F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Returning to the fold?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-26-2023, 04:10 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Returning to the fold?

Hello forum folk,
Have been off the forum for several years now but returning as I'm considering buying a 128ti so where better to get advice and feedback?
I'm driving a 186ps Mazda3 hatchback manual at the mo', which comes to the end of its contract Q2 next year, so have been thinking about alternative petrol hatchbacks, which are good to drive.
The Mazda is lovely and I may well buy it as the GFV is low but always good to see what's out there. First thing is that it cant be shouty as it will be stolen off the drive - which is why I sold the M Perf 440i at the beginning of 2020 after a break-in. The 128ti caught my eye. With the dodgy red inserts and logos deleted, it looks like a regular M Sport model. Ok, there are twin exhaust tips and some unique alloys but at a glance, it doesn't shout 'Steal me'. Not to my eyes anyway. Reviews are more +ve than -ve. Its a bit lardy for a 2L hatchback, the grille is awful - darker colours mask it a bit - and there's the Aisin 8 speed auto, which gets mixed reviews, but apart from that, I like it!
Any advice, folks? Avoid like the plague? Go for it? Will be pleased to hear from you again
      11-26-2023, 04:23 AM   #2
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Had one, for a month, dealer bought it back due to a multitude of reasons I won't go into.

The car was fun, latter models have stuff removed due to covid so look at 20/21/22 year - namely the boot metal load strip was removed, as was the 12v line and the second light in the boot.

The rear doors lost the nice backlight trim and was replaced by a basic LED in a plastic mount.

Ref the car itself, the twin exhaust is only used when in sport mode (the flap opens)
The in car engine noise is annoyingly fake, I didn't really enjoy that part.
There's a fair amount of torque steer through the front wheels due to the FWD and the 265bhp - it has some clever tech in it, but there is still something there.

I really liked the car itself, and am looking at getting back into one - the prices have definitely fallen (motorpoint seem to have got alot in recently at under £30k for a 2023 with under 10k miles but they all have the covid interior).
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2023, 05:25 AM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Had one, for a month, dealer bought it back due to a multitude of reasons I won't go into.

The car was fun, latter models have stuff removed due to covid so look at 20/21/22 year - namely the boot metal load strip was removed, as was the 12v line and the second light in the boot.

The rear doors lost the nice backlight trim and was replaced by a basic LED in a plastic mount.

Ref the car itself, the twin exhaust is only used when in sport mode (the flap opens)
There's a fair amount of torque steer through the front wheels due to the FWD and the 265bhp - it has some clever tech in it, but there is still something there.

I really liked the car itself, and am looking at getting back into one - the prices have definitely fallen (motorpoint seem to have got alot in recently at under £30k for a 2023 with under 10k miles but they all have the covid interior).
Useful advice, thanks. Had been looking at Carwow PCP deals but will look at used on AT as well.
Is the torque steer only noticeable when you floor it?
      11-26-2023, 05:39 AM   #4
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post

Im going to get a test drive but how did you find the ride quality? Forgiving enough for use as a daily?
The suspension set up is spot on for me on the Mazda on 18"s- firm but never crashy. Id be going for 18"s on the 128ti.
      11-26-2023, 06:24 AM   #5
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Hello forum folk,
Have been off the forum for several years now but returning as I'm considering buying a 128ti so where better to get advice and feedback?
I'm driving a 186ps Mazda3 hatchback manual at the mo', which comes to the end of its contract Q2 next year, so have been thinking about alternative petrol hatchbacks, which are good to drive.
The Mazda is lovely and I may well buy it as the GFV is low but always good to see what's out there. First thing is that it cant be shouty as it will be stolen off the drive - which is why I sold the M Perf 440i at the beginning of 2020 after a break-in. The 128ti caught my eye. With the dodgy red inserts and logos deleted, it looks like a regular M Sport model. Ok, there are twin exhaust tips and some unique alloys but at a glance, it doesn't shout 'Steal me'. Not to my eyes anyway. Reviews are more +ve than -ve. Its a bit lardy for a 2L hatchback, the grille is awful - darker colours mask it a bit - and there's the Aisin 8 speed auto, which gets mixed reviews, but apart from that, I like it!
Any advice, folks? Avoid like the plague? Go for it? Will be pleased to hear from you again
The reviews I've read rate it higher than the M135i. Personally, I'd choose the 128i over the M135i. You can make it look quite anonymous, which I like
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #6
speedski
Major
Rep

Yea I also prefer the lack of Xdrive hassle and economy hit on the 128ti vs the 135.

Yes, the TS is mainly when you floor it, but its also a bit noticeable in the wet under normal acceleration.

