F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > edinburgh
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #1
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

edinburgh

Having decided its been a long time since I ventured north of the border, I am planning a trip to Edinburgh in September. So far that is as far as I have got... so need to decide the means of transport (planes, trains or automobile), where to stay, what to do whilst there, where to eat etc etc

I know there are lots of well travelled people on here so all suggestions welcomed!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
Roo12
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 4 Series GC M Sport +

Malmaisson at Leith is nice + has a car park, along with nice vibe, nice restaurants and not as crowded as Edinburgh but still easily accessible.
Appreciate 3
danb19791898.50
isleaiw18779.50
JustChris17489.00
      07-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Having decided its been a long time since I ventured north of the border, I am planning a trip to Edinburgh in September. So far that is as far as I have got... so need to decide the means of transport (planes, trains or automobile), where to stay, what to do whilst there, where to eat etc etc

I know there are lots of well travelled people on here so all suggestions welcomed!
I think Terry is a good person to ask this question to.

As for transport, I've flown BA business class to Edinburgh a couple of years ago and I really would not call it business class.
You just have the seat next to you blocked (so useless if you are going with a friend) and economy is literally behind you with nothing to seperate you.
Food offerings were also abysmal.

I drove back from there in the Porsche and was recommended a route by Terry which was fabulous.
If I was to do it again (not for the purpose of collecting a car) I would most certainly drive there and back.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #4
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

The Principle in George St is nice and central for most things , as is the Balmoral if you have a few ££ to spare :

Mary Kings Close
Castle
Museum of Scotland (not a patch on the London ones though)
Rose Street if you are a drinker.
Dynamic Earth if you have the grand kids in tow.

Drive up around seven hours / Train four or five hours / Plane an hour ish then the tram into the CC.

K
Appreciate 2
danb19791898.50
isleaiw18779.50
      07-16-2023, 12:23 PM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

When we went to Edinburgh in 2019, we parked for the weekend at Livingston North train station (2 minutes off the motorway) and got the short train journey into Edinburgh.

Note that parking at most Scottish train stations is free to encourage train use. Car parks are large and well-lit, with cameras throughout and usually only one access point to deter crime.

Having driven in the centre of Edinburgh, I'd not want to do it again, and would struggle to see any point in trying to.
Lots of the centre is pedestrianised, parking is very limited and extremely expensive

We stayed in a really nice Airbnb right on Canongate (lower part of the Royal Mile), convenient for everything.
Appreciate 2
danb19791898.50
isleaiw18779.50
      07-16-2023, 12:34 PM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I think Terry is a good person to ask this question to.

As for transport, I've flown BA business class to Edinburgh a couple of years ago and I really would not call it business class.
You just have the seat next to you blocked (so useless if you are going with a friend) and economy is literally behind you with nothing to seperate you.
Food offerings were also abysmal.

I drove back from there in the Porsche and was recommended a route by Terry which was fabulous.
If I was to do it again (not for the purpose of collecting a car) I would most certainly drive there and back.
14 hours of driving doesnt really appeal - quite fancy the train to see the scenery on the way....and of course straight into Waverley Street... probably not much difference in time by time you add in getting to an airport, getting air side etc.

I do know the routes as used to drive often but with a passenger who is nervous at the best of times, probably not the right time!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 12:36 PM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo12 View Post
Malmaisson at Leith is nice + has a car park, along with nice vibe, nice restaurants and not as crowded as Edinburgh but still easily accessible.
went to leith with work once - the Dakota I think. Cant remember much about it other than getting a bollocking from my bosses boss about my expenses - all my bosses fault!

But def one to consider this trip!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 12:37 PM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
When we went to Edinburgh in 2019, we parked for the weekend at Livingston North train station (2 minutes off the motorway) and got the short train journey into Edinburgh.

Note that parking at most Scottish train stations is free to encourage train use. Car parks are large and well-lit, with cameras throughout and usually only one access point to deter crime.

Having driven in the centre of Edinburgh, I'd not want to do it again, and would struggle to see any point in trying to.
Lots of the centre is pedestrianised, parking is very limited and extremely expensive

We stayed in a really nice Airbnb right on Canongate (lower part of the Royal Mile), convenient for everything.
Airbnb, wash your mouth out! not the most popular option for a hotelier....but I'll not rule it out till I see prices!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
      07-16-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
The Principle in George St is nice and central for most things , as is the Balmoral if you have a few ££ to spare :

Mary Kings Close
Castle
Museum of Scotland (not a patch on the London ones though)
Rose Street if you are a drinker.
Dynamic Earth if you have the grand kids in tow.

Drive up around seven hours / Train four or five hours / Plane an hour ish then the tram into the CC.

K
Thanks, Principle sounds good. think Balmoral might be out of my comfortable spend level. Used to stay at Norton House a lot but it a bit out for a short trip....

