F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPE with aftermarket tips. - anyone running them?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-06-2018, 12:22 AM   #45
Dfahmy
Second Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30 335i PWG

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
The tips fit but it wasn't that smooth of a process. The muffler shop had to drill out my chrome MPE tips (riveted on), then cut off the tailpipe ends that those were riveted to. The tips then slid on, but they still had to be welded to ensure they wouldn't move. You could probably clamp them on in some circumstances but the muffler shop advised against it when they showed me that they weren't tight enough. Either way, it was a very reasonably priced mod for my MPE. Any decent muffler shop should be able to take care of this for you for less than $100. Both tips can be found for $100 shipped if you order from Aliexpress. I also had them install stiffer rubber exhaust hangers so that my tips would not hang as low as they were before. Will post pics this evening.
They look very nice, I was wondering where did you get those stiffer exhaust hangers as my tips hang a little too low also ?
      10-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #46
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfahmy View Post
They look very nice, I was wondering where did you get those stiffer exhaust hangers as my tips hang a little too low also ?
My muffler tips hung almost 2 fingers lower than my diffuser. Now they’re a little less than 1 finger below which I’m good with

I went with these since I saw someone else mention them:

0.4" 10mm x 2 Hole EXHAUST CAR MUFFLER HANGER UPRATED YELLOW POLYURETHANE https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331948391772
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #47
learntocode
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
I can't even find the CF tips used anywhere. When I had the MPE installed they took the OEM chrome tips off the stock muffler and banged them on to the new one, but they're cheap-looking. HOWever I don't want to spend $450+ for new CF tips or even $200+ for the M chrome tips. This is stupid.
hi Flying Badger, was there any issues using your 335i exhaust stock tips over to the MPE install? Any sort of additional modification to make them fit.. did it secure in place okay? Let me know and thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #48
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by learntocode View Post
hi Flying Badger, was there any issues using your 335i exhaust stock tips over to the MPE install? Any sort of additional modification to make them fit.. did it secure in place okay? Let me know and thank you very much.
Old thread, new info.

Yes the OE tips did fit the MPE, although I had the dealer install the new muffler and whoever did it moved the tips to the MPE.

I found some fake-M tips on aliexpress.com for $35/pr. These took almost five months to arrive from China, so be patient. I had already gotten a refund from AliExpress when they showed up the very next day. I ended up paying the seller via paypal because I'm not that guy.

The old ones came off easily with a dead-blow mallet and the new ones went on no problem.

Seems the ones I got aren't available anymore, but here's the website.

https://reejim.aliexpress.com/store/group/BMW-Tips/2413024_509749380.html
      09-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #49
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Old thread, new info.

Yes the OE tips did fit the MPE, although I had the dealer install the new muffler and whoever did it moved the tips to the MPE.

I found some fake-M tips on aliexpress.com for $35/pr. These took almost five months to arrive from China, so be patient. I had already gotten a refund from AliExpress when they showed up the very next day. I ended up paying the seller via paypal because I'm not that guy.

The old ones came off easily with a dead-blow mallet and the new ones went on no problem.

Seems the ones I got aren't available anymore, but here's the website.

https://reejim.aliexpress.com/store/group/BMW-Tips/2413024_509749380.html
Did you get the short/stubby ones or the full length ones that require you to cut the small tab off the stock exhaust?

There are a LOT of knockoff options on ebay but i found it really hard to find the full length ones that also have the //M logo (lots of blanks and stubby ones), especially with USA stock. I ended up finding some for $50 each and pulled the trigger and i am happy with the quality. Just installed a month or two ago and they seem to be holding up well. Only took me like 5 days to get them.

There no way i would pay the insane price of $200-250 each for OEM ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #50
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
I would opt for an AWE exhaust tbh.
      09-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #51
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm running the F-series N55/B58 3.5" slip-ons on my M235 with the M Performance exhaust. Anything larger in diameter with my M Performance diffuser would risk melting the plastic.

Do you have another picture? This one is not active.
      09-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #52
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Did you get the short/stubby ones or the full length ones that require you to cut the small tab off the stock exhaust?

There are a LOT of knockoff options on ebay but i found it really hard to find the full length ones that also have the //M logo (lots of blanks and stubby ones), especially with USA stock. I ended up finding some for $50 each and pulled the trigger and i am happy with the quality. Just installed a month or two ago and they seem to be holding up well. Only took me like 5 days to get them.

link to these?
      09-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #53
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
link to these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pcs-Gloss...72.m2749.l2649

Just checked and they are even cheaper now, kinda jealous about that lol. This is an absolute bargain assuming they are the same quality as the ones i got (link is from my purchase history). Very difficult to find with this price with USA stock and the actual ///M logo. There are only 4 left and when i ordered there were also only a few in stock so if you are going to order I would not hesitate.
Appreciate 2
mgeller51.50
AmuroRay2266.00
      09-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #54
mgeller
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
link to these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pcs-Gloss...72.m2749.l2649

Just checked and they are even cheaper now, kinda jealous about that lol. This is an absolute bargain assuming they are the same quality as the ones i got (link is from my purchase history). Very difficult to find with this price with USA stock and the actual ///M logo. There are only 4 left and when i ordered there were also only a few in stock so if you are going to order I would not hesitate.
Just pulled the trigger, thanks for the link! 2 left 👀
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #55
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
An old reply I failed to see... yes, the short stubby ones.

