F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can I only change 1 or 2 tires on 440i?
ARMA SPEED

09-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
markb68
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i Gran Coupe

Can I only change 1 or 2 tires on 440i?

I recently purchased a 2017 440i with AWD and love it. However, only 3 winter tires came with the car as one was blown. This car only has 26,000 km on it and I estimate that only 10,000 km was driven in the winter.

Given that the other three winter tires have quite a bit of wear left, would I be ok in only purchasing one tire as opposed to the entire set or 2 tires? I read stuff online that only changing one tire can lead to problems with the drivetrain but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb68 View Post
I recently purchased a 2017 440i with AWD and love it. However, only 3 winter tires came with the car as one was blown. This car only has 26,000 km on it and I estimate that only 10,000 km was driven in the winter.

Given that the other three winter tires have quite a bit of wear left, would I be ok in only purchasing one tire as opposed to the entire set or 2 tires? I read stuff online that only changing one tire can lead to problems with the drivetrain but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks
Get an inexpensive tire wear gauge and actually measure and write down your remaining tread depth across the tires. You can look up the original tread depth at TireRack under the Spec tab for each tire.

If the amount of wear is significant you can buy a brand new matching tire and have that amount shaved off. Ask TireRack if they provide that service. Or find a local tire shop that can do it. Then you'll have four matching tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
The short answer is you have heard correctly.

I don't know what the tolerance percentage is on a BMW, but most AWD cars need the circumference to be pretty close on all four corners. It's been a long time, but I remember my old Subaru needed to be within 3%, I think.

Depending on tread depth you choice becomes either shaving one good tire or replacing all four.
      09-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
The short answer is you have heard correctly.

I don't know what the tolerance percentage is on a BMW, but most AWD cars need the circumference to be pretty close on all four corners. It's been a long time, but I remember my old Subaru needed to be within 3%, I think.

Depending on tread depth you choice becomes either shaving one good tire or replacing all four.
BMW Xdrive is supposed to be within 1%, but some people run a little more difference without issue. However, YMMV.
Appreciate 1