F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Luton Airport car park fire
Extreme Powerhouse

10-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #45
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep
Drives: Fiat Stilo estate mapped

Funny thread this
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 12:30 AM   #46
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
Funny thread this
I blame the drivers who were silly enough to park next to car that caught fire. If only they went on a defensive parking course this whole thing could have been avoided.
Appreciate 2
MY340i721.00
Ennoch2257.00
      10-13-2023, 01:27 AM   #47
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I do find it interesting when middle management will argue and argue to keep something in place that's clearly a poor action, while senior management are either comfortable enough in their role or clearly have the greater autonomy to overrule something daft. Whether it's down to feeling empowered to make the decision, or being more feeling more constricted with performance for bonuses etc I don't know but I do find more junior managers are rarely the ones to just say 'WTF is that? We need to do something'.
Yep, [lack of] empowerment, blame culture and incentivisation are key root causes. The first two in particular have very destructive effects over the long term. Incentivisation - well you need to think of the downsides you're incentivising as well as the upsides.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      10-13-2023, 01:29 AM   #48
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I blame the drivers who were silly enough to park next to car that caught fire. If only they went on a defensive parking course this whole thing could have been avoided.
It’s not the original content which is of course is completely serious and wholly unfortunate for those involved it’s the responses about the usual EV debate and then hotel algorithms etc

Anyway back on track, I’ve not read a great deal about the actual incident but was there a sprinkler system or are they not able to put out EV / hybrid battery fires anyway?

I’d imagine people who have an integrated garage at home would be quite reluctant to house their EV / hybrid in one, however I’d imagine that few garages are used for their intend purpose anyway?

Some of these fires are nasty but it’s not just EV / hybrid that cause them I think the one in Liverpool a few years back was an older Land Rover.

Must be a JLR thing

Last edited by MrManor; 10-13-2023 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      10-13-2023, 01:39 AM   #49
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
I think in this case it is just blatant profiteering . very much doubt there is a "code" for a vehicle catching fire and leaving 1500 vehicles unusable at an airport multi-storey and 3000+ people needing to hire a car within a relativity short period of time.

They were handed a golden ticket when peoples back are against the wall and they took it , some say it is good business sense others would see it as yet another rip off.

K
It just won't be as human as you think it is. As others have said, there will be complex algorithms and automation behind it. At its simplest, as predicted supply of car type A runs short, raise prices.

Almost certainly provided by vendor software used across much of the industry, that has been 'tuned' for the business needs.

To change that, first a human has to decide to want to. That may be an empowered individual or it may take time, meetings, approvals. Then the people with the configuration skills, who may be business or technical folk, have to swing in to make the change.

Then there is the complexity behind the human decision of, ok we know we have 200 cars on site. That fulfils normal demand, and many of our regular and corporate customers are incoming (they will know their data). We now weigh the risk of damaging those long term relationships or damaging the reputation and upsetting largely one off customers in an emergency.

Finally, the tab for this is largely picked up by insurers. Does a car hire company take a voluntary profit hit to save insurance companies money?

Luton Airport SHOULD have done something to get people home. Buses to major cities etc.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      10-13-2023, 02:55 AM   #50
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
It’s not the original content which is of course is completely serious and wholly unfortunate for those involved it’s the responses about the usual EV debate and then hotel algorithms etc

Anyway back on track, I’ve not read a great deal about the actual incident but was there a sprinkler system or are they not able to put out EV / hybrid battery fires anyway?

I’d imagine people who have an integrated garage at home would be quite reluctant to house their EV / hybrid in one, however I’d imagine that few garages are used for their intend purpose anyway?

Some of these fires are nasty but it’s not just EV / hybrid that cause them I think the one in Liverpool a few years back was an older Land Rover.

Must be a JLR thing
Apparently no sprinkler system. To be fair, they are pretty expensive to install and even more painful to maintain, especially when they are a few decades old, and the insurance cost impact of adding / removing is negligible.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 03:18 AM   #51
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I suspect it will be claim off your own policy and then look for someone to reimburse which may take years - but as and when I know something I'll let you know....

what i can say is disclaimer of liability signs are great to bat claims away initially but they dont stand up very well in court....
Which insurer bears the cost of rebuilding the car park ? The owner/operator or the insurer of the vehicle which triggered the fire ?

