F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help me decide (subframe and diff mounts)
GetBMWParts

03-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

I did some googling and saw limited review on some things, long story short, 2014 335i 71k miles.

Background was a track prepped e36 I daily drove for awhile, solid subframe, poly diff mounts, poly engines and trans mounts, loved how insanely solid and connected that car felt; obviously the f30 is nowhere near that. Now the debate...

St-xa coilovers in bound, poly trans mounts in bound (70a) to start. Debating vtt engine mount inserts, anyway, I want to tighten up the subframe and diff, I don't care about NVH as I said above, the e36 was driven daily for years. Debating powerflex black inserts to make my life easy, or should I drop the subframe and do solid subframe, 95a diff mounts and be one and done.

The car won't see much if any track time in the near future, just really want to keep this a high power street build that doesn't feel like a Buick on the road. Make sense? Obviously inserts aren't going to be anything like a full bushing replacement, especially with something like aluminum or poly, but black inserts may be enough to take the slop out to my liking. My other plans are a diff lock down plate so maybe diff bushings aren't as critical for stability, opinions are encouraged.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I can't comment on the diff bushings or lockdown plate, but I do have the solid subframe mounts from bimmerworld.

Definitely removes a lot of rear-end slop, but with almost no NVH increase. Very expensive to have done by a shop though.

I've avoided the diff bushing upgrades and lockdown plate because I heard it will increase NVH quite a bit. However the lockdown shouldn't be quite as noisy as stiffer bushings, and it's pretty easy to install.

Edit: I think I just saw you in another thread talking about how you wouldn't mind more NVH - If that's the case, you should look into the diff bushing inserts. They would be pretty easy to install yourself!
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I can't comment on the diff bushings or lockdown plate, but I do have the solid subframe mounts from bimmerworld.

Definitely removes a lot of rear-end slop, but with almost no NVH increase. Very expensive to have done by a shop though.

I've avoided the diff bushing upgrades and lockdown plate because I heard it will increase NVH quite a bit. However the lockdown shouldn't be quite as noisy as stiffer bushings, and it's pretty easy to install.

Edit: I think I just saw you in another thread talking about how you wouldn't mind more NVH - If that's the case, you should look into the diff bushing inserts. They would be pretty easy to install yourself!
Thanks for the response!
Ya that was probably me haha, I'm heavily debating solid subframe mounts; it's just such a pain in the ass to do, wondering if I can get 75d poly mounts to fit with a mallet and effort, I don't want to strip the subframe down to press solid mounts in, I was hoping the inserts would improve a lot of the slop to hold me over, the debate... lol
I'm for sure going to atleast do inserts for the diff, with the lock down plate, at worst case, I would prefer bushings but really don't feel like inventing new words in the garage yet hahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-f22-2-series/

I used the aluminum versions of these in my e36, wondering if I could do a make shift threaded rod with large nuts and THICK washers to compress these into the subframe, I know these are as hard a bowling ball; but maybe do able
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #5
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

get poly, use heat gun from harbor freight and heat up around each factory bushing for a few minutes and then used a large socket and the weight of the car to press them out (if you've read any DIYs you'll know what I'm talking about).
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post

I used the aluminum versions of these in my e36, wondering if I could do a make shift threaded rod with large nuts and THICK washers to compress these into the subframe, I know these are as hard a bowling ball; but maybe do able
I was told by a pretty decent looking build to go solid on the subframe poly on the diff and trans and leave engine alone helps with power put to the wheels as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:

I was told by a pretty decent looking build to go solid on the subframe poly on the diff and trans and leave engine alone helps with power put to the wheels as well.
Thanks for the response; that's the idea for this car, a lot of e36 guys suggested that when I built mine and did the same; loved the set up, hoping this feels remotely similar
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the response; that's the idea for this car, a lot of e36 guys suggested that when I built mine and did the same; loved the set up, hoping this feels remotely similar
Yea I'm about to do it soon gotta find them all that work with x drive that's the struggle
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #9
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Changing out the subframe bushings will make the biggest difference in rear end slop cleaning. this is the one mod that surprised me the most...the response, the feel, the grip...its awesome. I went delrin and absolutely love it!! but I would def consider the AKGs for rear subframe. I rigged up a large gas pipe and cover with some threaded rod to remove the old ones...You can also burn them and then hammer them out.

The diff bushings are a different animal...i went with delrin units condor speed and while the product is good, the front diff bushings move easily which should not be the case. I am going to swap them out for powerflex race units because the front diff bushings are lipped front and rear so they can't move forward or backwards.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #10
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Changing out the subframe bushings will make the biggest difference in rear end slop cleaning. this is the one mod that surprised me the most...the response, the feel, the grip...its awesome. I went delrin and absolutely love it!! but I would def consider the AKGs for rear subframe. I rigged up a large gas pipe and cover with some threaded rod to remove the old ones...You can also burn them and then hammer them out.

The diff bushings are a different animal...i went with delrin units condor speed and while the product is good, the front diff bushings move easily which should not be the case. I am going to swap them out for powerflex race units because the front diff bushings are lipped front and rear so they can't move forward or backwards.
I'm excited, akg 75d will be the move for me then, a lot of e90 guys say they pop in pretty easily so I'm looking forward to that; but not getting my hopes up so ill be prepared, I haven't really been in the rear end of these cars, I'm the dude that just goes for it and gets it done, can the front diff bushings be removed with the diff still in the car?

I plan to just lower the rear subframe as a unit 8-12 inches or so, I haven't seen how they mount up, if they're doable without pulling the diff, I'm trying to avoid popping the axles out, so I'm in the air if I do full bushing or inserts, if bushing can be done without pulling axles, I'll go that route.
I got my burger rear diff brace coming, so that'll be a nice reinforcement to the unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #11
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This discussion inspired me to reach out to 034, which offers a lineup of mounts for the E series bimmers, but nothing for the F series yet...
Here's the response I got:

"We are currently developing a full line of products for the F30. This will likely be a rubber-based motor mount."

Appreciate 1
Logicoeur992.50
      03-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #12
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
This discussion inspired me to reach out to 034, which offers a lineup of mounts for the E series bimmers, but nothing for the F series yet...
Here's the response I got:

"We are currently developing a full line of products for the F30. This will likely be a rubber-based motor mount."

They had issues with e90 engine mounts tearing so I would be careful if they release
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #13
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
They had issues with e90 engine mounts tearing so I would be careful if they release
I would be choosing a transmission mount only, I probably wouldn't modify my engine mounts for a long time. Getting to them is a huge pain.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would be choosing a transmission mount only, I probably wouldn't modify my engine mounts for a long time. Getting to them is a huge pain.
Same, I went with Ecs 70a poly trans mounts, they'll be here next week

I think rogue mounts fit our chassis but don't know for sure, they're solid rubber
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #15
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm excited, akg 75d will be the move for me then, a lot of e90 guys say they pop in pretty easily so I'm looking forward to that; but not getting my hopes up so ill be prepared, I haven't really been in the rear end of these cars, I'm the dude that just goes for it and gets it done, can the front diff bushings be removed with the diff still in the car?

I plan to just lower the rear subframe as a unit 8-12 inches or so, I haven't seen how they mount up, if they're doable without pulling the diff, I'm trying to avoid popping the axles out, so I'm in the air if I do full bushing or inserts, if bushing can be done without pulling axles, I'll go that route.
I got my burger rear diff brace coming, so that'll be a nice reinforcement to the unit.
I removed the axle nutts so I had more wiggle room to move the diff around. You don't need alot of room to get the front diff bushings out. The axles stayed in the diff when i did it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I removed the axle nutts so I had more wiggle room to move the diff around. You don't need alot of room to get the front diff bushings out. The axles stayed in the diff when i did it.
You rock man, that's what I'll do then, very helpful I appreciate it
And good advice on the bushings with lips on them to prevent shifting, saves the frustration later
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #17
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
And good advice on the bushings with lips on them to prevent shifting, saves the frustration later
you're welcome. hopefully it saves you from some of the headaches i faced.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you're welcome. hopefully it saves you from some of the headaches i faced.
Got the 75d bushings
The 95a diff bushings are out of stock, this brings a new question; since I'm using the diff lock down plate from bms, it mounts the diff to the subframe very robustly, do you think just up grading the front diff bushings will be plenty? Debating this one; I was in the air about diff inserts for the front bushings, since the lock down; but may just replace the fronts with 95a and be done. The rear mount looks like hell, wonder if the rear mount can be removed with diff in car if I pull the cover...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:08 AM   #19
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The rear mount IS hell. Since you're doing the lockdown plate, I wouldn't bother. Do the fronts and the lockdown plate and you should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #20
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
The rear mount IS hell. Since you're doing the lockdown plate, I wouldn't bother. Do the fronts and the lockdown plate and you should be fine.
By design I think I'll be ok as well, haha, you think the rear is accessible if you remove the rear cover off the diff? Just for future if I end up needing to
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #21
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
By design I think I'll be ok as well, haha, you think the rear is accessible if you remove the rear cover off the diff? Just for future if I end up needing to
My shop said you basically have to remove the whole diff to do it easily :/
I had all the diff mounts replaced with OEM when I was trying to resolve my rear end vibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #22
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My shop said you basically have to remove the whole diff to do it easily :/
I had all the diff mounts replaced with OEM when I was trying to resolve my rear end vibration.
Ah damn, I'll order the full set and see when I dig in, this is gonna be a PITA no doubt lol
Appreciate 0