F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil Filter Leak/Serpentine Belt Replacement
ARMA SPEED

10-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
trentr98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive Sport

Oil Filter Leak/Serpentine Belt Replacement

Hey everyone, hoping I can get some basic guidance on an oil leak I've got. About 5k miles ago I had my oil changed by Valvoline (I know, my first mistake). Today, while looking under the hood, I noticed that the filter is leaking from the top (circled in the picture). Should changing the filter (and oil while I'm at it) solve the issue, or could there be an underlying issue?

Also, the oil has leaked onto the serpentine belt, so I'm going to go ahead and change that. I see a lot of kits come with a tensioner as well, so is it necessary to change that too? Going off that, there's some surface rust on one of the pulleys (second picture). Is this something to worry about? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm at 80k miles just about
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I can pretty much guarantee you that the Valvoline numbskulls used an el-cheapo filter that came with an equally el-cheapo O-ring and that's the source of the leak. Replace it with a Mahle or Mann filter, which come with the correct O-ring, and that should fix it. That oil on the outside of the belt shouldn't bother it. At 80k it's probably due, though. You might as well go with the full kit. That rust won't bother anything.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
trentr98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you that the Valvoline numbskulls used an el-cheapo filter that came with an equally el-cheapo O-ring and that's the source of the leak. Replace it with a Mahle or Mann filter, which come with the correct O-ring, and that should fix it. That oil on the outside of the belt shouldn't bother it. At 80k it's probably due, though. You might as well go with the full kit. That rust won't bother anything.
You're probably right, thanks for the advice. Just ordered all oil change and serpentine belt supplies off FCP Euro
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
canman111
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i RWD

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
And make sure you torque the cap to spec.
Appreciate 1