I assume its the owner/operator, with the (presumably very high) cost of the premium simply built in to the car parking charges.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 03:23 AM   #52
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Which insurer bears the cost of rebuilding the car park ? The owner/operator or the insurer of the vehicle which triggered the fire ?

I assume its the owner/operator, with the (presumably very high) cost of the premium simply built in to the car parking charges.
I am sure they will be trying to recover it - first thing will be looking at the lease to see who is responsible for what...do they have a maintaining and repairing lease or just a short term use lease?

Suspect the third party cap on an individuals personal car policy wont cover the extent of damage here...
Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      10-13-2023, 05:04 AM   #53
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:

Must be a JLR thing
I've read from a post by an engineer who for the past 30 years has studied fires in relation to garages and his recommendation was never to park the EV inside the garage.
If it catches fire 700 kg of lithium ion probably guts out things much more faster and with savagery than 70 litres of petrol can.

An EV lithium traction battery burns hotter than an ICE vehicle. A burning ICE car may reach 815 degrees celsius, an EV up to 2760 degrees celsius.
https://www.evfiresafe.com/ev-fire-key-findings
Appreciate 2
crAbb1225.50
Alscoob2119.00
      10-13-2023, 05:25 AM   #54
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I've read from a post by an engineer who for the past 30 years has studied fires in relation to garages and his recommendation was never to park the EV inside the garage.
If it catches fire 700 kg of lithium ion probably guts out things much more faster and with savagery than 70 litres of petrol can.

An EV lithium traction battery burns hotter than an ICE vehicle. A burning ICE car may reach 815 degrees celsius, an EV up to 2760 degrees celsius.
Jesus
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 05:41 AM   #55
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post

Wow. That's frightening
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 05:47 AM   #56
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Apparently no sprinkler system. To be fair, they are pretty expensive to install and even more painful to maintain, especially when they are a few decades old, and the insurance cost impact of adding / removing is negligible.
I guess the decision to include a system like that is financial, but to me it's a situation where unless either financially or legally forced to, a company is unlikely to 'do the right thing'. However, how much water flow would actually be required in a sprinkler to control an EV fire, let alone put it out? This absolutely isn't a dig at EV's, more that there are clearly things which need to perhaps be tweaked to suit the different needs that they clearly have in some situations given the amount of energy stored in them, irrespective of whether they're charged or not!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18775.50
      10-13-2023, 10:14 AM   #57
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

In this case the initial claims will go through the individual vehicle’s insurance companies. They will then seek to recover their costs from the originating vehicle’s insurer. Given the originating vehicle here is essentially new and within warranty, that insurer will likely seek recompense from JLR on the basis of it being caused by a manufacturing fault. Same flow will exist for the airport insurer in respect the building damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #58
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
In this case the initial claims will go through the individual vehicle’s insurance companies. They will then seek to recover their costs from the originating vehicle’s insurer. Given the originating vehicle here is essentially new and within warranty, that insurer will likely seek recompense from JLR on the basis of it being caused by a manufacturing fault. Same flow will exist for the airport insurer in respect the building damage.
The cap on the individuals motor policy 3rd party liability is likely to be £1.2m so unless they can get JLR to pay, there are going to be alot of costs met by the other car (and property) owners...

(according to Google, the £1.2m may be a bit out of date but unlikely to be over £5m...)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:43 AM   #59
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Give you an update on our situation as we get ready to head back to the UK for those who are interested...

Aviva, our insurance, has got organised and made a few decisions - excess is not required for a claim due to the nature of this incidence - this was low for us, but some people would have had high excesses so its good news.

They have also decided this will not impact no claims bonus (ours was protected, but for those that weren't its good).

We have a courtesy car agreed for early next week, so this is a change to the position 48hrs ago -it will run indefinitely until they get more site access/info.

They will refund costs for getting home (up to £150 on our policy).

