F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Basic brakes upgrade
ARMA SPEED

08-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

So my rear brake pads need changing and I think my front brake disc is warped so I'm thinking of upgrading all of the brakes at the same time. I have a basic F30 320D ED so l believe the fronts are 312mm however correct me if I'm wrong. It's my daily driver and it's been remapped but by no means do I think that it's a high performance car and all of a sudden needs the big brake M Performance upgrade but I am just considering what options are available to me.

1. Replace like for like and stick with the same size discs? This will obviously be the cheapest option and should be adequate in terms of braking ability. Should I only be buying genuine BMW parts or does anyone know which brand is OE for discs and pads?

2. Stick with the same size discs but go for a better style such as dimpled and grooved to improve aesthetics? Are there any pros/cons to these? Obviously the discs will cost more but apart from looking better, are they any better at braking and can they cause more noise?

3. Upgrade to bigger 340mm M Sport discs (not the big blue brakes or M Performance kit as these will be well out of my budget). Obviously braking performance will increase right but will the difference be really noticeable? Do they need bigger pads and calipers too or can I simply upgrade to bigger brake discs without needing to do anything else?

As you can probably tell I'm a complete novice when it comes to brakes so I'm looking for any advice or tips that you can suggest without breaking the bank. If you guys can recommend the best brands to consider, best place to buy etc too that would be much appreciated.
      08-25-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Hi

Have a look at this thread.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1744775

The sting of the cost has been lost in the enjoyment of the look and yes, the car does stop much much better. Only downside is a little more brake dust but it’s not really noticeable on my darker wheels.

You can achieve a similar effects far cheaper by buying 3rd party discs. Dimpled discs are available for the smaller brakes. Going to larger discs will need larger callipers etc.

I believe teaston is the man when it comes to brakes.
Appreciate 1
Fez_766.50
      08-25-2020, 04:12 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
So my rear brake pads need changing and I think my front brake disc is warped so I'm thinking of upgrading all of the brakes at the same time. I have a basic F30 320D ED so l believe the fronts are 312mm however correct me if I'm wrong. It's my daily driver and it's been remapped but by no means do I think that it's a high performance car and all of a sudden needs the big brake M Performance upgrade but I am just considering what options are available to me.

1. Replace like for like and stick with the same size discs? This will obviously be the cheapest option and should be adequate in terms of braking ability. Should I only be buying genuine BMW parts or does anyone know which brand is OE for discs and pads?

2. Stick with the same size discs but go for a better style such as dimpled and grooved to improve aesthetics? Are there any pros/cons to these? Obviously the discs will cost more but apart from looking better, are they any better at braking and can they cause more noise?

3. Upgrade to bigger 340mm M Sport discs (not the big blue brakes or M Performance kit as these will be well out of my budget). Obviously braking performance will increase right but will the difference be really noticeable? Do they need bigger pads and calipers too or can I simply upgrade to bigger brake discs without needing to do anything else?

As you can probably tell I'm a complete novice when it comes to brakes so I'm looking for any advice or tips that you can suggest without breaking the bank. If you guys can recommend the best brands to consider, best place to buy etc too that would be much appreciated.
I've had three different combinations of calipers/discs on my F30. I'm speaking from experience. Below is my advice. Remember that it's worth what you paid. 😀

You probably have 312mm front brakes, as you said, which means that you also have 300mm rear brakes.

A1. If you are sticking with a stock plain surface rotor setup don't use BMW parts. Discs are excellent quality, but too high priced. Zimmermann are high quality German rotors that, unlike BMW, are coated against rust and are less costly.

BMW pads bite is average at best and they put out heavy sticky black dust. Hawk 5.0 are the best street performance pads that I've found by far. Widely distributed in the US, but I have seen them on AmazonUK and Zeckhausen Racing will ship to UK, just email them. They make a huge difference. Hawk 5.0 have great bite, instant warm up (unlike ceramic pads that don't work until they heat up) and light dust that washes right off.

Another upgrade that you can feel are replacing the rubber brake hoses for stainless steel brake lines. Set of four can be had for $100-$150US. There are UK brands for F30. Gets rid of pedal mush and makes for firmer brake pedal feel.

A2. Dimpled/grooved have marginally better bite which is offset by noise complaints. Really a gimmick from BMW marketing, not an engineering improvement. Slots are for very high heat tracking designed to tear into pads (noisy). Not what you want on a daily driver. Avoid slotted.

An actual upgrade you can feel are fully crossdrilled rotors. Best bite and best in rain because water can't trap between pad and disc surfaces. Porsche, Mercedes, McLaren etc all use crossdrilled on their sport models. Certainly front discs and rear also if you can afford them. Zimmermann makes crossdrilled.

A3. Can't upgrade to front 340mm disc without changing to the Brembo 340 calipers and different pad size. A used pair of those calipers in US is $300-$500 depending on condition and luck.

