F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > USB/Bluetooth stopped working
Extreme Powerhouse

08-14-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
jdgonzalez
Master Bacon Eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

USB/Bluetooth stopped working

I had an issue earlier this week where I couldn't connect either via USB or Bluetooth. Kept trying to make it work all morning. The simply would not recognize that there was a phone to connect to. When I got in my car after work, Bluetooth and usb worked fine.

Anybody ever had an issue like that? I once had it happen in a Ford Flex but all I did was turn the car off then back on. Sounds like an episode of the IT crowd. But turning off the car then on actually worked. The same could not be said for the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgonzalez
I had an issue earlier this week where I couldn't connect either via USB or Bluetooth. Kept trying to make it work all morning. The simply would not recognize that there was a phone to connect to. When I got in my car after work, Bluetooth and usb worked fine.

Anybody ever had an issue like that? I once had it happen in a Ford Flex but all I did was turn the car off then back on. Sounds like an episode of the IT crowd. But turning off the car then on actually worked. The same could not be said for the BMW.
Yes. I have noticed this twice on my 2015 f02.

Essentially, Bluetooth device (iPhone) won't connect.

I rebooted and killed all apps on the iPhone---all to no avail.

Now, there is a way to reset the com while driving: hit your SOS and then tell the response center you're testing the system and you want to know your location.

The action effectively resets all comm after disconnect too but, the iPhone was still hosed.

Next, the old way to reset idrive no longer works. You used to be able to hold in the volume knob for 30 seconds and then idrive would reboot----even while driving.

Now, the closest I can come to forcing a reboot:

1. Hold idrive knob in for 30 seconds.
2. Turn off car.
3. Exit and lock
4. Wait 10 minutes.

When you unlock the car, you will see the BMW logo on idrive---this means a reboot. Normally, this clears the trouble and Bluetooth will start working.

If someone knows a better way to reboot idrive, please post it here.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Mine does the same thing. The car and phone initially paired OK and it worked for a week or so, but it then stopped working. The IDrive still showed the phone on the device menu, but the two wouldn't pair up. I cleared the IDrive devices and re-paired them, and it worked again for a week or so, then the same thing happened. I haven't bothered to go through the procedure again, as I never use the phone in the car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Check to see if any updates are available?

I was able to stream music from my iPhone to car then performed an update and now no sound comes out. It's paired and the phone shows it's playing on BMW xxxx but can't hear anything. Everything worked fine before update.

I mention this to tell you that if there is an update available, it may fix your pairing issue but in turn may have issues streaming music.

Conclusion = we can't win.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
I did have the bluetooth disconnect like that once, but it was fine next time I started the car up.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
jdgonzalez
Master Bacon Eater
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
If someone knows a better way to reboot idrive, please post it here.
+1. I'd also like to know of a way to reboot idrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Halsifer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgonzalez View Post
+1. I'd also like to know of a way to reboot idrive.
So earlier in these vehicles, all it took to reboot iDrive was to hold down the power button for 30 seconds and it would do a full reset, and this was for both CIC and NBT.

Recently, due to software updates by dealers during services, the newer software no longer allows this. So the only options I'm aware of is:
  • If it works, hold the volume button down for 30 seconds. The screen should go black and reboot. That's it. If this does not work, your car has been updated to a point of not being able to do this, so try another option below.
  • Turn off vehicle, lock vehicle, wait ~10 minutes, get back in car, and it's restarted. That should give a full cycle.
  • Disconnect battery, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect battery. (If you disconnect both terminals and have no other power source connected to the vehicle, you can touch the terminals together to drain whatever power is left in the vehicle.)
  • If you are a coder, just FDL code the same CAFD to HU_NBT/HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY/HU_CHAMP.

If it's just bluetooth giving you trouble, go to your Bluetooth Connections, hit Options, and uncheck bluetooth and completely disable it, restart your phone and once it's booted up, reenable bluetooth in iDrive. Typically this has always worked for me, I haven't had to do a full iDrive restart otherwise.

I'll dig around and see if I can find another way. But this is all I'm aware of. If you are getting this problem consistently, bring it to the dealership while it's not working. It should not happen often to the point where rebooting becomes a habit.
2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
jdgonzalez
Master Bacon Eater
United_States
Rep

I also add that the rear camera also stops working when this happens too. I can't seem to duplicate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
zpepperc
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:
I also add that the rear camera also stops working when this happens too. I can't seem to duplicate it.

This happened to me the other day, brought it to BMW and they "couldn't replicate it." Was anyone able to get service to do anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
AVL_F30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XDrive

Had this happen to my car today, but it is accompanied by an intermittent clicking sound from behind the dash (radio/nav area.)

