our end and can't show some glory peak numbers we always enjoy seeing customers on higher reading Dynojets show higher numbers are we sandbagging here? Maybe you could say so, not intentionally though
I am lowkey not even wanting to dyno my car on a mustang dyno as I have a feeling numbers will be ludicrously low
__________________
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP. Dinan Shockware. Varis Japan carbon front lip. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Vvroom custom carbon side fins. Firehawk Indy 500 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1745
Rep
2,661
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Well done guys!!

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
anrec330
Private First Class
43
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Finally some 6mt love out here can't wait for the IOS app to get approved!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Jadar's Avatar
Serbia
1646
Rep
4,185
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan Ave.

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
This gives me hope for my bebby. I am really interested to see what an FMIC and say an E40 tune can yield. I have a feeling that with those two you could maybe get past the 400whp mark which would be simply ground breaking.
I have yet to see any PWG OEM turbo car to break 400 on a dynojet (or any dyno) without meth. Big turbo is the path.

You'd be better off running meth then doing e85 mixes if you want consistent power.

EWG cars are just a whole different animal.
__________________
FBO-PS1 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
FSociety
@BM3Tuning @TristateBM3 @HCP.us
FSociety's Avatar
No_Country
3346
Rep
7,283
Posts

Drives: F98 X4MC, F90 M5, F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC NJ FL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
I have yet to see any PWG OEM turbo car to break 400 on a dynojet (or any dyno) without meth. Big turbo is the path.

You'd be better off running meth then doing e85 mixes if you want consistent power.

EWG cars are just a whole different animal.
My friend PWG Stock turbo RWD 6MT with E40 did 400whp/473wtq on Dynojet a few weeks ago no meth. F30_SixSpeed JB4 but now is coming over to Bootmod3
__________________
F90 M5 BM3Tuning STG2 0-60 2.6 -- 1/4 Mile 10.2@137mph -- 60-130 6.1
F98 X4M TristateBM3 STG1+ 0-60 3.0 -- 1/4 Mile 10.7@130mph -- 60-130 7.6

IG: bmw_F9XM

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Jadar's Avatar
Serbia
1646
Rep
4,185
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan Ave.

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
I have yet to see any PWG OEM turbo car to break 400 on a dynojet (or any dyno) without meth. Big turbo is the path.

You'd be better off running meth then doing e85 mixes if you want consistent power.

EWG cars are just a whole different animal.
My friend PWG Stock turbo RWD 6MT with E40 did 400whp/473wtq on Dynojet a few weeks ago no meth. F30_SixSpeed JB4 but now is coming over to Bootmod3
That's definitely cool for a PWG. News to me I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

I guess Chicken Joe can keep that hope aliveeeeee.
__________________
FBO-PS1 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:57 AM   #14
CIWS
Moon Parasite
CIWS's Avatar
United_States
617
Rep
1,332
Posts

Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: D/FW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
takeaway, always ask for the same dyno same day baseline if possible for anyone posting a dyno graph out there
__________________

2015 335i MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe -LLumar FormulaOne ceramic tint-aFe intake scoop and Pro Dry drop-in filter.
Was - 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
FSociety3346.00

      12-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
F30_SixSpeed's Avatar
1108
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
That's definitely cool for a PWG. News to me I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

I guess Chicken Joe can keep that hope aliveeeeee.
Don't want to thread jack. Here is the thread with all the info. As OP stated, I need to upgrade my intercooler too as temps were skyrocketing during the pulls.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1312822
__________________

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD

Last edited by F30_SixSpeed; 12-06-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jadar1646.00

      12-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #16
Jadar
Dejan
Jadar's Avatar
Serbia
1646
Rep
4,185
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan Ave.

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
That's definitely cool for a PWG. News to me I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

I guess Chicken Joe can keep that hope aliveeeeee.
Don't want to thread jack. Here is the thread with all the info. As OP stated, I need to upgrade my intercooler too as temps were skyrocketing during the pulls.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1312822
Definitely cool shit
__________________
FBO-PS1 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #17
FSociety
@BM3Tuning @TristateBM3 @HCP.us
FSociety's Avatar
No_Country
3346
Rep
7,283
Posts

Drives: F98 X4MC, F90 M5, F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC NJ FL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Dejan_ BM3 is impressive because its only on Pump :-D
__________________
F90 M5 BM3Tuning STG2 0-60 2.6 -- 1/4 Mile 10.2@137mph -- 60-130 6.1
F98 X4M TristateBM3 STG1+ 0-60 3.0 -- 1/4 Mile 10.7@130mph -- 60-130 7.6

IG: bmw_F9XM

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #18
Jadar
Dejan
Jadar's Avatar
Serbia
1646
Rep
4,185
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan Ave.

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Dejan_ BM3 is impressive because its only on Pump :-D
I'm loving it so far. It's awesome Alex and Dzenno just make tweaks shoot it over to me and I upload and eat popcorn
__________________
FBO-PS1 and stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #19
sly1types
Lieutenant
102
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: F80M3 and E46M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: KC

iTrader: (0)

Do you have any dynos on E40?
__________________
F80 M3-DCT
MaxPSI CH, BM3 with F80 Paul E85 Tune
AA Mid Pipe & VRSF DPs
E46 M3
F85 X5M
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #20
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
116
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: riverside, ca

iTrader: (0)

Stage 2 on shitty California 91 feels insane. Can't wait to get it on the dyno after I get my intercooler installed
__________________
2015 f10 M5
Appreciate 1
FSociety3346.00

      12-09-2016, 12:13 AM   #21
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
788
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Great. Finally some dyno results.

Now, where is that Pure Stg2 on 93???
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #22
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
mr_kay's Avatar
122
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I really should think about going BM3 from JB4.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST