F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Question about sticky things on wheels
proTUNING Freaks

07-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Swappy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 340i LSB/ 21 X3 30i

Question about sticky things on wheels

Hello, I was cleaning my wheels yesterday, and found these cushy feeling things on my wheels. What are these ?

Like a part of it peeled into my hand. The other wheel had it completely worn out anyway.

These are not those 3M wheel weights I hope ? Any ideas ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Balancing weight sticky. I'm sure there's an official term for it, but it's a super sticky double sided foam pad that attaches the wheel weights to your wheels. You can get it off with goo gone or a rubber wheel on a drill if you want to remove the wheel. Thic_F30 did a short part of one of his videos on it. I can't remember which one, though.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      07-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Swappy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Balancing weight sticky. I'm sure there's an official term for it, but it's a super sticky double sided foam pad that attaches the wheel weights to your wheels. You can get it off with goo gone or a rubber wheel on a drill if you want to remove the wheel. Thic_F30 did a short part of one of his videos on it. I can't remember which one, though.
Thank you for the reply. So like does that mean my wheels are not balanced anymore ? Like it just fell off ?

Or did they remove the weights to rebalance them when I got new tires a month ago and this is just the residue ? I found them on all wheels.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swappy View Post
Thank you for the reply. So like does that mean my wheels are not balanced anymore ? Like it just fell off ?

Or did they remove the weights to rebalance them when I got new tires a month ago and this is just the residue ? I found them on all wheels.
Typically weights are removed for rebalancing, in which case the left over sticky stuff isnt removed as its a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      07-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Swappy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swappy View Post

Typically weights are removed for rebalancing, in which case the left over sticky stuff isnt removed as its a pain in the ass.
That clears it, thank you !
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
When I have tires replaced or balanced I demand that they remove the old weight residue

If they won't, I go elsewhere. So far local MBenz dealer where I have all my tires done, regardless of make of car, has no problem removing the residue - and they are still 1/2 the cost of getting them HRF balanced vs the local BMW dealer where I buy my cars

After a couple yrs the entire rim of your wheels would be covered with that sticky crap looking like hell and collecting dirt that dont go away...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0