F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 Wifi Agent DIY Alternate Method
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #23
Zadikiel
Norway
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselg5 View Post
Can you describe what happened after you paste step three into the terminal? Is it connected to the internet? Can you take a picture?
So what I did detailed:
1. Download buster lite and flashed it to the SD card with Etcher.
2. Installed the SD card in my PI, connected my PI to monitor, keyboard and ehternet.
3. Powered it up. Does some reboots the first time.
4. Logged in.
5. typed the wget link in the command window.
6. runs a process and everything looks to be good. I am left with the command input. No info about bootmod3 or anything what so ever.

I will take a picture later and show you. I have traveled on a business trip and wont be back for 2 weeks.

Currently I am wondering about using my microsoft surface go instead for flashing and logging. Just need a ethernet adapter and a nice mount. I will certainly not be buying the wifi agent from PTF for 400USD + taxes.(guessing its just a overpriced raspberry)
Just wanted to try my raspberry pi 3 b+ since I had one.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #24
dieselg5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadikiel View Post
So what I did detailed:
1. Download buster lite and flashed it to the SD card with Etcher.
2. Installed the SD card in my PI, connected my PI to monitor, keyboard and ehternet.
3. Powered it up. Does some reboots the first time.
4. Logged in.
5. typed the wget link in the command window.
6. runs a process and everything looks to be good. I am left with the command input. No info about bootmod3 or anything what so ever.

I will take a picture later and show you. I have traveled on a business trip and wont be back for 2 weeks.

Currently I am wondering about using my microsoft surface go instead for flashing and logging. Just need a ethernet adapter and a nice mount. I will certainly not be buying the wifi agent from PTF for 400USD + taxes.(guessing its just a overpriced raspberry)
Just wanted to try my raspberry pi 3 b+ since I had one.
If the script ran successfully, you should be able to test it in your house as long as your phone and your raspberry pi are connected to the same network. Open the BM3 app on your phone and see if it can detect the agent. Then you can try it with tether it to your phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #25
Zadikiel
Norway
Rep

Quote:
If the script ran successfully, you should be able to test it in your house as long as your phone and your raspberry pi are connected to the same network. Open the BM3 app on your phone and see if it can detect the agent. Then you can try it with tether it to your phone.
Yeah I have tried both. I dont know if there is something going wrong during the script. In the end I don’t see any info about bootmod3 in the script.
I will try again when I get home from my business trip and take some pictures during the script.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #26
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have tried both. I dont know if there is something going wrong during the script. In the end I don’t see any info about bootmod3 in the script.
I will try again when I get home from my business trip and take some pictures during the script.
Thanks
There’s nothing about BM3 that will be displayed on the screen as the agent runs in the background. You can check the status of the agent by typing “tail -f bm3_cron.log” without the quotes in the command line after the pi boots. This will be a live feed so you should see it change as the agent starts and attempts to detect a vehicle. It will take up to 3 minutes for the agent to start. To quit press ctrl + c.
Appreciate 2
Joe2402923.50
      08-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #27
Zadikiel
Norway
Rep

Quote:
There’s nothing about BM3 that will be displayed on the screen as the agent runs in the background. You can check the status of the agent by typing “tail -f bm3_cron.log” without the quotes in the command line after the pi boots. This will be a live feed so you should see it change as the agent starts and attempts to detect a vehicle. It will take up to 3 minutes for the agent to start. To quit press ctrl + c.
Ok. I thought it would be some indication after step 3. Also my raspberry reboots by itself during step 3 and I am left with the login.

Thanks, I will try to do that.
Nice to know I can test that the wifi agent connects to my phone without being connected to the car.
So it takes 3 minutes before the wifi agent in the raspberry connects to my phone? Cant say i have waited that long.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #28
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
So it takes 3 minutes before the wifi agent in the raspberry connects to my phone? Cant say i have waited that long.
No, it takes up to that long for the agent to start. The agent and the connection to your iPhone are separate and independent.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #29
C.neveux
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MSport

Attempted this on my pi zero to no avail, gave the 3b a shot and still no bootmod3 info on terminal? Is this still working correctly?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #30
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.neveux View Post
Attempted this on my pi zero to no avail, gave the 3b a shot and still no bootmod3 info on terminal? Is this still working correctly?
Can you give me some more info? What happened after you ran the script?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #31
amburt05
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Can you give me some more info? What happened after you ran the script?
Not sure what issue he is having but I just did this and what I noticed was I had to install openjdk-8-jdk instead of oracle-java8-jdk that the install.sh script was trying to install. One thing to note, was I was also using the Raspian Buster Lite image. I also configured the pi to not prompt for a password on boot, which I'm not sure was a requirement.

Other than that everything worked great! Pretty sweet for a working bootmod3 wifi agent for <$50.

I also don't have the ability on my mobile plan to create a hotspot on my phone, so I got a micro usb router to create the bootmod3 network. It doesn't have internet access, but has worked great for logging and viewing the dashboard. Haven't tried flashing already downloaded tunes, but I don't think that would work.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #32
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amburt05 View Post
Not sure what issue he is having but I just did this and what I noticed was I had to install openjdk-8-jdk instead of oracle-java8-jdk that the install.sh script was trying to install. One thing to note, was I was also using the Raspian Buster Lite image. I also configured the pi to not prompt for a password on boot, which I'm not sure was a requirement.

Other than that everything worked great! Pretty sweet for a working bootmod3 wifi agent for <$50.

