F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > RWD To RWD & AWD To AWD & RWD to AWD Debate
Studio RSR

04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

RWD To RWD & AWD To AWD & RWD to AWD Debate

How many out there coming from RWD BM going to AWD or staying RWD,and also coming from AWD to AWD , I think I have a good idea what drives people to the AWD, I nearly did it, let the debate start
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40d

I have been an Audi A6 quattro driver 3 times, BMW X5 before that although most recent vehicle was a RWD Jaguar XF, but I missed the secure, solid feeling that came with AWD.

To be honest I thought I'd enjoy RWD more, but found myself unable to use the power as well as in the previous Audis.

Of course, it probably helps if your right foot isn't made of Osmium (heavier than Lead!) and lack mechanical sympathy!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper View Post
I have been an Audi A6 quattro driver 3 times, BMW X5 before that although most recent vehicle was a RWD Jaguar XF, but I missed the secure, solid feeling that came with AWD.

To be honest I thought I'd enjoy RWD more, but found myself unable to use the power as well as in the previous Audis.

Of course, it probably helps if your right foot isn't made of Osmium (heavier than Lead!) and lack mechanical sympathy!
Interesting was it comfort reasons you went to jag from X5 have driven the XF I though it drove very well but something was just missing for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I'd be going from an A3 Quattro to an F31 s-drive.

I actually cursed BMW for not bringing x-drive non suv's to the uk a few years ago as I thought it was the thing that would keep me mobile in the snow.

After having an awd without and then with the black rubber stuff suited to the cold weather ten having them on my e61 as well I realised I just don't need awd at all for my daily life.

And almost having crahed twice with summers on awd I'd rather stay off the roads than use tyres that aren't appropriate to stop in the conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Interesting was it comfort reasons you went to jag from X5 have driven the XF I though it drove very well but something was just missing for me.
No it was X5 > A6 > A6 > A6 > XF > 330d (soooon!)

I moved away from the X5 because it was a 4.4i V8 and was killing me at the pumps ... that, and the Jeremy Clarkson that said "balck X5 with black interior = South London Drug Dealer". Not my image at all!

As for the XF, I loved it, but it wasn't overly happy on the roads I drive every day - small lanes, B roads, etc - but was great on fst flowing A roads and motorways.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
No it was X5 > A6 > A6 > A6 > XF > 330d (soooon!)

I moved away from the X5 because it was a 4.4i V8 and was killing me at the pumps ... that, and the Jeremy Clarkson that said "balck X5 with black interior = South London Drug Dealer". Not my image at all!

As for the XF, I loved it, but it wasn't overly happy on the roads I drive every day - small lanes, B roads, etc - but was great on fst flowing A roads and motorways.
Hope the 3 works for you. But from your history perhaps the refinement of the 5 may have been nicer...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I've been back and forth from car to car. Since '98:

RWD-FWD-FWD-RWD-FWD-AWD-FWD-FWD-AWD and soon back to RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Hope the 3 works for you. But from your history perhaps the refinement of the 5 may have been nicer...
Possibly and it is something I debated long and hard, believe me! But, when it all came down to it, the 5 would have been more expensive (+£10k in a comparably specified 3), rightly or wrongly I wanted AWD which isn't available on a 5, the 5 is being facelifted at the end of the year so I would have preferred to wait for that and I was also finding that that XF just felt too big ... always wanted it to be a couple of inches shorter / narrower.

So the 3 is a good compromise of size, comfort, agility and price.

Besides, after I sold the XF I've been driving my wife's Seat Leon Ecomotive (Eco-slow-tive!) or a Ford Focus Eco-something rental ... the 330d will be mindblowingly fast and refined after either of those!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Possibly and it is something I debated long and hard, believe me! But, when it all came down to it, the 5 would have been more expensive (+£10k in a comparably specified 3), rightly or wrongly I wanted AWD which isn't available on a 5, the 5 is being facelifted at the end of the year so I would have preferred to wait for that and I was also finding that that XF just felt too big ... always wanted it to be a couple of inches shorter / narrower.

So the 3 is a good compromise of size, comfort, agility and price.

Besides, after I sold the XF I've been driving my wife's Seat Leon Ecomotive (Eco-slow-tive!) or a Ford Focus Eco-something rental ... the 330d will be mindblowingly fast and refined after either of those!!
And quicker than that Jag also.
      04-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
And quicker than that Jag also.
Oh yes!! Autocar tests reckoned Jag's 0-60 times were out by about 1 second, so even the 271bhp diesel "S" was in the high 6.something seconds, whereas the BMW was pretty much spot on BMW's claimed time.

I also think the smaller size & weight of the 330d makes the power more useable ... the Jag is a big old beasty to throw around the lanes, whereas the 330d felt much more nimble.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Oh yes!! Autocar tests reckoned Jag's 0-60 times were out by about 1 second, so even the 271bhp diesel "S" was in the high 6.something seconds, whereas the BMW was pretty much spot on BMW's claimed time.

I also think the smaller size & weight of the 330d makes the power more useable ... the Jag is a big old beasty to throw around the lanes, whereas the 330d felt much more nimble.
I've timed my 330D at 5.3 seconds. Still launched a little hard and got some wheelspin, so believe it could be bettered. xDrive should give a very consistant 0-60 time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
How many out there coming from RWD BM going to AWD or staying RWD,and also coming from AWD to AWD , I think I have a good idea what drives people to the AWD, I nearly did it, let the debate start
Historically I've had all options. About 5 years ago I made a conscious decision to avoid FWD, so won't be driving those ever again
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

There's even a vid on YouTube of someone demonstrating this acceleration, isn't there Nisfan!
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Jobbo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 545i sold; F30 330d due May

I've had two 4wd cars in the past - an Impreza Turbo and an Audi S6; if I were buying an Audi now I'd go for Quattro to avoid front wheel drive, but I see absolutely no point on a BMW. I've gone E34-E39-E61, all V8s, and never had a problem with them being unpredictable.

Winter tyres are a different matter. My Impreza might have got moving in snow but couldn't brake or corner nearly as well as a diesel Clio; tyres make all the difference. 4wd without winter tyres gives a false sense of security.
Appreciate 0