Yes, a noticeable difference with 340 front brakes but would really nosedive with stock 300mm rear brakes. You need to upgrade rears to a minimum of 330mm rear calipers which can be had used for $100-$250. Best with 340mm fronts are Brembo 2-piston 345mm rear calipers. Used pair is $350-$500US.

Changing out calipers even when you find great deals used can get expensive quickly. Keep in mind that every change in caliper also entails a different size disc and pad. As disc size grows so does the price. Sometimes you can find used calipers locally where the seller will throw in used stock discs in good condition. Often they can be cleaned up with a 24-hour vinegar soak followed by a wire brushing.

My advice below based on what you said. This setup will provide a noticeable brake improvement over what you had, better than when the car was new.

a) Stick with your stock calipers

b) Zimmermann crossdrilled rotors in front

c) Zimmermann rear, either plain or crossdrilled. (Most of the difference is felt with change to fronts. Cross drilled in rear do provide improvement but a little money can be saved by going with rear plain if you have to)

d)Stainless steel brake lines (installation labor is practically free when done at same time as brake job and brake fluid replacement which should be done every two years for safety.)

e) Hawk 5.0 pads- these make the biggest difference of all the items listed. If I only could make one upgrade these pads would be it. No other pad is close.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Attached are photos of Hawk 5.0 pads showing the part numbers circled in red. Also photo of StopTech stainless steel brake lines with part numbers. There are other SS F3x lines on the market too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Hi

The sting of the cost has been lost in the enjoyment of the look and yes, the car does stop much much better. Only downside is a little more brake dust but it's not really noticeable on my darker wheels.

You can achieve a similar effects far cheaper by buying 3rd party discs. Dimpled discs are available for the smaller brakes. Going to larger discs will need larger callipers etc.

Sadly he's been banned. It's a shame because he was a great contributor to the forum. If he was here he would recommend a brake pad upgrade. To be specific the Ferodo DS2500 series.

These pads have above average brake fade abilities. They are racing pads but suitable for street use. There are no reports of them cracking like some EBC pads do.

Disc wise. It's an open choice. Drilled. Slotted. Grooved and drilled. Bosch, brembo, jurid... all pretty decent.
Appreciate 1
Fez_766.50
      08-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Quote:
Hi

The sting of the cost has been lost in the enjoyment of the look and yes, the car does stop much much better. Only downside is a little more brake dust but it's not really noticeable on my darker wheels.

Sadly he's been banned. It's a shame because he was a great contributor to the forum. If he was here he would recommend a brake pad upgrade. To be specific the Ferodo DS2500 series.

These pads have above average brake fade abilities. They are racing pads but suitable for street use. There no reports of them cracking like some EBC pads do.

Disc wise. It's an open choice. Drilled. Slotted. Grooved and drilled. Bosch, brembo, jurid... all pretty decent.
What got Teaspoon the Ban?
      08-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Quote:
Hi

These pads have above average brake fade abilities. They are racing pads but suitable for street use. There no reports of them cracking like some EBC pads do.

What got Teaspoon the Ban?
Freedom of speech apparently on one of the other boards.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nick the Greek. Is that you?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@johnung Soul_Glo Pentland Thank you very much lads! This is the exact sort of advice I was hoping for when posting this thread so really appreciate your responses. I'll now look into all suggestions and will come back if I have any more questions
      09-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #10
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick question guys before I order my parts. Obviously I need 2 sets of discs and pads as well as 1 sensor for the front and 1 for the rear.

But do I need to buy anything else to go with it as I've read about needing fitting kits / clips / paste / retaining springs / pin seals or will the garage be able to work with just the above?

I'll be using a local garage so the last thing I want is to turn up on the day with discs, pads and sensors and then be told I need to supply something else too.

Thanks in advance.
      09-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quick question guys before I order my parts. Obviously I need 2 sets of discs and pads as well as 1 sensor for the front and 1 for the rear.

But do I need to buy anything else to go with it as I've read about needing fitting kits / clips / paste / retaining springs / pin seals or will the garage be able to work with just the above?

I'll be using a local garage so the last thing I want is to turn up on the day with discs, pads and sensors and then be told I need to supply something else too.

Thanks in advance.
Spoke to a few garages today over the phone and they've said I should be fine with just the discs pads and sensors.

Popped into one earlier as well to get them to do a visual inspection and they said I need to replace the OSF inner tie rod too so I will then need to get the tracking done as well. Will I be okay just replacing the 1 or should I get both done on the same axle at the same time? Also can anyone point me in the direction of where to purchase it from?
      09-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #12
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry for all the questions but should I replace handbrake shoes too or not? johnung Soul_Glo Pentland
      09-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry for all the questions but should I replace handbrake shoes too or not? johnung Soul_Glo Pentland
Usually not necessary unless someone drove with them on for awhile or really messed them up somehow.

Just make sure at the end of a brake job that they are adjusted properly.
Appreciate 1
Fez_766.50
      09-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

A 2013 car should not need it's shoes doing yet...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #15
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
A 2013 car should not need it's shoes doing yet...
Nice one