F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth EntryNav - Problematic.
Extreme Powerhouse

04-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Exclamation Bluetooth EntryNav - Problematic.

I was ignoring some issues as Bluetooth generally proves difficult in the workplace when required, so a random blip here or there was overlooked.

In the past 2 weeks, more than twice a day I get the following showing on the black panel by the speedo..

“No entries”

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03Vj...6Ajx6Ojf972etQ

This is a first world problem, and whilst some may think it’s not the end of the world, I really dislike using the iDrive controller for the following reasons:

- Can’t cycle through the playlist, it’s either one track ahead or behind
- Unless you hover over the next or past track button the name of the song won’t show
- If you want to skip several tracks, that’s several pushes and waiting to see the next song name, vs scrolling and pressing via the steering wheel button what song you want next, whereas using the wheel controls you can continue playing the current song and switch once you find one you like.
- All previous cars had steering wheel buttons and I am used to it.
- There’s warranty so they can look into it, there’s a reason they get paid for this stuff.. it’s to work!

Also, even when it does show the button press does not do anything! (If switching to DAB/Radio it functions fine)..

I cannot spot a pattern to BT media also crackling from time to time, I feel it repeatedly happens after calling someone/receiving a telephone call over BT, also muting and unmuting triggered it recently.

FYI, the car has already gone in for the crackling in the audio with no fault found. The head unit software has been upgraded to the latest version.

I can’t record the crackling as it’s my phone over BT streaming the audio, so it stops when I start video recording.

Phone: iPhone XS, replaces iPhone7 few weeks into ownership so invalid comparison..
Headunit: Entry Nav with EB. Stock form.
Media: Apple Music - (media synced via iTunes)

Anyone with similar problems, anything that aids in a better connection etc?

Just earlier I disconnected and reconnected 3 times! Same result.

Then restarted the iDrive, no result still. Restarted the iPhone and iDrive then the playlist appeared!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Take it this isn’t a common problem or something any one else has encountered?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Sprucedmoose
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 318D F30 M Sport+

I have the EntryNav on my F30 and when streaming via bluetooth, i can't skip songs using the wheel on the right. If I plug the phone (iPhone XS Max) in via the USB in the arm rest, I get album artwork and can skip iTunes via the wheel, but not Spotify. Might be worth giving that a try.

I feel your frustration, as my wife has an E91, and i can skip songs etc via the buttons on her steering wheel when using bluetooth. Seems like a backwards step.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucedmoose View Post
I have the EntryNav on my F30 and when streaming via bluetooth, i can't skip songs using the wheel on the right. If I plug the phone (iPhone XS Max) in via the USB in the arm rest, I get album artwork and can skip iTunes via the wheel, but not Spotify. Might be worth giving that a try.

I feel your frustration, as my wife has an E91, and i can skip songs etc via the buttons on her steering wheel when using bluetooth. Seems like a backwards step.
Is that a permanent thing over BT or sporadically in your F30?

I rarely use USB as even my first car ever I fitted BT into.. so not expecting to go wired now.

Likewise with album artwork, only ever showed one of few times I plugged in (to charge).

Not sure how far I can take this with the local dealership
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #5
Sprucedmoose
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
Is that a permanent thing over BT or sporadically in your F30?

I rarely use USB as even my first car ever I fitted BT into.. so not expecting to go wired now.

Likewise with album artwork, only ever showed one of few times I plugged in (to charge).

Not sure how far I can take this with the local dealership
Permanent no album artwork over BT but do via USB when playing either iTunes or Spotify. I can only skip songs through the right-hand side wheel using iTunes. Don't have Apple Music so haven't tried, but would be interested to know if it works. I can also access playlists and search for music via iDrive through iTunes but not Spotify.

I was reluctant to use the cable, but it charges the phone at the same time so every cloud and all that. I don't imagine that the dealership will do anything - it's the service associated with the EntryLevel Nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Permanent no album artwork over BT but do via USB when playing either iTunes or Spotify. I can only skip songs through the right-hand side wheel using iTunes. Don't have Apple Music so haven't tried, but would be interested to know if it works. I can also access playlists and search for music via iDrive through iTunes but not Spotify.

I was reluctant to use the cable, but it charges the phone at the same time so every cloud and all that. I don't imagine that the dealership will do anything - it's the service associated with the EntryLevel Nav.
To be honest whenever I try and escalate anything with the dealership it takes so much time, effort and visits to people who don't know why I'm there... it's draining.

Tempted to just deal with the shitty connection and keep re-connecting with it if the playlist doesn't show. I think I may have confused others, but I am playing music from iTunes and not via a streamed service, which is what I was getting at with media synced from iTunes onto my phone. Apple music is a streaming service not media player lol

Even if its the EntryNav, why market the Enhanced bluetooth with media streaming if it's not capable? Was a paid for option I believe.

(I didn't code it in, EB is there as an added option by the first owner)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Sprucedmoose
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
To be honest whenever I try and escalate anything with the dealership it takes so much time, effort and visits to people who don't know why I'm there... it's draining.

Tempted to just deal with the shitty connection and keep re-connecting with it if the playlist doesn't show. I think I may have confused others, but I am playing music from iTunes and not via a streamed service, which is what I was getting at with media synced from iTunes onto my phone. Apple music is a streaming service not media player lol

Even if its the EntryNav, why market the Enhanced bluetooth with media streaming if it's not capable? Was a paid for option I believe.

(I didn't code it in, EB is there as an added option by the first owner)
I feel your pain - I've found varying degrees of competence depending on which member of staff i speak to at my local dealers. Fortunate that I have a good Indy near by.

Streaming "regular iTunes" playlists over BT doesn't show album artwork, allow me to search or skip songs using the wheel on the steering wheel; it does when plugged in though. Sounds like we have similar problems.

I agree regarding the EB. I can only speculate regarding the level of nav restricting options. My E91 has Pro Nav and I can do everything via BT. My F30 is EntryNav and I can't do half the things.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I feel your pain - I've found varying degrees of competence depending on which member of staff i speak to at my local dealers. Fortunate that I have a good Indy near by.

Streaming "regular iTunes" playlists over BT doesn't show album artwork, allow me to search or skip songs using the wheel on the steering wheel; it does when plugged in though. Sounds like we have similar problems.

I agree regarding the EB. I can only speculate regarding the level of nav restricting options. My E91 has Pro Nav and I can do everything via BT. My F30 is EntryNav and I can't do half the things.
That’s very odd as since picking up the car (used) in 2018, the scrolling has worked over BT (apart from my recent rant). Only thing to have changed is my phone and frequency of using the car. Upgraded from an iPhone 7 which had served well, moving onto the XS. Same thing here regarding artwork, only works when wired.

Does your media have track names and relevant artwork information, or does the scroller do nothing at all? What shows? Is it like a “-“ or “No entries” or “0*?
Appreciate 0