Things to do sound good, no grandkids this time
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 12:44 PM   #10
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I'm often in Edinburgh for work and never take the car, unless I need kit for a job. Its a right PITA these days and parking is extortionate. Traffic is a total nightmare, especially with the trams now taking up half the roads.
Having said that, the tram is pretty good for getting around, very clean, plenty of them and they're cheap.
Edinburgh is quite compact though so easy to get around on foot.
Train may be your best bet for travelling up. The LNER Azuma trains are fairly quick and efficient, but avoid the onboard coffee (think Baldrick's mud). Saves waiting around at airports and once that's factored in the train is just as quick.
Waverley station is right in the centre just off Princes Street, with the Balmoral Hotel next door and the Royal Mile a 5 min walk to the south. You've also got Haymarket station a mile or two away at the west of the city centre. The Azumas stop at both.
Appreciate 2
danb19791898.50
isleaiw18779.50
      07-16-2023, 12:57 PM   #11
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:

We've just booked the Ibis, Hunter Square for our wedding anniversary in Novemeber.

We'll be getting 1st class train to and from Preston, Lancs - up Thursday, back Saturday.

We haven't done Edinburgh for a few years, so looking forward to going back...

There are some great deals on Booking.com currently; but we really like the Ibis, great prices, lovely rooms and a superb breakfast; don't need anything more really...

We've stopped at the Malmaison a few times, Raddison Blu, The Balmoral & The Scotsman too and all have been good, but they get a bit silly price-wise at times IMO

We've got the Ibis for £280, 2 nights, with breakfast and cancellation up until the day before

We don't want to get hit by the Christmas Markets this time round, so have gone for the week before; but they are lovely if you decide to venture up to Edinburgh at that time of the year too...

Can wholly recommend Camera Obscura, the castle and a good mooch along Rose Street & George Street too...

I'll be visiting the SMWS no doubt whilst up there and one of my fave pubs too (mind yer heed walking in if you're of the taller persuasion)

https://www.queensarmsedinburgh.com/

Last edited by danb1979; 07-16-2023 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #12
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Airbnb, wash your mouth out! not the most popular option for a hotelier....but I'll not rule it out till I see prices!
Agreed - I personally think that Airbnb is quite expensive for what it is, often virtually the same price as a hotel, but the friends who were booking accommodation for the trip think it's wonderful.
Appreciate 2
danb19791898.50
isleaiw18779.50
      07-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #13
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
We booked an apartment for a weekend in carrubers close a year/2 ago. .(family+pets) Spacious and in a bustling area close to the Royal Mile with lots of nearby eat outs and takeaways and freestanding bathtub in the bedroom and parking was at the nearby radisson blu @ £10 a day. Really enjoyed our stay. I can't find that same one on air bn b now or I would have posted a link.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-17-2023, 04:46 AM   #14
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Best way London to Edinburgh is train.
Edinburgh airport is a greedy sorry affair and for who ever said they flew business, anyone could have told you it’s a shuttle flight. All you get is priority check in. Train is faster and cheaper. Also who ever said flight was an hour, it’s get to airport- 45mins from city, checking in >1 hour, flight 75 mins wheels up to down, get off flight etc it’s nearer 5 hours total.
Train also means you don’t need to go on the tram. A universally hated project which us locals aim to avoid.

Edinburgh council hate cars. Roads are well maintained to preserve the 16th century world heritage site feel and parking in the city is expensive unless you know which hotels and back streets to park at.
City is devoid of any good shops due to ECC taxing the nuts out of them but great if you like coffee. You go to Glasgow for shops.

Hotels, like London, woefully dated and overpriced. Or very high standard and over priced. Get an air bnb.

Locals don’t do the city but as a tourist, castle and museum of Scotland are the to dos.
Loads eat locally, Bruntsfield, Leith, Stockbridge.

Try the local beer, Innis and Gunn. It basically Fosters for tourists.
Appreciate 1
danb19791898.50
      07-17-2023, 04:53 AM   #15
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Edinburgh airport is a greedy sorry affair and for who ever said they flew business, anyone could have told you it’s a shuttle flight. All you get is priority check in. Train is faster and cheaper. Also who ever said flight was an hour, it’s get to airport- 45mins from city, checking in >1 hour, flight 75 mins wheels up to down, get off flight etc it’s nearer 5 hours total.
Train also means you don’t need to go on the tram. A universally hated project which us locals aim to avoid.

Edinburgh council hate cars. Roads are well maintained to preserve the 16th century world heritage site feel and parking in the city is expensive unless you know which hotels and back streets to park at.
City is devoid of any good shops due to ECC taxing the nuts out of them but great if you like coffee. You go to Glasgow for shops.

Hotels, like London, woefully dated and overpriced. Or very high standard and over priced. Get an air bnb.

Locals don’t do the city but as a tourist, castle and museum of Scotland are the to dos.