Their own assessors cannot access the site, so they don't anticipate having any information on the cars/site/problem till middle of next week.
Appreciate 6
KRS_SN13537.00
RhysoTDI180.50
Ennoch2257.00
SR-2585.50
JustChris17487.50
      10-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #60
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Give you an update on our situation as we get ready to head back to the UK for those who are interested...

Aviva, our insurance, has got organised and made a few decisions - excess is not required for a claim due to the nature of this incidence - this was low for us, but some people would have had high excesses so its good news.

They have also decided this will not impact no claims bonus (ours was protected, but for those that weren't its good).

We have a courtesy car agreed for early next week, so this is a change to the position 48hrs ago -it will run indefinitely until they get more site access/info.

They will refund costs for getting home (up to £150 on our policy).

Their own assessors cannot access the site, so they don't anticipate having any information on the cars/site/problem till middle of next week.
That sounds pretty impressive by Aviva, hope you have a good flight back and the car situation gets resolved as quickly as possible...
Appreciate 2
speedski547.00
Ennoch2257.00
      10-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #61
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
That sounds pretty impressive by Aviva, hope you have a good flight back and the car situation gets resolved as quickly as possible...
Thanks - indeed it seems the insurance companies are trying to look somewhat shiny out of this - one girl already got hers written off by Hastings Direct - based on what logic I really don't get.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 06:09 AM   #62
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Rumours online suggest that floors fire extinguisher was empty - if true that might put liability back on the car park owner?

Still no word beyond a (PHEV?) diesel Land Rover as the cause. I can see the mail and the sun hoping and praying it was an EV to suit their narrative. I’m sure they will make it up anyway.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      10-17-2023, 11:12 AM   #63
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Thanks - indeed it seems the insurance companies are trying to look somewhat shiny out of this - one girl already got hers written off by Hastings Direct - based on what logic I really don't get.
Indeed, that is surprising. Normally insurance companies don't take anybody else's word for anything. Their assessor has to see and touch before they take any action. "So what if ANPR says Speedski's car is in the burned out car park. Until our bloke sees it, it isn't". Rare outbreak of common sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:52 PM   #64
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Rumours online suggest that floors fire extinguisher was empty - if true that might put liability back on the car park owner?

Still no word beyond a (PHEV?) diesel Land Rover as the cause. I can see the mail and the sun hoping and praying it was an EV to suit their narrative. I’m sure they will make it up anyway.
I suspect, if true, that will form part of a class action against the car park provider, who, up to now has completely absolved themselves of anything - well apart from cancelling the parking booking of a car already in the car park and taking the full amount for the whole stay despite it happening half way through (unless they take a abnormally long to process the refund here of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Indeed, that is surprising. Normally insurance companies don't take anybody else's word for anything. Their assessor has to see and touch before they take any action. "So what if ANPR says Speedski's car is in the burned out car park. Until our bloke sees it, it isn't". Rare outbreak of common sense?
Turns out today they confirmed all cars are a write off and they made an offer for the car, like I said before it wasn't worth much (monetarily speaking) but the offer is well below any trader-offered car of the same age/spec so pushed the offer back for review (we're already well out of pocket through no fault here).

Also now looking for a JCW or another 128ti - the latter of which seem to be dropping in value a bit...which makes this a little easier to stomach right now.

Interestingly important note, don't keep your V5 in the car. And if you do, ensure you have a note of the VIN at home.

Reason being is the V5 was in the car, and to take the plate off I need the V5 and to get a replacement V5 I need the VIN. Currently caught in DVLA no mans land so need to speak to the 'specialist team' tomorrow on that.

Last edited by speedski; 10-17-2023 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      10-17-2023, 01:31 PM   #65
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post

The car could be cloned or have fake plates - perfect scam for free holiday parking I’d imagine. They should check VINs to ID cars if possible.

Quote:
Interestingly important note, don't keep your V5 in the car. And if you do, ensure you have a note of the VIN at home.
I’d have thought it common sense never to leave the v5 in the car in any circumstances
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #66
speedski
Major
Rep

Yep, unfortunately it had just been serviced and the service book wallet that's usually in the house with all the docs was still in the car. Unfortunate coincidence? Yes. Stupid yes.
Appreciate 3
Pentland1725.00
Ennoch2257.00
isleaiw18775.50