F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Discoloured roof gutter trims on my F33...
Studio RSR

08-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Discoloured roof gutter trims on my F33...

Good evening all.

I picked up my new to me F33 440i last Saturday and I have noticed that the roof gutter trims (is this the correct term?!) are discoloured.

I rubbed the area to to the right with my finger (very technical!) and it seemed to reduce the discolouration sightly, but is there something I can use to get rid of this or is it new trim time?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Try a simple polish, something like autoglym super resin polish. There are many other solutions, but that's readily available.

The question is why is it so bad. Do you wash the car yourself? If so what products?
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks - I'll give that a go - I've got a bottle of that which is good.

I've only owned the car since last Saturday so can only assume the previous owner used something that caused this.

It didn't seem that bad when I picked it up from the dealer - they probably used something horrific on it to make it look nice for me....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

It's probably been cleaned with an aggressive solution (TFR) traffic film remover. It's all fixable with the right polishes/tools but SRP is the easiest first option ion.

If it's a film type issue sitting on the top of the trim, the cleaners in SRP should remove it. If the trim feels as if it's etched then it'll need a different approach, like a mildly abrasive polish and elbow grease (or machine) to clean up.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Incidentally, do you have comfort access that allows you to open the roof from the key?

Mine doesn't, but I bought the SmartTOP box. Well worth looking at if you are looking for the functionality. Took 5 mins to programme and 5 to install. Great piece of kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the tip - it's made a massive difference. The trim isn't etched thankfully.

I will have a proper go when the weather improves as it's now chucking it down...

Can't quite believe it's August - want to get the roof down
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
Incidentally, do you have comfort access that allows you to open the roof from the key?

Mine doesn't, but I bought the SmartTOP box. Well worth looking at if you are looking for the functionality. Took 5 mins to programme and 5 to install. Great piece of kit.
Thanks for the advice - I don't have comfort access but I'm looking into the SmartTop module.

I've had them before in previous cars and they are a really good upgrade.

What I really want to do is to be able to set the mirrors to fold on locking but I don't think this is possible on an F33? Also would like to have a play with Bimmercode and set things such as the digital speedo (no HUD, sadly) but reading some threads on here has put me off as it looks like BMW are getting stroppy about this and mine is an AUC so don't want to risk the warranty....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustremembermylogin View Post
Thanks for the advice - I don't have comfort access but I'm looking into the SmartTop module.

I've had them before in previous cars and they are a really good upgrade.

What I really want to do is to be able to set the mirrors to fold on locking but I don't think this is possible on an F33? Also would like to have a play with Bimmercode and set things such as the digital speedo (no HUD, sadly) but reading some threads on here has put me off as it looks like BMW are getting stroppy about this and mine is an AUC so don't want to risk the warranty....
My F33 has comfort access and folding mirrors, can't remember if the folding is due to comfort access or just the folding mirrors themselves. Can you try holding the close button for over 4 seconds to see if yours fold, you have to be close to the car whilst pressing. I also have the SmartTop fitted and find it a
useful bit of kit.
Regarding coding I had several items coded from new with no problems but recently car had a head unit problem and had to go to dealers, I was concerned due to recent reports of stance of BMW dealers with coding and warranty so decided to revert back to standard. Car had full update to sort head unit fault nothing said regarding coding and covered with extended warranty, so nothing picked up by their computers regarding previous coding. Since then I have decided to leave as standard just incase I need any other warranty work
      08-03-2021, 01:28 AM   #9
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

I think the big issue BMW have with coding is when factory options, like CarPlay are added. This type of coding is more of a structural change to the system and is doing them out of revenue.
Something like folding mirrors on lock, digital speedo or doors lights on when reversing are just changed to options that already exist.

On my 335dx my dealer never had an issue with the coding (via BimmerCode) that I'd done. Even told me that after a software update one time I'd need to redo the boot closing from the remote and it was such a useful feature.

I'm going to try and get the mirrors to fold on the F33 but not holding out much hope from everything I've read
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #10
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

They will only fold if you have the option spec'd. Unless its different on the F33 you had to have either full electric seats or the folding mirror option on the F30/31.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:52 AM   #11
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
They will only fold if you have the option spec'd. Unless its different on the F33 you had to have either full electric seats or the folding mirror option on the F30/31.
The F33 seems to be different to the 30/31.
I've got full electric seats and mirrors, but the coding is different as selecting the options, like I have done previously on my F31 does not yield the same results.
There's talk of a change from 2015 for the cabrio that seems to be when people started to struggle to add folding mirrors on lock from the remote.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #12
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
My F33 has comfort access and folding mirrors, can't remember if the folding is due to comfort access or just the folding mirrors themselves. Can you try holding the close button for over 4 seconds to see if yours fold, you have to be close to the car whilst pressing. I also have the SmartTop fitted and find it a
useful bit of kit.
My car doesn't have comfort access but has folding mirrors. Just tried holding the lock button for over 4 seconds and no joy, sadly.