I personally wouldn't lease one looking at the prices emerging now, Motorpoint has those 23 plates on <10K at 25% off new price right now and there is still more of a slide to come to those values.

Things I really liked...
Wireless carplay, HUD was excellent, Live cockpit pro is a must, HK audio was good (although never heard non).

Ride was okay, I had the 19's and didn't like the design (PITA to clean) but the ride was fine (no where near as crashy as say an E89 on 19's).

I would go 'features' deleted for the next I car if I go for the 128ti - I would also look to get different mats (i know it sounds nuts) but they being red trimmed, means the non leather interior on the 128ti is a bit TOO red 'halfords' trim.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #7
speedski
Major
Rep

Hartside has had one for a lot longer than I did - he also was kind enough to help me through my troubles, maybe he can give you a bit of a longer-term owner view...!
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #8
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Thanks Speedski, I’ve been in mine since April 21 and still love it. The red parts were a definite for deletion at the point I ordered, I couldn’t live with them. Mine is Mineral Grey and it certainly doesn’t shout out, quite anonymous I’m pleased to say. Other thing I went for on mine was 18” wheels with what they called performance tyres as at that time they shipped with Michelin PS4’s. I was also afraid the 19’s might be a bit too big for comfort and also low profile tyres and the state of our roads wasn’t the best combination.

Early cars shipped with analogue dials and there are a few reports of the needles dimming with age, under warranty no problem but in excess of a couple of grand if you are out of warranty. I was lucky enough to get the digital dials and pro nav on mine at no extra cost due to component shortages at the time.

HUD is superb, very rarely look at the dials and also HK sound although not fantastic, is better than the standard sound system. Interior is nice place to be, everything where it needs to be and it feels premium. I’m 6’ 2” and the seats, leg room and headroom are fine for me but I have to say the seats in the M135i are better. I sat in an M135i last time mine was in for service and was surprised how much higher it was

I love the fact that it is very adaptable to any type of driving, happy to pootle around town and up for a country road blast. Mid range get up and go is very reasonable. Steady long distance trips will easily see an indicated 45mpg in comfort mode. I’ve never bothered with Eco Pro apart from when I first got it.

Speedski mentioned torque steer and for the first couple of months it was quite noticeable but now I rarely notice it, maybe the tyres bedding in and yielding more grip.

If there is anything specific you want to know, please ask
Appreciate 3
      11-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #9
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Thanks Speedski, I’ve been in mine since April 21 and still love it. The red parts were a definite for deletion at the point I ordered, I couldn’t live with them. Mine is Mineral Grey and it certainly doesn’t shout out, quite anonymous I’m pleased to say. Other thing I went for on mine was 18” wheels with what they called performance tyres as at that time they shipped with Michelin PS4’s. I was also afraid the 19’s might be a bit too big for comfort and also low profile tyres and the state of our roads wasn’t the best combination.

Early cars shipped with analogue dials and there are a few reports of the needles dimming with age, under warranty no problem but in excess of a couple of grand if you are out of warranty. I was lucky enough to get the digital dials and pro nav on mine at no extra cost due to component shortages at the time.

HUD is superb, very rarely look at the dials and also HK sound although not fantastic, is better than the standard sound system. Interior is nice place to be, everything where it needs to be and it feels premium. I’m 6’ 2” and the seats, leg room and headroom are fine for me but I have to say the seats in the M135i are better. I sat in an M135i last time mine was in for service and was surprised how much higher it was

I love the fact that it is very adaptable to any type of driving, happy to pootle around town and up for a country road blast. Mid range get up and go is very reasonable. Steady long distance trips will easily see an indicated 45mpg in comfort mode. I’ve never bothered with Eco Pro apart from when I first got it.

Speedski mentioned torque steer and for the first couple of months it was quite noticeable but now I rarely notice it, maybe the tyres bedding in and yielding more grip.

