F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CarPlay for NBT (or NBT to EVO upgrade)
Extreme Powerhouse

07-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
neils
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

CarPlay for NBT (or NBT to EVO upgrade)

Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed a million times on here, and I have found varying levels of info on this topic, so thought I would post a new topic and see where this winds up.

Have a 2014 435i (F32). My understanding is that this comes with NBT. My objective was to figure out how I could get CarPlay on it. My understanding is that in order to get CarPlay, plus the updated tile menu, one would require NBT-EVO.

I also read of various ID versions 4++, 5, 5++, 6 light, 6. I am not sure what version I would require for CarPlay to be installed/working.

So to my question, is there any way, without ripping out dashboards, headunits, hardware, that I can simply flash or code from NBT to NBT-EVO.

And if I remained on NBT (non EVO), can I upgrade from current ID version (assuming 4++) to 5 or 6 ??

Again, objective is to add CarPlay to current NBT system.

Now, before anyone jumps to the answer no not possible, I found this link below that claims it is possible for NMT 2012-2016 models.

http://www.naviplus.com.au/single-po...m-2012-to-2016

Thanks
Neil
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
DrSus
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32/F56/i3

The way they achieve CarPlay if I am not mistaken is by adding a "CarPlay box" that connects to your existing NBT unit and uses a separate microphone, at least for the one I have seen.

Having the NBT Evo would be the only way to ever have the real BMW CarPlay. NBT and NBT Evo are completely different hardware too so there is no way to upgrade software to achieve this with your current set up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you decide to upgrade your iDrive to NBT Evo ID5/6 our retrofit kit comes with CarPlay activated.

If you don’t want to change the whole iDrive system, contact us to add CarPlay MMI to your existing iDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
neils
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

To Bimmertech,

From what I read on your site, it seems that a swap of the head unit is still necessary to add any sort of CarPlay module. I would like to avoid opening up the dashboard, and ideally if I have to, simply plugging in an external module somewhere, whether it be via USB or a harness in the trunk.

My guess is that one will have to get behind the dash and head unit to be able to connect this unit of yours to some stock harness back there, correct ?

As for the EVO upgrade, what does that involve, a complete swapout of the head unit and display ?? Any other hardware changes ?? Any mods required to the dash for display or headunit ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neils View Post
To Bimmertech,

From what I read on your site, it seems that a swap of the head unit is still necessary to add any sort of CarPlay module. I would like to avoid opening up the dashboard, and ideally if I have to, simply plugging in an external module somewhere, whether it be via USB or a harness in the trunk.

My guess is that one will have to get behind the dash and head unit to be able to connect this unit of yours to some stock harness back there, correct ?

As for the EVO upgrade, what does that involve, a complete swapout of the head unit and display ?? Any other hardware changes ?? Any mods required to the dash for display or headunit ?

Thanks
First of all, you can go to this page:
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-3-series-f30-f31-f34-f80/connecteddrive-retrofits/carplay-activation

And click “Check compatibility with your BMW”. Enter your VIN and see if we can do a software activation or CarPlay MMI or nothing at all.
It will even tell you if you need a WiFi antenna for the activation.

Since you have NBT, the software activation won’t be compatible.

If you have any other specific questions drop us an email with your VIN to info@bimmer-tech.net and we will be happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
We do have a new CarPlay interface available that supports iOS screen mirroring as well.

You will need NBT for this to work. This kit also uses your factory mic so there is no need to run an additional one. It is however wired and not wireless.

Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 07-28-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #7
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
We do have a new CarPlay interface available that supports iOS screen mirroring as well.

You will need NBT for this to work. This kit also uses your factory mic so there is no need to run an additional one. It is however wired and not wireless.

link to product?
      07-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Thanks for the video, a couple of questions. Is there a way to connect the phone and jump directly to carplay mode? Could you go full screen there without the carplay logo at the right?

