F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stacking on top of MPPK?
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
015iXMN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
While BM3 makes a lot more power, the downside is you risk your powertrain warranty. The BM3 and other flash tunes tend to push the turbos right up to their limit and in some cases slightly behind, point is, the motor is being pushed pretty hard with these flash tunes. With the MPPK, you're only adding about 2psi plus getting an OEM performance tune, warranty coverage, and excellent driveability.

Stacking with the JB+ or Dinantronics Sport Tuner (my preference), adds about 30-40wtq on top of the MPPK (which already makes ~300-310whp and 320-330wtq) and with the stacked piggyback, you still have pretty good drivability (especially with the 6MT) and less risk of denied powertrain coverage as these simply piggybacks aren't detectable once removed.
This is exactly the reason I went MPPK. I'm still under CPO for another 2 years and didn't want to risk it. I'm going to pick up a JB+ and throw it on there this weekend. I'll report back.
I am in the same boat. Just got MPPK installed yesterday, however I am going to wait for a tank or two before I stack the dinantronics sport. When I had the dinantronics sport by itself, it definitely made a difference and I only had it in sport mode. Curious to see if I feel a difference when I stack.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #24
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 015iXMN55 View Post
I am in the same boat. Just got MPPK installed yesterday, however I am going to wait for a tank or two before I stack the dinantronics sport. When I had the dinantronics sport by itself, it definitely made a difference and I only had it in sport mode. Curious to see if I feel a difference when I stack.
Cool let me know how it goes for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 015iXMN55 View Post
You most definitely can feel the difference. When you stack, you get generally the same power delivery as stock and the MPPK, which is a somewhat linear power delivery that builds as the rpms rise. This is done by the DME regulating boost in the low to midrange rpms and full boost isn't realized until the rpms are in the 5000+rpm range. When stacked with the MPPK, the surge to redline is clearly more strong and improved acceleration above 50mph+ is evident. With the flash tunes and JB4, they create a lot more boost in the low to midrange so the surge in power in that rpm range is really felt, but the acceleration above 5,800rpms feels weak in comparison (look at the dynos and you'll see what I mean) If you like the OEM type power delivery and aren't concerned about all out power, you'll like the stacked setup. I prefer the stacked setup because it's far easier to manage the power when driving hard.
      01-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #26
F32 M Perf.
CoolWhip_
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F32 FBO

More hp on top of MPPK

I have a 2014 F32 w/MPPK and M Perf exhaust. It's not under warranty. My understanding is that all-in-all my car makes 325-330hp since the non-MPPK 435i makes 300. I recently added a Dinan CAI and the throttle response is amazing. Dinan states +10hp/+15trq without additional mods, so I should be now at the 335-340hp range.

I'm not sure which product would give me better top-up power using 91 or 93 Oct. pump fuel (in addition to the MPPK) and whether the flash modules would bypass MPPK. What suggestions do you guys have to add more power?

- The new Dinan flash stage 2 needing IC and turbo upgrade

- MHD 2+ needing IC, CP and DP?

- JB+ or JB4?

Did I understand correctly that JB+ is a piggyback module? Does the same apply for JB4?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M435i View Post
I have a 2014 F32 w/MPPK and M Perf exhaust. It's not under warranty. My understanding is that all-in-all my car makes 325-330hp since the non-MPPK 435i makes 300. I recently added a Dinan CAI and the throttle response is amazing. Dinan states +10hp/+15trq without additional mods, so I should be now at the 335-340hp range.

I'm not sure which product would give me better top-up power using 91 or 93 Oct. pump fuel (in addition to the MPPK) and whether the flash modules would bypass MPPK. What suggestions do you guys have to add more power?

- JB+ or JB4?

Did I understand correctly that JB+ is a piggyback module? Does the same apply for JB4?
Don't take this as a criticism, but based on your post/questions you have a lot of research to do if you want to be fully informed and understand all the "tuning" options out there, their nuances, required mods, potential power gains, etc. I'll give you a starting point:

First, all i will say about the Dinan is that I'm glad you have had a positive experience thus far but that's not the same for everyone. Hopefully it continues to hold true. Its questionable whether its adding the power you quoted, though, regardless of what dinan states, especially on a stock(MPPK) load-based tune. Anyways, i have a review on intakes here, but i digress: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289

For flash tunes, you basically choose MHD or BM3. There's no reason really to get the Dinan flash if you aren't in warranty. You can read 100s of pages on BM3 and MHD in their respective threads. There's also a recent thread on the new Dinan flash, but little to no users (on here at least), and basically zero data since the tune does not come with datalogging capabilities. For the Dinan, you are basically just paying for the name behind it, so take that FWIW.