They took nearly FIVE MONTHS to arrive.

But they went on the MPE pipes just fine, and looked great for a few months. The blue effect somehow wore off one of them and looked terrible, so I took them off.

I ordered the OEM black-chrome tips thinking I could force them on, but found that this would have damaged either the tips or the exhaust so I'm returning them. The difference was too much.

I also realized that the MPE (dealer installed) must have included the larger chrome tips, and that the shop did not force the smaller ones from the factory exhaust on to the bigger pipe like I originally thought. I compared the internals to the OEM black ones and the chrome tips were definitely made to go over the bigger-OD pipe of the MPE.

Now I'm running naked pipes and to be honest it doesn't look bad... I think I'm giving up on this one as I refuse to pay for the M carbon tips and the fakes on ebay look like a waste of money. Maybe I'll do a black plasti-dip on the old chrome ones.
      01-05-2021, 12:19 AM   #56
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
An old reply I failed to see... yes, the short stubby ones.

They took nearly FIVE MONTHS to arrive.

But they went on the MPE pipes just fine, and looked great for a few months. The blue effect somehow wore off one of them and looked terrible, so I took them off.

I ordered the OEM black-chrome tips thinking I could force them on, but found that this would have damaged either the tips or the exhaust so I'm returning them. The difference was too much.

I also realized that the MPE (dealer installed) must have included the larger chrome tips, and that the shop did not force the smaller ones from the factory exhaust on to the bigger pipe like I originally thought. I compared the internals to the OEM black ones and the chrome tips were definitely made to go over the bigger-OD pipe of the MPE.

Now I'm running naked pipes and to be honest it doesn't look bad... I think I'm giving up on this one as I refuse to pay for the M carbon tips and the fakes on ebay look like a waste of money. Maybe I'll do a black plasti-dip on the old chrome ones.
The ebay ///M CF tips i got for $45 each look great, and i have had them on for several months without issue or any type of abnormal fade or wear/tear. These are on OEM exhaust, and not sure if you could open them up enough to go over MPE. You might be able to find those with the MPE size, though. I could have just gotten lucky, because i know some ebay ones are junk. (see pics above for my tips installed)

I'm not sure plasti dip would hold up to heat on exaust tips. High temp paint might be a better bet if you want to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #57
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:

How did you cut off the pins on the stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #58
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
How did you cut off the pins on the stock exhaust?
$9.99 harbor freight electric grinder with a cutoff wheel. Then use a flap disc or carefully use a grinding wheel (dont want to take off too much material) to make it smooth since you are using a flat disc to cut on a round pipe. You could also use any other saw, probably even a hand hacksaw and a file if you dont have power tools.

I didnt want to remove the exhaust completely so i just unbolted the 2 hangers from under the car (1 bolt each side) and lowered the exhaust/muffler as low as it would go, supporting it with a box. I then removed only the lower trim (diffuser part, just pops off) off the rear M-sport bumper and that gave me enough access.

The car was completely on the ground i didnt even go on ramps.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #59
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Awesome. Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #60
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure plasti dip would hold up to heat on exaust tips. High temp paint might be a better bet if you want to go that route.
Welp, we'll find out once the weather warms up a little. I got a can of the dark gray waiting for that.

Paint doesn't seem to stick to chrome very well though. Any suggestions? Powder coat?
      01-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #61
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Welp, we'll find out once the weather warms up a little. I got a can of the dark gray waiting for that.

Paint doesn't seem to stick to chrome very well though. Any suggestions? Powder coat?
You need to lightly sand before trying to paint. Paint wont stick to anything there is smooth/polished. You need to at least scuff the surface.

Powder coat works, but is more expensive than the cheap DIY i thought you were going for.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #62
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You need to lightly sand before trying to paint. Paint wont stick to anything there is smooth/polished. You need to at least scuff the surface.

Powder coat works, but is more expensive than the cheap DIY i thought you were going for.
Yeah got a quote for $80. I'll try the cheap route first since I've already got the stuff.
      02-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #63
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
So I sprayed the OE MPE tips sprayed with about eight coats of a matte gray. They look pretty good and it’s the last step with the de-chromed theme I’ve been doing. Now the butt end is done, replaced the chrome 335i badge with a black one awhile back.

We’ll see how long it lasts. The tips probably don’t get super-hot and I figure this stuff is meant to stand up to direct sunlight heat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Salty B.; 02-09-2021 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0