F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Do you have a man - cave?
proTUNING Freaks

12-13-2023, 04:21 PM   #23
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
As long as the plot is big enough you can build what you want, forget about the actual house….that’s just a minor modifiable detail on the land .
Haha, very true. Budget might be the only slight hiccup on that one

At risk of derailing a thread, this is the spot I liked. I mean I could pull the kayak out the man cave, currently crafty barn, and drag it down to the sea for an after work paddle. It would need some major work but the possibility for an Alladin's toy shed in there has a rather strong appeal!
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      12-14-2023, 11:56 AM   #24
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post

At risk of derailing a thread, this is the spot I liked. I mean I could pull the kayak out the man cave, currently crafty barn, and drag it down to the sea for an after work paddle. It would need some major work but the possibility for an Alladin's toy shed in there has a rather strong appeal!
Very nice, and you could generate some income from the twin bowling alleys
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 03:49 AM   #25
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Won't have many customers, it's in the arse end of no-where

Not my cup of tea at all, but if you like that sort of thing, then I can see the appeal.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 09:57 PM   #26
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:

Certainly appeals to me, though I would be a bit worried about predicted sea level rises!
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      12-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #27
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Ha, I hadn't thought of that...I was more for knocking the mid wall down and opening up the space for car storage and a two post lift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Won't have many customers, it's in the arse end of no-where

Not my cup of tea at all, but if you like that sort of thing, then I can see the appeal.
The house isn't quite what I'd be after, I'd prefer something older and with more character but the view and the space has massive appeal. The ability to go for a paddle in the kayak after work from the end of the garden also seems pretty nice. There's another place I found that is in an amazing location ten miles up a dead end single track road but doesn't have the land to build any meaningful workshop. Then again it's so cheap I could buy land off the estate easily enough and make a workshop and still have change. That one has several hundred square km of wilderness right on its doorstep too which would be pretty incredible to have. One of the cars that'll be going in the shed is a fiery engined Midget (seeing your list of cars) if I ever get around to building it.

As for the bowling alley, I've never tried it, I was thinking more along the lines of creating a bouldering/training wall in one of the sheds. I know enough climbers in that neck of the woods who would be keen to drop by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
Certainly appeals to me, though I would be a bit worried about predicted sea level rises!
Ha, valid point but that just reduces the distance I'd need to drag the kayak
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:53 PM   #28
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ha, I hadn't thought of that...I was more for knocking the mid wall down and opening up the space for car storage and a two post lift!

The house isn't quite what I'd be after, I'd prefer something older and with more character but the view and the space has massive appeal. The ability to go for a paddle in the kayak after work from the end of the garden also seems pretty nice. There's another place I found that is in an amazing location ten miles up a dead end single track road but doesn't have the land to build any meaningful workshop. Then again it's so cheap I could buy land off the estate easily enough and make a workshop and still have change. That one has several hundred square km of wilderness right on its doorstep too which would be pretty incredible to have. One of the cars that'll be going in the shed is a fiery engined Midget (seeing your list of cars) if I ever get around to building it.

As for the bowling alley, I've never tried it, I was thinking more along the lines of creating a bouldering/training wall in one of the sheds. I know enough climbers in that neck of the woods who would be keen to drop by!

Ha, valid point but that just reduces the distance I'd need to drag the kayak
I'm fortunate that we are only a 10 minute walk from the Thames, so many a summer evening is spent on the water in a Kayak / Canoe /SUP (although often leading a bunch of cubs / scouts )
My climbing is restricted to the local climbing wall once a week, but with two kids, being walking distance to civilisation is more important (for them) then being near the outdoors.

And the MGB is unfortunately way down on my time list
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 05:13 PM   #29
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
I'm fortunate that we are only a 10 minute walk from the Thames, so many a summer evening is spent on the water in a Kayak / Canoe /SUP (although often leading a bunch of cubs / scouts )
My climbing is restricted to the local climbing wall once a week, but with two kids, being walking distance to civilisation is more important (for them) then being near the outdoors.

