F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Jacking an F30 onto Axle Stands
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D MSport

Jacking an F30 onto Axle Stands

Hi chaps,

What is the best way to jack up an F30 on to a pair of Axle stands? I want to jack the front of my F30 onto a pair of axle stands for when I do an oil change. However, the low profile jack I have can't reach the front central jacking point on the car.

Was wondering if anyone can give some tips on how to jack the front up on to both axle stands. I hear some people say place the jack on the subframe but I have covers everywhere underneath the car so I'm not sure the safe place to put the back except for the jacking point on the side of the car.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Could you drive up onto some wooden planks to raise the car enough to get the jack on the central jacking point?

If not, I've never had any issues on any car in jacking one side, putting an axle stand under the subframe somewhere, then jacking the other side. Just make sure you put it somewhere solid and unsprung, is subframe, or where the wishbone joins to the subframe.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
apex_crisis_
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

1) Jack up the car using the rear side jacking point. This will also start lifting the same side front, enough for you to put an axle stand under the front point.
2) Lower the rear and now you have enough clearance under the car to reach the front middle point.

Now you have both front axle stands. I'd suggest leaving the jack in the middle as well, just for safety as a 3rd support.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:54 AM   #4
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
Could you drive up onto some wooden planks to raise the car enough to get the jack on the central jacking point?

If not, I've never had any issues on any car in jacking one side, putting an axle stand under the subframe somewhere, then jacking the other side. Just make sure you put it somewhere solid and unsprung, is subframe, or where the wishbone joins to the subframe.
How did you get access to your subframe? Mines is all covered with plastic covers. Don't fancy taking them off.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If you look underneath the front you'll notice a recessed rectangle in the black under tray with a dimple in the middle. This is the front jacking point. You use the under tray as the jacking surface (it's a fibrous material, so ok for the weight).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Alscoob2116.00
      09-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-dawg View Post
How did you get access to your subframe? Mines is all covered with plastic covers. Don't fancy taking them off.

It was more generic than F3x specific guidance.

You can still put axle stands under the front wishbones though which are not covered. The bit where the wishbone joins onto the subframe (with the rubber bush inside) is exposed from memory, so putting it under there supports the weight of the car unsprung, rather than compressing the front suspension by supporting underneath the wishbone.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Also is your jack a small one or a large garage type.? .. The small ones will struggle to reach that jacking point in the front
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
If you look underneath the front you'll notice a recessed rectangle in the black under tray with a dimple in the middle. This is the front jacking point. You use the under tray as the jacking surface (it's a fibrous material, so ok for the weight).
Just don't confuse it with the flap which covers the oil drain plug. You don't want to be jacking the weight of the car through the engine sump.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
samm134
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F33 435d / Tesla Model 3

I use these to raise the front end. They are made by Laser, and are about £30 on Amazon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
sspade2464.50
BBri89512.50
TiredGeek360.50
      09-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samm134 View Post
I use these to raise the front end. They are made by Laser, and are about £30 on Amazon.
+1

No reason to brake out the jack and jack stands if you're only changing the oil. Ramps are quicker and safer.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
dholdi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 35d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
+1

No reason to brake out the jack and jack stands if your only changing the oil. Ramps are quicker and safer.
I've a set of those that I used to get my old Leon high enough to jack up.
I cant believe they are enough to get under for oil changes etc ????
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdi2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
+1

No reason to brake out the jack and jack stands if your only changing the oil. Ramps are quicker and safer.
Mine are Rhino Ramps which are very common and cheap in the USA. These are definitely tall enough for F series oil changes, not sure about other brands specifically.

***pictured is a RWD lowered on Bilstein B8 and AC Schnitzer spring kit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:10 AM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Mine are Rhino Ramps which are very common and cheap in the USA. These are definitely tall enough for F series oil changes, not sure about other brands specifically.
It depends on the ramp angles and whether the car is lowered.

