F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2013 328xi undriveable after adding fuel injector cleaner
Extreme Powerhouse

09-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Radioaktivitat
Newbie to BMWs
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Xdrive N20

2013 328xi undriveable after adding fuel injector cleaner

Hello all,

First time here so don't hesitate to tell me if there's anything.

Now, I have a 2013 328xi with the n20 engine that I bought in may. The timing chain was replaced by the Nissan dealership that sold me the car under legal warranty as it happened within a month of me having the car.

The car also had a check engine light saying that both oxygen sensors were faulty (fuel mix too rich) According to our agreement upon replacing the chain themselves, they were paying for a complete inspection by a BMW dealer. The nearest one is 200 kms from me. When I got the inspection, a couple of things were wrong but nothing major except for the sensors.

I was told that there would have to be further investigation for that specific problem as the tech had already spent 3 hours on it for the inspection and it was 1630 hrs so they were closing soon.

The service advisor did tell me that the injectors were probably clogged from is experience and the symptoms the car was having: rough idle, smell of gas, had stalled once at a red light at the time.

The inspection was end of July. The car was getting rougher and rougher and I was supposed to get it service in 2 weeks.

Now to the problem.

As the car was getting rough and according to the advisor the injectors were probably the issue, I added fuel injector cleaner when filling up.

It got MUCH MUCH WORSE. I drove home and the car was running a little rougher but I figured it was probably just doing its job (stalled twice). When I went to drive it the next day, it was extremely rough. It was almost unable to accelerate and was "kicking"? as I drove. It was horrible. Now, you can't drive it more than a couple hundred meters. The car stalls every couple seconds.

What did I do wrong? Anything I can do?

Thank you very much to anyone that will take the time to reply.

TLDR: added fuel injector cleaner, car is now an angry cow.

NOTE: Reposting to a different section
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Which injector cleaner did you pour in? I think its the plugs or packs or else something much worse. Did he read any codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

If this is the first time cleaner has been used, it could have moved deposits from places upstream of the fuel filter and clogged the filter. The engine would starve for fuel then.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Radioaktivitat
Newbie to BMWs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
If this is the first time cleaner has been used, it could have moved deposits from places upstream of the fuel filter and clogged the filter. The engine would starve for fuel then.
I believe it has. Would changing the fuel filter help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Which injector cleaner did you pour in? I think its the plugs or packs or else something much worse. Did he read any codes?
The only code it's giving out is the oxygen sensors. As for cleaner, I don't have the box ATM and I'd have to look for the receipt in our other car as I save them all for tax purposes. I chose a "high quality" one at canadian tire for around 30$ which was close to being the most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Were the oxygen sensors replaced? How much fuel was in the tank when you added the cleaner? Maybe the concentration is too high and sensors are trying to compensate with bad results.

I agree that codes need to be read. But you might also try adding several gallons of fresh gasoline in the car (100% gas if you can get it).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
Radioaktivitat
Newbie to BMWs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
Were the oxygen sensors replaced? How much fuel was in the tank when you added the cleaner? Maybe the concentration is too high and sensors are trying to compensate with bad results.

I agree that codes need to be read. But you might also try adding several gallons of fresh gasoline in the car (100% gas if you can get it).
No, they haven't been replaced yet as they are the reasons why I added the cleaner.

I added the cleaner during a fill up so it was on a full tank of gas ie. 60 litres or so?

The concentration may be too high indeed. Thing is, I can't add more fuel as I can't burn what's in the tank because the car keeps stalling. It's still around 7/8 of the way full.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I would only put PEA in as injector cleaner. Looks like you have a handful of problems on this lemon. First get the O2 sensors replaced and then work from there since bad sensors could be causing incorrect injector function.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
Radioaktivitat
Newbie to BMWs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I would only put PEA in as injector cleaner. Looks like you have a handful of problems on this lemon. First get the O2 sensors replaced and then work from there since bad sensors could be causing incorrect injector function.
It was PEA. I'll see what happens with it and if it ends in a lawsuit. Either way, they've been really helpful and willing to repair the car even tho they are clearly far into the negatives in this sale. I'll keep working with them for some time and if it comes to it I'll just get my money back and buy another one even though I love the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Radioaktivitat
Newbie to BMWs
Canada
Rep

Alright so,

The dealer spent a couple days on it and found the problem. The injectors were indeed clogged but that wasn't causing the big issue. There was a short in the cables of the upper oxygen sensor.

The cleaner actually did help.

Hope it helps someone else at some point.

🙂
Appreciate 5