F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Anyone using the HTC M8 w/ IDrive
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
21
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2014 x1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New jersey

iTrader: (0)

Anyone using the HTC M8 w/ IDrive

Need to get a new Android phone (cracked screen - sigh) Won't have my 428I x till next week, any experience with the HTC M8, this is the phone I would like to get. Anyone have and use the HTC M8 and can you confirm the functionality with the Idrive that has the extended apps, etc.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
bcl0328
Major
77
Rep
1,185
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

i have the M7 and i just use it to stream music from google play. i don't think the extended apps work, or anything else for that matter.

there really isn't much integration yet for android phones. it's most apple stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
338
Rep
993
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Geneva

iTrader: (0)

I have the M8, but I seldom use it with Connected Drive.

For one, I haven't found the adaptor to just "plug it in" like I would an IPhone, so I have to use a cable plugged in the USB port next to it.

Second, as the previous poster mentioned, there are few apps available. For instance, mine, only shows Facebook & Twitter available - none of which I would use while in the vehicle.

To slap us "Androids" even more, the coolest apps aren't available on android. The Lap Timer and the upcoming GoPro app come to mind.

However the Bluetooth integration works perfectly.
- i'm streaming music and I never had issues with it. The song names appear correctly and you can do "next/prev" via the steering wheel buttons
- office integration also seems to work. I see an email icon whenever I get any messages and can read them in IDrive if I like (again something that I don't really find useful in the car)
- phone/calls and address book all work as well

Hope this helps...
__________________
2018 BMW M4 (F82) DCT / ZCP| 450HP / 550Nm with CF drive shaft | Sakhir Orange | Photo album
Sold 2014 BMW 435d xDrive Coupe MSport Stage 1 | 360HP / 710Nm | Estoril Blue | Photo album
Sold 2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD | 304 HP / 440Nm | Ember Black | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tim@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
136
Rep
613
Posts


Drives: 2018 BMW 440ix Gran Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I have the M8, but I'm having Bluetooth connection issues even after re-pairing the phone.

It'll stay connected until I receive a call, then it'll disconnect after a minute or two and reconnect after 30 seconds. This kind of pissed me off. But I've googled it and it seems that it is a common issue unfortunately...
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 | Vancouver, CA: +1(778)779-5708 (SMS and VM) | Toronto and Rest of Canada: +1(647)849-1003 (9:00am - 7:00pm EST) info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
338
Rep
993
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Geneva

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
I have the M8, but I'm having Bluetooth connection issues even after re-pairing the phone.

It'll stay connected until I receive a call, then it'll disconnect after a minute or two and reconnect after 30 seconds. This kind of pissed me off. But I've googled it and it seems that it is a common issue unfortunately...
Have you tried another firmware?
I'm currently running ARHD on my M8 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2694917) and never had a single bluetooth related issue...
__________________
2018 BMW M4 (F82) DCT / ZCP| 450HP / 550Nm with CF drive shaft | Sakhir Orange | Photo album
Sold 2014 BMW 435d xDrive Coupe MSport Stage 1 | 360HP / 710Nm | Estoril Blue | Photo album
Sold 2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD | 304 HP / 440Nm | Ember Black | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
exclusivo's Avatar
91
Rep
1,859
Posts

Drives: race car
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: queens, ny

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
I have the M8, but I seldom use it with Connected Drive.

For one, I haven't found the adaptor to just "plug it in" like I would an IPhone, so I have to use a cable plugged in the USB port next to it.

Second, as the previous poster mentioned, there are few apps available. For instance, mine, only shows Facebook & Twitter available - none of which I would use while in the vehicle.

To slap us "Androids" even more, the coolest apps aren't available on android. The Lap Timer and the upcoming GoPro app come to mind.

However the Bluetooth integration works perfectly.
- i'm streaming music and I never had issues with it. The song names appear correctly and you can do "next/prev" via the steering wheel buttons
- office integration also seems to work. I see an email icon whenever I get any messages and can read them in IDrive if I like (again something that I don't really find useful in the car)
- phone/calls and address book all work as well

Hope this helps...
For emails, Do you use the "email" app or the Gmail app? I use Gmail but have not been able to see/sync the inbox from my Galaxy S3
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
338
Rep
993
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Geneva

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
For emails, Do you use the "email" app or the Gmail app? I use Gmail but have not been able to see/sync the inbox from my Galaxy S3
I'm using the 'Mail' app...
__________________
2018 BMW M4 (F82) DCT / ZCP| 450HP / 550Nm with CF drive shaft | Sakhir Orange | Photo album
Sold 2014 BMW 435d xDrive Coupe MSport Stage 1 | 360HP / 710Nm | Estoril Blue | Photo album
Sold 2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD | 304 HP / 440Nm | Ember Black | Photo album
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST