F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > If this forum existed in 1979
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #45
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Don't go there... I worked for a Rover/Triumph dealer during the time the SD1 was launched. All the same horrid colour, Turmeric. I remember preparing the launch car we had, we had rust in the tailgate shuts, on a new car.

3500 was a reasonable car to drive. Shame the QC was so bad. Typical BL issues.
My old man had a 1979 SD1 in a pale blue metallic - looked fab but as you say build quality was appalling - it was the archetypal 'Friday afternoon' car. Needed a new engine after 13 months (and just out of warranty!)

Was pretty rapid in a straight line (well at least by the standards of the day), but very wallowy in the twisties from what I recall, and the electrics were shockingly bad.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #46
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You didn't miss a lot from "the good old days" of motoring.

I recall the days of fading brakes, (drums on the front), adjusting cable brakes, lots of steering shimmy, 'crash' gearboxes, no engine power, over heating, no cabin heaters, etc., etc.

I remember driving 1950's cars like the Morris Minor, Austin A35 van, Austin J2 van. My first car was a 1965 Vauxhall HA Viva, 70+mph on a good day with the wind behind you. Getting into a 1968 Cortina Mk 2 GT was like entering driving dream world.
It's like being nostalgic for measles, mumps & rickets

In 1979 I was driving my first car, a 1972 Morris Marina 1.8L, where 1.8 denoted the badge power in bhp.... my mates called it "Fireball XL5" (look it up) because the clamshell petrol tanks on these used to rust around the welds, and when you went round the corner fuel used to splash onto the exhaust. The fumes in the back seat were unreal until I got it fixed.

The sills (remember those) were mostly constructed from Paddy Hopkirk Plastic Padding, as were swathes of the front wings, particularly around the headlights. Happy days.....
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
It's like being nostalgic for measles, mumps & rickets

In 1979 I was driving my first car, a 1972 Morris Marina 1.8L, where 1.8 denoted the badge power in bhp.... my mates called it "Fireball XL5" (look it up) because the clamshell petrol tanks on these used to rust around the welds, and when you went round the corner fuel used to splash onto the exhaust. The fumes in the back seat were unreal until I got it fixed.

The sills (remember those) were mostly constructed from Paddy Hopkirk Plastic Padding, as were swathes of the front wings, particularly around the headlights. Happy days.....
My girlfriend had a 1.3 coupe a few years after 1979 (probably 83) - I remember the petrol fumes issue. Not saying why I was in the back seat...
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #48
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
My girlfriend had a 1.3 coupe a few years after 1979 (probably 83) - I remember the petrol fumes issue. Not saying why I was in the back seat...
Probably because the front footwells were full of water
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #49
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Probably because the front footwells were full of water
Or getting out of the way having seen her driving.... !
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #50
Marksw76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i XDrive M Sport

Quote:
My old man had a 1979 SD1 in a pale blue metallic - looked fab but as you say build quality was appalling - it was the archetypal 'Friday afternoon' car.
I think all of BL's cars were 'Friday afternoon' cars, since the workforce would inevitably be on strike for the rest of the week
Appreciate 0