BM3 and MHD are both well established tunes on this platform, and you can't really go wrong with either. In a nutshell, if you want to squeeze the most power out of your hardware and want continued development of new functionality, BM3 is the way to go. If you want a slightly more conservative tune that is load-based like the stock tune and simply just works, go with MHD (this is in no way saying BM3 doesn't work, but something can be said for having to potentially troubleshoot when new releases come out, etc). BM3 is currently the only one that offers a OTS map for upgraded HPFP and ethanol mixes, if that matters at all to you. On pump gas, both offer very similar power potential with their OTS maps, with BM3 maybe taking a slight edge.

All of these tunes are going to require hardware upgrades. CP is required even without a tune. A stage 2 (BM3) or 2+ (MHD) tune will require IC and DP in addition.

IMO there's not really any reason to consider a JB4 in this day and age unless you need it for a specific reason - i.e., meth control or your own boost control, with a BEF. Based on the questions you asked, this is probably not something you are interested in. JB+ and JB4 are both piggybacks, you just plug them in, and you dont flash the DME. JB+ is just a boost controller, which is what you can technically "stack" with MPPK, but this is frankly an outdated way to make power with MHD and BM3 OTS maps available.

TLDR: Pick MHD or BM3 - read up on each and make a decision. Then research what company(ies) you want to go with for your IC+CP+DP, install, then flash the tune for your fuel available. Datalog at each step of the way to make sure all is well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:59 AM   #28
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

I stacked MPPK, BM3, MHD and JB4. Car has 800hp now. Will be stacking the ESS Power box later to reach 1000hp
      01-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #29
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I stacked MPPK, BM3, MHD and JB4. Car has 800hp now. Will be stacking the ESS Power box later to reach 1000hp
Stock HPFP too!
      01-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #30
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M435i View Post

- JB+ or JB4?

Don't take this as a criticism, but based on your post/questions you have a lot of research to do if you want to be fully informed and understand all the "tuning" options out there, their nuances, required mods, potential power gains, etc. I'll give you a starting point:

First, all i will say about the Dinan is that I'm glad you have had a positive experience thus far but that's not the same for everyone. Hopefully it continues to hold true. Its questionable whether its adding the power you quoted, though, regardless of what dinan states, especially on a stock(MPPK) load-based tune. Anyways, i have a review on intakes here, but i digress: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289

For flash tunes, you basically choose MHD or BM3. There's no reason really to get the Dinan flash if you aren't in warranty. You can read 100s of pages on BM3 and MHD in their respective threads. There's also a recent thread on the new Dinan flash, but little to no users (on here at least), and basically zero data since the tune does not come with datalogging capabilities. For the Dinan, you are basically just paying for the name behind it, so take that FWIW.

BM3 and MHD are both well established tunes on this platform, and you can't really go wrong with either. In a nutshell, if you want to squeeze the most power out of your hardware and want continued development of new functionality, BM3 is the way to go. If you want a slightly more conservative tune that is load-based like the stock tune and simply just works, go with MHD (this is in no way saying BM3 doesn't work, but something can be said for having to potentially troubleshoot when new releases come out, etc). BM3 is currently the only one that offers a OTS map for upgraded HPFP and ethanol mixes, if that matters at all to you. On pump gas, both offer very similar power potential with their OTS maps, with BM3 maybe taking a slight edge.

All of these tunes are going to require hardware upgrades. CP is required even without a tune. A stage 2 (BM3) or 2+ (MHD) tune will require IC and DP in addition.

IMO there's not really any reason to consider a JB4 in this day and age unless you need it for a specific reason - i.e., meth control or your own boost control, with a BEF. Based on the questions you asked, this is probably not something you are interested in. JB+ and JB4 are both piggybacks, you just plug them in, and you dont flash the DME. JB+ is just a boost controller, which is what you can technically "stack" with MPPK, but this is frankly an outdated way to make power with MHD and BM3 OTS maps available.