If there is anything specific you want to know, please ask
Many thanks Hartside, really useful feedback
Keeping the OTR price under £40k, the only options Im looking at are metallic paint, leather seats and the HK sound system. The base price has gone up since '21, of course. Id like the tech pack for the adaptive lights and HUD but that would take it well over £40k. Keeping an eye on used too.
      11-26-2023, 02:40 PM   #10
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Many thanks Hartside, really useful feedback
Keeping the OTR price under £40k, the only options Im looking at are metallic paint, leather seats and the HK sound system. The base price has gone up since '21, of course. Id like the tech pack for the adaptive lights and HUD but that would take it well over £40k. Keeping an eye on used too.
Yikes, mine was negotiated from £38k to around £32.5k with metallic paint, tech pack, HK audio, sun protection glass and lumbar support back in early ‘21. Guess the discounts aren’t there now!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 01:11 PM   #11
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Yikes, mine was negotiated from £38k to around £32.5k with metallic paint, tech pack, HK audio, sun protection glass and lumbar support back in early ‘21. Guess the discounts aren’t there now!
Yikes indeed.
Ive not followed cars and prices at all for a good couple of years now. The price of new and used cars is staggering. BMW Used used to be attractive. My first used was an E61 530D Touring with every conceivable option with under 2k miles. I paid around £35k I think which doesnt buy you much these days in the nearly new market.
      11-29-2023, 07:58 AM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Test drove a used car yesterday. Wasnt the spec Id be after but the dealer was close by and it was on 18"s, which was key. I liked the car but it didnt wow me. It was an accompanied test drive and I only got the chance to really put my foot down a few times. The engine felt responsive, the ride was firm but I prefer that, the seats were supportive and it looked nice enough inside and out. The gearbox felt pretty ordinary though, a bit lethargic, particularly at the start when everything was cold. Its a shame that there isnt a manual 128ti, it would improve engagement no end.
Ive read that there's a new 1 series coming out next year and no F40 LCI. Will be interesting to see what happens to the price of used 128ti's as a result.
      11-29-2023, 09:04 AM   #13
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

I had a 1 Hr back to back test drive in a 128ti then onto M340i in absolutely atrocious rain. I found the 128 just wanted to bounce and plough straight on in the corners, whereas the m340i just gripped. Very different cars I know, but I did not get on with it.
Also, the boot was not big enough to get golf clubs straight in, without taking the driver out. For me that was the nail in the coffin. Oh and the 128 was mathematically fast enough for anyone, it just did not feel that emphatic. The m340i felt like a step up from the 440gc I was coming from in performance and handling.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:03 AM   #14
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
I had a 1 Hr back to back test drive in a 128ti then onto M340i in absolutely atrocious rain. I found the 128 just wanted to bounce and plough straight on in the corners, whereas the m340i just gripped. Very different cars I know, but I did not get on with it.
Also, the boot was not big enough to get golf clubs straight in, without taking the driver out. For me that was the nail in the coffin. Oh and the 128 was mathematically fast enough for anyone, it just did not feel that emphatic. The m340i felt like a step up from the 440gc I was coming from in performance and handling.
Not surprised to hear that the M340i felt more sure footed than the 128ti, especially in heavy rain! Also not surprised that the M340i felt better than the 440GC. I loved the drivetrain in mine but always thought the handling was very average indeed.
As I say, I liked the 128ti, just not enough to rush out and buy one. And Id like to do an extended, unaccompanied test drive when I can push it a lot more.
Getting back in the Mazda did not disappoint. It has a lot less poke than the 128ti but it feels nimble in comparison, especially with the MX-5 style manual. I'll most likely buy it at the end of the contract if there's equity in it and have another look around after that.

Last edited by TodmordenLad; 11-29-2023 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:56 AM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Welcome back!

Think we were both in agreement on the poor handling of the 440i

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Not a 128ti but I had a Golf Gti TCR so I guess pretty similar?

I think fwd hot hatches are great once up an running in the dry but I hate that axle tramp/spinning wheels stuff in the rain. I didn't mind the torque steer as they have that fairly tied down but lighting the tyres up from a junction when you're not even trying to gets tiresome, so I wouldn't have another myself.
      12-05-2023, 05:50 PM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Not a 128ti but I had a Golf Gti TCR so I guess pretty similar?

I think fwd hot hatches are great once up an running in the dry but I hate that axle tramp/spinning wheels stuff in the rain. I didn't mind the torque steer as they have that fairly tied down but lighting the tyres up from a junction when you're not even trying to gets tiresome, so I wouldn't have another myself.
For these reasons mentioned, this is why I've had a couple of Golf R's.

I can't stand spinning wheels, either FWD or RWD... not these days. Great when you are younger I suppose.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2023, 03:51 PM   #18
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I had a longer test drive last Friday at a different dealership, on my own this time. I do like the engine in this car, well suited to the car with a nice throttle response. but the rest of the package is just a bit average, if I'm honest.
I was able to mix B and A roads and the suspension is quite harsh. The car was on 18"s and its not as polished as it should be for a car which is just shy of £40k with no extras. I know its a hot hatch but it should be composed enough to drive as a daily. Ive driven a Mk7 GTi and thats better resolved, imo. Anyway, the 128ti is out if my system now so my search continues..