Quote:
Regarding coding I had several items coded from new with no problems but recently car had a head unit problem and had to go to dealers, I was concerned due to recent reports of stance of BMW dealers with coding and warranty so decided to revert back to standard. Car had full update to sort head unit fault nothing said regarding coding and covered with extended warranty, so nothing picked up by their computers regarding previous coding. Since then I have decided to leave as standard just incase I need any other warranty work
Quote:
I think the big issue BMW have with coding is when factory options, like CarPlay are added. This type of coding is more of a structural change to the system and is doing them out of revenue.
Something like folding mirrors on lock, digital speedo or doors lights on when reversing are just changed to options that already exist.

On my 335dx my dealer never had an issue with the coding (via BimmerCode) that I'd done. Even told me that after a software update one time I'd need to redo the boot closing from the remote and it was such a useful feature.
Interesting - thanks for the input. I'm very tempted to do some minor coding as there are a couple of tweaks I'd like.

I'd also love Carplay but I think it might be a bridge too far and too risky with the potential warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #13
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There's talk of a change from 2015 for the cabrio that seems to be when people started to struggle to add folding mirrors on lock from the remote.
I've seen mention of this online... Still, it's a challenge!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #14
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've seen mention of this online... Still, it's a challenge!
Absolutely - I'm going to try this week. If you do find a way, post up
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Indeed I will! If you crack it then please share
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #16
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed I will! If you crack it then please share
Just seen this on Bimmercode.
I coded them on my M140i today and it worked fine, but noticed they now include some narrative about not working on convertibles. Will keep looking….
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #17
mustremembermylogin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just seen this on Bimmercode.
I coded them on my M140i today and it worked fine, but noticed they now include some narrative about not working on convertibles. Will keep looking….
View post on imgur.com

This is what the Bimmercode site says for the 4 series, which is remarkably similar...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #18
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
View post on imgur.com

This is what the Bimmercode site says for the 4 series, which is remarkably similar...
As previous post my F33 with comfort access and folding mirrors works with a 4 second push of the remote key, must be some coding that will allow ??
      08-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #19
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
View post on imgur.com

As previous post my F33 with comfort access and folding mirrors works with a 4 second push of the remote key, must be some coding that will allow ??
Hmmmm, interesting….
I'm thinking it could be the comfort access that's allowing you to do this, but as you say if it's possible on one, then there should be some coding to allow it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:24 AM   #20
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

I have an F33 with power folding wing mirrors and comfort access and Yes if I hold the close button on the remote the mirrors do fold similarly I do the same on the door handle and someone here offered to code the car to do it automatically to save me constantly walking to the car to check whether it was locked. I asked the dealer but they said it wasn't possible. So I push the fold button when I leave the car and occasionally walk back to check to see if the red light is flashing.

In summary, let me know if you find way to get the car to fold the mirrors when locking.

Also let me know about the Smart Top module.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:42 AM   #21
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOF_430d View Post
I have an F33 with power folding wing mirrors and comfort access and Yes if I hold the close button on the remote the mirrors do fold similarly I do the same on the door handle and someone here offered to code the car to do it automatically to save me constantly walking to the car to check whether it was locked. I asked the dealer but they said it wasn't possible. So I push the fold button when I leave the car and occasionally walk back to check to see if the red light is flashing.

In summary, let me know if you find way to get the car to fold the mirrors when locking.

Also let me know about the Smart Top module.
The SmartTOP module is great.
Easy to fit/programme and adds great functionality.
I have it set up as follows:

2 x press unlock = all windows down.
3 x press unlock = windows lower, roof goes down, windows raise back up. (You can make the windows stay down if preferred.

2 x press lock = all windows up
3 x press lock = roof up and all windows up.

Also adds functionality to operate the lower/raise roof button in car as a one touch, rather than holding it.

Cost me £319 delivered the next day.

Very pleased with it. Happy to try and answer any questions. I may try and start another thread with pics and video too.
Appreciate 1
GOF_430d286.00
      08-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #22
GOF_430d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 430d convertible

How simple is it to install the module?

Usually I lower / raise the roof when I am in the car and I understand that the module means that I don't need to keep holding the switch whilst the roof sections go through their manoeuvres.
Appreciate 0