F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Usb charging on/off constantly fix!!!
proTUNING Freaks

07-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
Ringway007
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 & F34

Usb charging on/off constantly fix!!!

Hi Guys,
I Think I found the culprit to this! I had my usb port in the armrest flap with an on/off intermittent behaviour.
It was only till a few days ago a member on here brought to my attention that one of the values needed to be changed via coding.

I used BIMMERCODE and this was what I had to change:
HU_NBT > HMI 3000 > CDMM_USB_AUDIO = all

You need to change the last value at the end to (first) and this will fix the flapping issue.
Note I used BIMMERCODE in expert mode! Its pretty much simple! Let me know how you guys get on if you still have your car with this issue regarding the USB in the armrest.
      07-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #2
757seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14’ 428i coupe

Going to try this in the am. Hope this works. Does it charge better or just actually works consistently now?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
bimmer_southafrica
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringway007 View Post
Hi Guys,
I Think I found the culprit to this! I had my usb port in the armrest flap with an on/off intermittent behaviour.
It was only till a few days ago a member on here brought to my attention that one of the values needed to be changed via coding.

I used BIMMERCODE and this was what I had to change:
HU_NBT > HMI 3000 > CDMM_USB_AUDIO = all

You need to change the last value at the end to (first) and this will fix the flapping issue.
Note I used BIMMERCODE in expert mode! Its pretty much simple! Let me know how you guys get on if you still have your car with this issue regarding the USB in the armrest.
Glad it worked! Hope it helps others OCD guys out there. 😁
      06-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

I believe the coding is necessary, and just did it to my 2014 125i. The connection was working (luckly) right before the coding, so I will give it some time until say here that the issue is finally resolved. Will post back in a couple of weeks.

I've been struggling with this issue for over a year and, in my opinion, all the problems come together: sometimes, in some cars, is the USB socket that is worned out, some other times is the cable. However, sometimes, on top of the hardware intermittent failures, I believe that either the iDrive firmware and/or the iphone software crashes and they might attempt to restart the connection and then get stuck at it.

The reason I believe that software allways plays a role in this problem is because many times I observed the iDrive and my iPhone 7 getting confused about what was the audio source when connected to the USB arm rest. Most of the times they correctly sorted that is Spotify app via BMW apps (which I allways use), however, sometimes the Spotify app hangs and yet the music keeps playing, as if it was playing from the iPhone as a external USB drive. Some other times Spotify crashes at start, but then if I go to the "sources" menu on i Drive and selects "external USB" the Spotify music plays (but at a different volume). Some other times, Spotify appears at the iDrive but the music comes out of the iPhone speakers...

So, based on the behavior described above, I think that many times the on/off behavior happens as a consequence of software crashing in either end (iPhone or iDrive), because they can not resolve if the connection is via BMW Apps or regular USB (or BT, if eneabled). This explains the behavior observed by many people that only had the issue after BT enabled (another simultaneous data source). Finally, it also explains why the coding of the value described in the previous posts resolve the issue. Can't tell for sure, but when I looked at the possible values for the CMDD_USB_AUDIO (all, first, second) it looks like to me that the "all" which comes selected from factory, allows all this mess of multiple simultaneous connections. It might be that, when you change it to "first", then, once one audio connection is estabilished further requests of connection are denied.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:52 PM   #5
Losimus
Rep
Drives: '16 LR Disco Sport & '09 STi

Well, I just took ownership of this 2013 535i about a month ago and only used BT to connect my phone to stream music. If needing charging, I would use a cigarette lighter charger. Well, mine crapped out, so I started using my USB in the arm rest, worked for a few days & started doing this flashing of “on/off” & wouldn’t show my phone connected to USB.

Found this thread while google searching, changed the values with my bimmercode & fixed it for me, so far…like TrackEnthusiast mentioned, I think only downside will be that it will deny the other automatic audio connection unless selected, but, haven’t tested that yet.

TLDR: had on/of charging flash, used bimmercode to change parameters & fixed the issue, no new cords needed
Appreciate 0