TLDR: Pick MHD or BM3 - read up on each and make a decision. Then research what company(ies) you want to go with for your IC+CP+DP, install, then flash the tune for your fuel available. Datalog at each step of the way to make sure all is well.
this is pretty much all there is to say on the subject.

love how people think tunes stack btw.. lol

wonder if I can stack bm3 and mhd?!?
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #31
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Stock HPFP too!
Hell yeah. Bitch is rippin' on some home brew I mixed
      01-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #32
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
this is pretty much all there is to say on the subject.

love how people think tunes stack btw.. lol

wonder if I can stack bm3 and mhd?!?
Without knowing how advanced the JB+ is - you might actually be able to stack that on a flash tune. As far as I know it just add 2psi to what ever DME target is
      01-12-2021, 11:54 PM   #33
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Without knowing how advanced the JB+ is - you might actually be able to stack that on a flash tune. As far as I know it just add 2psi to what ever DME target is
I thought about doing this with JB+ and MHD E20 map if i were to upgrade HPFP, like a cheap equivalent to BM3 stage 2+ tune, before going custom.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:12 AM   #34
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
I thought about doing this with JB+ and MHD E20 map if i were to upgrade HPFP, like a cheap equivalent to BM3 stage 2+ tune, before going custom.
I'd love to see that
      01-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #35
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick_Slayer View Post
I'm posting here now to see if anyone has added the $300 Dinan sport performance tuner clip to a MPPK, not the full on ST1 - still looking for more overrun burble/backfire - my turbo mini coupe made gun shot sounds stock..
You rang? I have been running this setup for a long time. Very smooth and I definitely feel a difference with the DS off, less mid-range grunt mostly. I remove it before any dealer visit (I am still under an extended warranty) which takes five minutes. I've never had the car dyno'd and probably never will, but MPPK is supposed to add 30hp and the DS another 20. It probably does not add up to 350hp, but it feels like it. The DS doesn't seem to make a difference to the exhaust sounds, but the MPPK/MPE is burbly to the point where I wish I could switch it off sometimes...

For the price, get the Dinan thing. Buy a used one. You can always remove and sell it later (I bought mine used). I think you'll like it. I run mine in "Race" mode with 93 octane, and blew up the charge pipe a few months ago. Replaced under warranty (obvs I removed the DS before I took it in). The only complaint I have is that the iOS app is crap; it's fine for switching modes but the boost gauge stops working within a minute. Not a big deal.

You ARE talking about this thing right?

Last edited by Salty B.; 01-17-2021 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #36
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
You rang? I have been running this setup for a long time. Very smooth and I definitely feel a difference with the DS off, less mid-range grunt mostly. I remove it before any dealer visit (I am still under an extended warranty) which takes five minutes. I've never had the car dyno'd and probably never will, but MPPK is supposed to add 30hp and the DS another 20. It probably does not add up to 350hp, but it feels like it. The DS doesn't seem to make a difference to the exhaust sounds, but the MPPK/MPE is burbly to the point where I wish I could switch it off sometimes...

For the price, get the Dinan thing. Buy a used one. You can always remove and sell it later (I bought mine used). I think you'll like it. I run mine in "Race" mode with 93 octane, and blew up the charge pipe a few months ago. Replaced under warranty (obvs I removed the DS before I took it in). The only complaint I have is that the iOS app is crap; it's fine for switching modes but the boost gauge stops working within a minute. Not a big deal.

You ARE talking about this thing right?
The post you replied to is 2.5 years old, lol.
Appreciate 1
n55david1288.00
      01-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #37
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
The post you replied to is 2.5 years old, lol.
And...? He's certainly not the only one out there who has this question.
      01-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
And...? He's certainly not the only one out there who has this question.
Not saying its a problem just pointing it out. Its good to close the loop on old threads even if it is a bit late
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #39
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
For those who have installed the Dinan Stage 1 or Dinan Sport Tuner, have you had any issues with check engine lights coming on or anything? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of them.
      02-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #40
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
For those who have installed the Dinan Stage 1 or Dinan Sport Tuner, have you had any issues with check engine lights coming on or anything? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of them.
Go straight to bootmod3, don't even mess with the piggybacks.
      02-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #41
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand that, I just don't want to void my warranty.
      02-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #42
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I understand that, I just don't want to void my warranty.
Warranty shwarranty
      02-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #43
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep

Garage List
lol! Yeah I know!

I do plan on doing bootmod3 once my warranty is out but not right now.
      02-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #44
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol! Yeah I know!

I do plan on doing bootmod3 once my warranty is out but not right now.
I hear ya man. I did the same thing honestly. It's a waste of money. Put it into suspension would be my advice.