I also don't have the ability on my mobile plan to create a hotspot on my phone, so I got a micro usb router to create the bootmod3 network. It doesn't have internet access, but has worked great for logging and viewing the dashboard. Haven't tried flashing already downloaded tunes, but I don't think that would work.
Why did you have to install openjdk-8-jdk instead of oracle-java8-jdk? Did oracle-jave8-jdk install successfully with the script?

As far as flashing goes, you should be able to flash a tune if it's downloaded to your raspberry pi. However, in order to do that, you'd need to have your car connected to your pi and have internet access to download the tune. Then you can flash offline.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      09-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #33
amburt05
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Why did you have to install openjdk-8-jdk instead of oracle-java8-jdk? Did oracle-jave8-jdk install successfully with the script?

As far as flashing goes, you should be able to flash a tune if it's downloaded to your raspberry pi. However, in order to do that, you'd need to have your car connected to your pi and have internet access to download the tune. Then you can flash offline.
Well I looked at the log file "bm3_cron.log" and was getting an error saying something along the lines of "java doesn't exist" so I tried installing it the same way the script does and apt-get couldn't find the package to download. So after some googling maybe java changed their licensing and you maybe need to use the openjdk version?

Good to know as far as flashing goes, I'll make sure to download the needed tunes if I go ethenol and need to flash at the pump.

Thanks for making this thread btw, I ran into issues/(it just not working) before and was able to figure things out via the info you provided.

Last edited by amburt05; 09-21-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #34
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amburt05 View Post
Well I looked at the log file "bm3_cron.log" and was getting an error saying something along the lines of "java doesn't exist" so I tried installing it the same way the script does and apt-get couldn't find the package to download. So after some googling maybe java changed their licensing and you maybe need to use the openjdk version?

Good to know as far as flashing goes, I'll make sure to download the needed tunes if I go ethenol and need to flash at the pump.

Thanks for making this thread btw, I ran into issues/(it just not working) before and was able to figure things out via the info you provided.
Thanks for the tip about java and the new buster image. I have updated the script and the OP to reflect the update.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      09-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #35
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.neveux View Post
Try it now with the updated script.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #36
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I thought it would be some indication after step 3. Also my raspberry reboots by itself during step 3 and I am left with the login.

Thanks, I will try to do that.
Nice to know I can test that the wifi agent connects to my phone without being connected to the car.
Try it now with the updated script.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #37
surendrant
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Hi there. Thanks for the awesome work getting this working. I was wondering if you could help me out. So I've installed the script on a RPi3 B+. Looked like everything installed okay and the unit reboot itself. However the obd agent is not detecting. I've set my ssid and pass to "boodmod3". I tried to type the script "tail -r bm3_cron.log" but I'm getting "Error: unable to access jarfile agentrunner.jar". I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to this computer programming stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #38
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surendrant View Post
Hi there. Thanks for the awesome work getting this working. I was wondering if you could help me out. So I've installed the script on a RPi3 B+. Looked like everything installed okay and the unit reboot itself. However the obd agent is not detecting. I've set my ssid and pass to "boodmod3". I tried to type the script "tail -r bm3_cron.log" but I'm getting "Error: unable to access jarfile agentrunner.jar". I'm kind of a beginner when it comes to this computer programming stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Something must have gone wrong with your installation. Try running the script again. Make sure your raspberry pi is connected to the internet while you're running the script.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #39
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Something must have gone wrong with your installation. Try running the script again. Make sure your raspberry pi is connected to the internet while you're running the script.
Actually try this so we can log what's going on during the installation process (enter it without the quotes):

"wget -q -O - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fqj6zdsgfsr0sm/installer-buster.sh | bash | tee -a install_log.txt"

Last edited by dieselg5; 11-22-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      11-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #40
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I just did the same thing with a gen 1 Pi I had laying around and it works fine when I usb tether. When I try to wifi tether though it will connect for a second then disconnect. Have you seen this issue or does wifi tether work for you?
There is a bug with the wifi agent if you are using an iPhone. On the phone you have to go into settings then personal hotspot then click on the password and it should connect.

Also the Gen 1 PI doesn’t have a wireless NiC in it? You’d have to install one to get the any wifi service.

Last edited by GreenF30N26; 11-13-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #41
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

I can't get it to connect to my wifi network.
ssid and password are set to bootmod3.
Using a raspberry pi 3b+
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #42
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeing View Post
I can't get it to connect to my wifi network.
ssid and password are set to bootmod3.
Using a raspberry pi 3b+
Did you do the steps exactly as outlined in this post? If you followed the normal method of loading BM3 agent software the 3B+ model doesn’t work. Try again from the start of this thread and it should work on your model.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #43
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I just did the same thing with a gen 1 Pi I had laying around and it works fine when I usb tether. When I try to wifi tether though it will connect for a second then disconnect. Have you seen this issue or does wifi tether work for you?
There is a bug with the wifi agent if you are using an iPhone. On the phone you have to go into settings then personal hotspot then click on the password and it should connect.

Also the Gen 1 PI doesn’t have a wireless NiC in it? You’d have to install one to get the any wifi service.
Ya I have a USB WiFi NIC. The pi connects to the hotspot but it seems like when I open up the BM app it drops the WiFi connection.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #44
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green33 View Post
Did you do the steps exactly as outlined in this post? If you followed the normal method of loading BM3 agent software the 3B+ model doesn’t work. Try again from the start of this thread and it should work on your model.
Yes I followed this thread to the T.
It works using USB tethering, but it won't connect to my hotspot.
Appreciate 0