Last edited by x-m4n; 07-31-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

sorry to bump an old post... i'm looking into updating my NBT system to the new style. I currently have a 2014 750i with NBT_O16255A
What can I do to get the newest NBT? I've seen some Russian videos that claim to be able to code/update the NBT system with the new EVO software without having to change out the hardware. Worst case, if I do have to change the hardware, what do I need? Just a new screen and NBT module?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
sorry to bump an old post... i'm looking into updating my NBT system to the new style. I currently have a 2014 750i with NBT_O16255A
What can I do to get the newest NBT? I've seen some Russian videos that claim to be able to code/update the NBT system with the new EVO software without having to change out the hardware. Worst case, if I do have to change the hardware, what do I need? Just a new screen and NBT module?
Hello

I bought mine from ebay. NBT evo. better than flashing an id4 to id5. its buggy and there is a chance that it will random reboot.

just pay the money and get a ID5/6 unit. worth every penny.

Kamal
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
ricobrumsey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' 435 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo1908 View Post
Hello

I bought mine from ebay. NBT evo. better than flashing an id4 to id5. its buggy and there is a chance that it will random reboot.

Kamal
Did you do your own coding to get everything working with your new ID5/ID6 unit? I would like to go the route of buying my own NBT_EVO ID6 unit, but don't have clear guidance on the coding aspect to have everything work with my VIN.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #12
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricobrumsey View Post
Quote:
Hello

Kamal
Did you do your own coding to get everything working with your new ID5/ID6 unit? I would like to go the route of buying my own NBT_EVO ID6 unit, but don't have clear guidance on the coding aspect to have everything work with my VIN.
No i payed for the coding. Didnt want the hassle of chaning VIN and stuff like that.

Steve@codemybimmer coded it for me. Activated carplay. Write VIN and activate nav and vim with fsc.

That again, worth every penny. Within an hour he had everything coded and running
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #13
mannyhernz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
No i payed for the coding. Didnt want the hassle of chaning VIN and stuff like that.

Steve@codemybimmer coded it for me. Activated carplay. Write VIN and activate nav and vim with fsc.

That again, worth every penny. Within an hour he had everything coded and running
So the new evo works 100% on your vehicle?
Connected drive also? Sirius radio?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyhernz View Post
If you have a 2016, it would be exactly the same as factory as your unit would be for your market so SXM and ConnectedDrive will work.

We even support South East Asia and Australia now.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:21 AM   #15
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyhernz View Post
Quote:

Dont know. Dont use connected drive. And i think we dont have sirius in Holland. The rest works like a charm. Thanks to Steve@codemybimmer
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:33 AM   #16
Wood1122
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:

how much do you pay for the coding, if you dont mind me asking? because i am also considering upgrading NBT and NBT Evo. many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #17
Jamesie975
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i F33

BimmerTech Carplay

Hi All,

I have a 2016 F33 (with NBT) that unfortunately didn’t come with CarPlay or the later version combox.
My work-around was to purchase BimmerTech’s CarPlay box.

Overall happy with the unit as I now have iPhone apps- Waze/google maps/Spotify to name a few.

For anyone else with the BimmerTech CarPlay unit, hoping you can help with a few things..

Since installing, I can no longer see service requirements in the iDrive (can see service history still) Annoying as I can’t see things like when take pads are due, etc. anyone else note this ?

Other things include :

-HUD directions no longer show (confirmed by BimmerTech that is doesn’t support - after I purchased the unit)
- can’t adjust time or date (for daylight savings)
- can’t select a few options in the trip menu settings

Anyone else experience this, or is it just my unit ?

Cheers,

James
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #18
seanos10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport

Good reviews on the unit linked below for fullscreen wireless carplay & Android Auto.

Tempted to pull the trigger on this and ditch my Android screen and go back to my NBT 8.8 screen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...32e43c00GoLqTL
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos10 View Post
Good reviews on the unit linked below for fullscreen wireless carplay & Android Auto.

Tempted to pull the trigger on this and ditch my Android screen and go back to my NBT 8.8 screen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...32e43c00GoLqTL
Do you know anyone who tired that?
      08-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #20
ce23
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
Do you know anyone who tired that?
I would also be interested, but I am looking for a solution which allows me to use the stock microphone.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #21
Compas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50D F15 2014

Quote:
Hello

Kamal
Hi Kamal,
Which eBay seller did you buy from? I’m looking to do the same with my BMW X5 F15 2014. It has the NBT unit in it and want to upgrade to NBT EVO ID6 Professional. Any hep would be much appreciated.
Cheers
David
Appreciate 0