And the MGB is unfortunately way down on my time list
That end of the Thames is lovely, I was on the road down your way last week and aside from the slight issue of too many people, it always strikes me just how nice English villages and countryside are. It's no north west coast line but it's just a really nice, hospitable place.

My local wall is EICA so I'll definitely be missing that when I move north. The new wall in Inverness is a lot better than the old one but it's not a patch on the lead walls of my current local. Then again there are so many amazing crags on real rock within easy reach it does somewhat make up for it. There are lots of central belt crags but they're all a bit grotty and uninspiring, and I've pretty much done all the routes I can do to the point of boredom.

Always the way with project cars, my Impreza's been the same. One of the criteria for the new house is not only a workshop but also some good single track roads right on the doorstep to enjoy the cars to their potential. What state's your B in? My ideal setup in the Midget is a 1.8 Zetec, 6 link back end and Ford axle/box. Mainly because I want to enjoy driving it rather than fixing it!

And just to ensure I don't get shouted at for going too OT, these are one of the things I'd like to have space to display properly in a real 'man cave':

The vague theme is north west hauliers (I was fascinated by the fish hauling trucks up there as a kid), 90's BTCC/WRC/GP.A liveries that I loved, and past/present cars that I've had or my dad's had that I've been in.
Appreciate 4
G50954.50
crAbb1225.50
danb19791897.00
Scoobyd1956.00
      12-18-2023, 04:23 AM   #30
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Ha! snap I too have a collection of the BTCC cars and a couple of Impreza's, not in such a nice display (they're somewhere in a box with other memorabilia)

That lot looks very nice

On the question of a man cave, I used to escape to the garage in the old house on many occasions.....

Name:  20170312_163152 (Medium).jpg
Views: 79
Size:  275.9 KB
Appreciate 2
crAbb1225.50
danb19791897.00
      12-18-2023, 05:24 AM   #31
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Ha! snap I too have a collection of the BTCC cars and a couple of Impreza's, not in such a nice display (they're somewhere in a box with other memorabilia)

That lot looks very nice

On the question of a man cave, I used to escape to the garage in the old house on many occasions.....

Attachment 3345335
Love that Z!
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2119.00
mikeoz2856.00
      12-19-2023, 08:10 AM   #32
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My local wall is EICA so I'll definitely be missing that when I move north. The new wall in Inverness is a lot better than the old one but it's not a patch on the lead walls of my current local. Then again there are so many amazing crags on real rock within easy reach it does somewhat make up for it. There are lots of central belt crags but they're all a bit grotty and uninspiring, and I've pretty much done all the routes I can do to the point of boredom.

Always the way with project cars, my Impreza's been the same. One of the criteria for the new house is not only a workshop but also some good single track roads right on the doorstep to enjoy the cars to their potential. What state's your B in? My ideal setup in the Midget is a 1.8 Zetec, 6 link back end and Ford axle/box. Mainly because I want to enjoy driving it rather than fixing it!
My nearest wall is about a 15 minute walk from my house, at the local leisure centre. It's OK, and I climb there occasionally, but this is where I climb most of the time https://spiderclimbing.com/white-spider/, about a 15 minute drive.

Regarding the MG (and kind of back on topic), progress is slow. I've restored /rebuilt the front suspension, and next job it to put it back on. Then need to look at fitting the new engine, a V8 rover I picked up a while back. I've struggled for time over the summer, and was also trying to track down a bell housing, which I've now done. To be honest I sometimes get overwhelmed by the scale of the task in hand, but getting the bell housing has given me a kick, so should be back on the case shortly. Still a couple of big purchases including new manifold / carbs, and exhaust to come though

One of the nice things about having a decent sized garage (now really back on topic), is the ability to work on it all year round, but also to leave it for a few months when I'm not feeling it, but still being able to get on with other stuff in there.
Appreciate 1
crAbb1225.50