I've got a pair of high lift 5T ramps like the Rhinos (the height is essential for an oil change, but the lowered ride height in the car means that I need to hack up a couple of inches get get the leading edge if the ramps under the front valance.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #14
samm134
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F33 435d / Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I use them to raise the car to get the jack under the central lifting point.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

These Race Ramp Wheel Cribs looks quite useful:
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/race...native-385257/

You just use the jacking pads to get the car high enough and put the wheel crib under the tyre either side. Seems quite safe and sturdy.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
These Race Ramp Wheel Cribs looks quite useful:
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/race...native-385257/

You just use the jacking pads to get the car high enough and put the wheel crib under the tyre either side. Seems quite safe and sturdy.
The shortest Wheel Crib is 8" tall. No way can my jack get the car high enough to get a hanging wheel 8" off the ground.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I tried Rhino Ramps. There are two different models. Definitely spend the extra $10-$20 to get the heavier duty model. What the packaging doesn't tell you is that the HD ones are also a little wider, so much easier to get a car up onto. My car has wider 245 tires. That extra 20mm, just about 3/4", makes them too wide to fit on the smaller rhino ramp.

Unfortunately even the larger Rhino Ramps do not work with my car. I have a '15 335i xDrive which already is higher in the front. But I lowered my front end with Eibach springs. It's only 0.8" but the bottom of my front spoiler hits the Rhino Ramp about four inches from the top.

I finally said screw it and made an investment in a Race Ramps model that was both a gradual incline and got the car high enough to work under. Expensive but they'll last a lifetime and work with any car.

Update: originally posted the incorrect link. I got the 67" long, 2-piece, 1,500lb capacity model below. The link brings up the single piece and then you have to choose the two-piece on that page.

https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser.../race/p/RR-XT/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #18
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

This is how:

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #19
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I tried Rhino Ramps. There are two different models. Definitely spend the extra $10-$20 to get the heavier duty model. What the packaging doesn't tell you is that the HD ones are also a little wider, so much easier to get a car up onto. My car has wider 245 tires. That extra 20mm, just about 3/4", makes them too wide to fit on the smaller rhino ramp.

Unfortunately even the larger Rhino Ramps do not work with my car. I have a '15 335i xDrive which already is higher in the front. But I lowered my front end with Eibach springs. It's only 0.8" but the bottom of my front spoiler hits the Rhino Ramp about four inches from the top.

I finally said screw it and made an investment in a Race Ramps model that was both a gradual incline and got the car high enough to work under. Expensive but they'll last a lifetime and work with any car.

https://www.raceramps.com/garage-ser.../p/RR-XT-2-HD/
Bargain
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      09-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #20
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The shortest Wheel Crib is 8" tall. No way can my jack get the car high enough to get a hanging wheel 8" off the ground.
What type of jack do you use? On my jack I managed to get it up so the front wheen is just over 9 inches of the ground:

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
What type of jack do you use? On my jack I managed to get it up so the front wheen is just over 9 inches of the ground:

Actually my jack looks almost identical to yours but you have more of a concrete driveway surface. I have asphalt. If I try to jack higher the wheels on the jack catch in the asphalt instead of rolling like they should. Last time, even with a proper jack pad adapter inserted, my jack stuck in the asphalt and blew out the side of the BMW plastic jack pad & damaged my car.

These RaceRamps are the best I've ever had. I'll hand them down to one of my kids someday
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #22
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually my jack looks almost identical to yours but you have more of a concrete driveway surface. I have asphalt. If I try to jack higher the wheels on the jack catch in the asphalt instead of rolling like they should. Last time, even with a proper jack pad adapter inserted, my jack stuck in the asphalt and blew out the side of the BMW plastic jack pad & damaged my car.

These RaceRamps are the best I've ever had. I'll hand them down to one of my kids someday
I would have got the Race Ramps but unfortunatly my drive isn't long enough to use them so will probably end up buying the wheel crib instead.
Appreciate 0