F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW F30 318d n47t Engine noise check
proTUNING Freaks

01-13-2021, 09:24 AM   #1
Jaypit
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d Luxury

BMW F30 318d n47t Engine noise check

Hi All

Just wanted to get your opinions on the sound of my n47t motor. Does it sound healthy or like it has a wearing timing chain system? it was a cold start and i was holding down the air filter housing for the first half of the video.

https://youtu.be/pBvaxjm6L1M

Apologies for the stretched video.

Last edited by Jaypit; 01-13-2021 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypit View Post
Hi All

Just wanted to get your opinions on the sound of my n47t motor. Does it sound healthy or like it has a wearing timing chain system? it was a cold start and i was holding down the air filter housing for the first half of the video.

Apologies for the stretched video.
The actual diesel rumble sounds nice. What I do not like is that chirping sound. Mine does not chirp like that. Wonder if anyone else can chime in.

Edit: Here is mine from a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 02:52 AM   #3
Jaypit
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
The actual diesel rumble sounds nice. What I do not like is that chirping sound. Mine does not chirp like that. Wonder if anyone else can chime in.

Sounds nice! was that on a cold start? or did you get a recent oil change because your motor sounds much more subtle than mine. Wondering if mine is a healthy sound (minus the chirp, i think thats beacause there was some water left in the engine bay which got to the pulleys)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think mine was warmed up at that time, but it sounds basically the same cold or hot. It was between 40K-50K miles at a time, the engine is about 3 years old. With the only exception if it is really cold (close to or below freezing), the engine idles about 100rpm higher for the first few minutes, which is also a normal occurrence. I don't hear any unusual sounds from yours, to be honest. Sounds like a diesel. LOL. The chirp certainly sounds like it may be coming from a pulley, would be worth fixing for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Both sound normal to me, and healthy. The chirping on the first one is very slight, and if the engine wasn't warmed up first, it could be anything from moisture on the belt to a cold, slightly underlubed pulley. I would check it again when it's fully up to temp, even have someone gently rev it up and see if the chirp increases in frequency.

You could try using one of those magnetic wands that's used to grab fallen bolts and touch each individual pulley (including the alternator) to see if the chirping can be isolated.

Bottom line though is that, to me, it doesn't sound serious in any way.
      01-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #6
Jaypit
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think mine was warmed up at that time, but it sounds basically the same cold or hot. It was between 40K-50K miles at a time, the engine is about 3 years old. With the only exception if it is really cold (close to or below freezing), the engine idles about 100rpm higher for the first few minutes, which is also a normal occurrence. I don't hear any unusual sounds from yours, to be honest. Sounds like a diesel. LOL. The chirp certainly sounds like it may be coming from a pulley, would be worth fixing for sure.
Ah ok sounds pretty sweet for a diesel! But then again it’s done 35k miles less than my motor. Thanks for the opinion definitely helps me get a little more peace of mind and yes I will definitely have a look at then pulleys when engine is at temp.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
Jaypit
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
Both sound normal to me, and healthy. The chirping on the first one is very slight, and if the engine wasn't warmed up first, it could be anything from moisture on the belt to a cold, slightly underlubed pulley. I would check it again when it's fully up to temp, even have someone gently rev it up and see if the chirp increases in frequency.

You could try using one of those magnetic wands that's used to grab fallen bolts and touch each individual pulley (including the alternator) to see if the chirping can be isolated.

Bottom line though is that, to me, it doesn't sound serious in any way.
Thanks andreigbs for the response. Yes I am suspecting the same thing with the chirping. I’ll definitely try what you suggested. Ah atleast I’ll have that extra peace of mind about my motor!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
Boris31
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320d

Quote:

To me both engines sounds great.
Please take a look at my engine sound, im concerned about that ticking noise from the right side of the engine at start.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:53 AM   #9
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Boris31 I can reproduce the same ticking sound on the right side if I activate "measure engine oil" function. This results in car raising RPM from 780 at idle to exactly 1000rpm. Then I can hear the same tick until measurement is done and RPM drop back to idle. I will have to check mine on cold engine and will get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
Boris31
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320d

Quote:
Boris31 I can reproduce the same ticking sound on the right side if I activate "measure engine oil" function. This results in car raising RPM from 780 at idle to exactly 1000rpm. Then I can hear the same tick until measurement is done and RPM drop back to idle. I will have to check mine on cold engine and will get back to you.
Hi, thanks for your answer. My rpms are normal. I did not activate measure oil function. When you have time take a look and please answer me if its the same sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris31 View Post
Quote:
Hi, thanks for your answer. My rpms are normal. I did not activate measure oil function. When you have time take a look and please answer me if its the same sound.
@Boris31, here is my N47 Cold started this morning. Garage temperature at 11C and outside temperature of - 1C. No ticking sounds. However, should I activate oil check function and RPMs rise, it ticks exactly like yours. I will try to video that as well in a day or two.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:16 PM   #12
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is my last video I promised, during warmed up engine and engine oil check procedure. You can hear the engine starts to sound like yours at 1000rpm during oil check procedure.

Appreciate 0