Agree with most of that bar the hotel comments

We've been staying at hotels in Edinburgh since mid 2000s and never had any issues or dealt with silly prices

A lot of them have had some good refurbs and if you look in advance; there are always good deals to be had
isleaiw18779.50
      07-17-2023, 04:55 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post

you sell it so well.....

Hotels are only overpriced to people who dont know how bloody expensive they are to run, and the reason AirBnB is cheaper is that half of them wouldnt have the right insurance, health and safety credentials or declaure income and pay tax. Allegedly

We wont be shopping, can go to London for that!

Trying to decide whether to go for a nice hotel in the heart of the city or head out to Leith for the quieter vibe when not in tourist mode.

I'm unlikely to drink anything like Fosters. Isnt the saying, when in Scotland, stay sober...?
Appreciate 2
danb19791898.50
KRS_SN13538.50
      07-17-2023, 05:06 AM   #17
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Last couple of times to Edinburgh we've stayed in one of the Hubs by Premier Inn, go for a large room, they're still small but we only use hotel as a base to sleep. Only "fancy" hotel we stayed in was House of Gods, it's a love it or hate it kind of place.

The Ivy on the Square and The Dome were both good for meals.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18779.50
      07-17-2023, 05:26 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Last couple of times to Edinburgh we've stayed in one of the Hubs by Premier Inn, go for a large room, they're still small but we only use hotel as a base to sleep. Only "fancy" hotel we stayed in was House of Gods, it's a love it or hate it kind of place.

The Ivy on the Square and The Dome were both good for meals.
I like Premier Inn, they have very good beds, same make that we use (but obvs ours are the slightly more upmarket version!). However, not sure I can bring myself to book an even more basic version - I'm kinda used to really nice hotels.

Thanks for food recommendations.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 05:49 AM   #19
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
you sell it so well.....

Hotels are only overpriced to people who dont know how bloody expensive they are to run, and the reason AirBnB is cheaper is that half of them wouldnt have the right insurance, health and safety credentials or declaure income and pay tax. Allegedly

We wont be shopping, can go to London for that!

Trying to decide whether to go for a nice hotel in the heart of the city or head out to Leith for the quieter vibe when not in tourist mode.

I'm unlikely to drink anything like Fosters. Isnt the saying, when in Scotland, stay sober...?
We nearly booked the Brewdog Hotel; it looks really good and gets good reviews

It's a bit further back behind Waverley. But nothing stupid

The Ibis on Hunter Square is a 10min walk (all up hill/up the steps to the Royal Mile); but it's in a superb location & not silly £££ at all
isleaiw18779.50
      07-17-2023, 06:07 AM   #20
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:

Lots of decent beers that don't include Brewdog! The hanging bat at the top of Lothian road is good for craft beers. It's a little pretentious and preppy but the beer's nice and they do good bar snacks like wings and burgers etc.

I'd probably not stay in Leith as it's just a bit too far out and there's not much to do down there as it's a bit industrial/council. Better to stay in the centre and then go down that way when you'd prefer something different. And I know Pentland said the locals avoid the tram but it's actually pretty decent, I use it when I need to head into the office and it's fast and straightforward. The locals are just still pissed at how much it cost and that it's mainly for a fast route into the city from the west (a job it does very well).

September should hopefully not be too manic but you'll find stuff to do for sure, and just walking around the old and new town is really nice. Lots of good coffee shops to intersperse wanders with too. Princes street is pretty dead these days thanks to the rebuilt St James Centre so other than Waterstones it's pretty much discount stores and tourist tartan tat stores. The castle is good, and the camera obscura is worth a visit while you're up there too. Dynamic Earth is interesting if you're into that sort of stuff. You've got Edinburgh Zoo too although I think the best bit is actually the view you get over the city from the top of the hill! Another one might be a trip to South Queensferry if you can time the trains right, it's a lovely spot on a nice day and if you walk along the shore to the east you get some nice views. Orinoco and the Hawes Inn are both good for food but best booking rather than just arriving on prospect. You can get a nice view from Orinoco with the evening sun if you get the right table too.
Appreciate 2
danb19791898.50
isleaiw18779.50
      07-17-2023, 06:16 AM   #21
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

The Royal Yacht Britannia is worth a visit if you haven't been before.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18779.50
Roo1283.00
      07-17-2023, 06:18 AM   #22
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Lots of decent beers that don't include Brewdog!
Fully agree! The hotel looks good; gets good reviews for their accommodation & breakfasts etc

Certainly wouldn't make their beer a priority

For me I'm an ale & whisky drinker; hence the visit to SMWS whilst I'm there

But for me, long gone are the days of a good pint of 80 Shilling unless I've been looking in the wrong spots!

I'm a fan of Stewart Brewing; regularly get their 5l mini kegs around Christmas Time; nice to have a wide variation of beers in the garage

Their 80 Shilling & Edinburgh Gold are good beers