I have tried resetting, unplugged the battery, etc. Any other thoughts here?
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #11
kschaff83
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Sorry to freshen this post. But this is happening to me and my F15. What ended up being the solution ?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #12
switchman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540i '15 X5 '03 530i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35i  [0.00]
2018 MW 540i  [0.00]
FWIW, I've been having BT/idrive issues lately (disconnect, no audio, can't reconnect etc) and starting to suspect battery going bad. Found thread about new software update UPD05081. Updated both my 3er and x5, been 4 days now no issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #13
kschaff83
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman View Post
FWIW, I've been having BT/idrive issues lately (disconnect, no audio, can't reconnect etc) and starting to suspect battery going bad. Found thread about new software update UPD05081. Updated both my 3er and x5, been 4 days now no issue.
same. went to BMW here in town they have no clue started a few days ago also.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #14
delorean175
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport, 1982 E28 528e

I was having this issue, I'll post what I think caused it and what fixed it. I tried out the DVD player, It was the only thing out of the ordinary I did since buying the car a while ago. I think iDrive somehow got stuck in DVD mode or something. After the DVD my BT stopped working for music. After running through the usual steps to fix it (ie. restarting car, restarting iDrive, remove neg battery terminal, delete and re add phone) I had no luck. When I pushed the Media button I would get a screen that said "Now Playing" "Unknown Album" "Unknown Artist". The usual options to select CD/DVD, Music collection, External Devices, Tone, and Bluetooth were gone. It would take me right to the Now playing screen. So I couldn't select my phone.

What Fixed it: I decided to try some other forms of media to see what happens. I inserted a CD and it played fine, after ejecting it I noticed the options in the Media menu came back. I went to external devices, selected my phone and everything was back to normal. I now have bluetooth audio again. I hope this helps someone else down the line.

To prevent this from happening again maybe keep a CD in the car?? Or keep one around the house. I don't know if other forms of audio would fix it, for example using the Aux port. I think inserting a CD forces it to change modes or something. No Idea, either way it's something to try if you're having no luck.

Last edited by delorean175; 11-08-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #15
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Have anyone of you seen an issue where the USB in the middle console stopped working and the BLUETOOTH just sits on the loading screen saying " please wait"?

My 335 has this issue and I have done everything possible to get information or try and fix it. My local bmw was no help either.

If I open Bluetooth it just says please wait. As if it's trying to connect and can not. I checked fuses, battery is new, re set I drive many times. Have not dine update on software but can not because the USB doesn't work.

Any info would be awesome
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
Pedro Marques
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 M Sport F30

I have the same problem. Does not play DVD, GPS Navigator, USB and Bluetooth. I tried to upgrade but the option is inactive.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
Ssea
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
Have anyone of you seen an issue where the USB in the middle console stopped working and the BLUETOOTH just sits on the loading screen saying " please wait"?

My 335 has this issue and I have done everything possible to get information or try and fix it. My local bmw was no help either.

If I open Bluetooth it just says please wait. As if it's trying to connect and can not. I checked fuses, battery is new, re set I drive many times. Have not dine update on software but can not because the USB doesn't work.

I just bought a 2011 bmw 328i with i drive & I'm having the same exact problem and can't seem to find the solution anywhere online at all. Have you figured it out? please keep updated if u can
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssea View Post
Quote:

I just bought a 2011 bmw 328i with i drive & I'm having the same exact problem and can't seem to find the solution anywhere online at all. Have you figured it out? please keep updated if u can
Hey man, no I have not. Today when I get home I am going to check all the " MOST" connectors in the car to see if they're lit up which if you don't know what that is with our car if one connection is bad it cancels the rest. Like a fiber optic signal. If I can't figure it out there's a local shop that specializes in bmw that I am going to try. I know if I go to bmw they will just tell me I need a new unit because there lazy and just want the money. I will fill you in and make a YouTube video because I have seen so many people with the same problem it's crazy
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
Ssea
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey man, no I have not. Today when I get home I am going to check all the " MOST" connectors in the car to see if they're lit up which if you don't know what that is with our car if one connection is bad it cancels the rest. Like a fiber optic signal. If I can't figure it out there's a local shop that specializes in bmw that I am going to try. I know if I go to bmw they will just tell me I need a new unit because there lazy and just want the money. I will fill you in and make a YouTube video because I have seen so many people with the same problem it's crazy
Thankyou man! It would be very much appreciated! & if I happen to somehow figure it out myself I'll let you know asap!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #20
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thankyou man! It would be very much appreciated! & if I happen to somehow figure it out myself I'll let you know asap!
Sounds good. I just checked in the trunk I have a combox and if I pull the black plug on the right side it's lit in red. In the trunk too the left if you pull up the plastic consortmejt there's a plug that goes into the amp and when I pull the combox out that plug isn't lit which tells me it's not working
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4481.50
      12-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #21
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Marques View Post
I have the same problem. Does not play DVD, GPS Navigator, USB and Bluetooth. I tried to upgrade but the option is inactive.
Did you ever fix yours?
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good. I just checked in the trunk I have a combox and if I pull the black plug on the right side it's lit in red. In the trunk too the left if you pull up the plastic consortmejt there's a plug that goes into the amp and when I pull the combox out that plug isn't lit which tells me it's not working
That's how you intelligently troubleshoot the situation.
Appreciate 0