F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 335i brake pad help
Studio RSR

10-28-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

335i brake pad help

Hey guys!

I promise I have searched but I don't think I'm searching the right thing.

I am trying to work out brake pads for my car. I have the grey 340mm front and sliding 330mm rear caliper.

I think I have found my front pads - Ferodo DS Uno part number FCP4611 (I'm pretty sure this is right)

Do Ferodo make a DS2500 for the rear? If so what's the part number? Otherwise does anyone have any part numbers for decent pads that fit the stock 330mm rear?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Toby
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

I have the same brake setup as you and went through a similar problem trying to find more track-suitable pads. As you have with the Ferodo, you will find a tonne of options for the fronts since the 4 pot Brembo calipers/pad shape are shared across basically every form of brake upgrade. The bad news is, almost everyone has made pads for the 2 pot Brembo rears.

The only option I (and my mechanic) was able to find are StopTech Sport pads, so that's what I went with (and some new Zimmerman rotors). While they aren't at the performance level of something like a Ferodo DS or a Pagid RSL, they're definitely a big step up from OE pads. I've since put a couple track days on them and they felt a lot better and I didn't get any fade from them (I did with OE pads).

Part numbers are 309.16090 (fronts) and 309.16100 (rears). I bought from BimmerWorld.

Front: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/S...2-F83-F87.html

Rear: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/S...3-F34-F36.html
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2021, 02:26 AM   #3
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Man, thanks for confirming I wasn't going nuts. I'm tempted to just upgrade the rears to give me more options
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
Man, thanks for confirming I wasn't going nuts. I'm tempted to just upgrade the rears to give me more options
Yeah It's somewhat unfortunate. That's honestly a pretty good idea if you plan on keeping the car for a while IMO
Appreciate 2
Tobz_au245.00
      11-15-2021, 03:53 AM   #5
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Hawk makes pads for the 330 sliding caliper rear in pretty much any of their compounds you want. You just need to find a shop that can order direct from them. I ran the DTC 30 for some time. It's much more aggressive and has a higher temperature threshold than the DS2500, so it should pair a little better with the DS UNO pads you have. Incidentally, that's exactly the setup for pads I'll be running next time at the track, I just don't know when that'll be.
If you want, here's the Hawk part number for the rear DTC30 pads for the sliding caliper:

HB624B.642
Appreciate 2
Tobz_au245.00
      11-15-2021, 04:11 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Hawk makes pads for the 330 sliding caliper rear in pretty much any of their compounds you want. You just need to find a shop that can order direct from them. I ran the DTC 30 for some time. It's much more aggressive and has a higher temperature threshold than the DS2500, so it should pair a little better with the DS UNO pads you have. Incidentally, that's exactly the setup for pads I'll be running next time at the track, I just don't know when that'll be.
If you want, here's the Hawk part number for the rear DTC30 pads for the sliding caliper:

HB765W.664
Why would someone need to find a shop that can order direct from Hawk? There are dozens of retailers who sell Hawk pads.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

HB765W.664
Why would someone need to find a shop that can order direct from Hawk? There are dozens of retailers who sell Hawk pads.
The reason would be that it's hard to find any place that has or offers the rear sliding piston standard M Sport caliper pads in any track oriented compounds. However if the place you're getting them from knows how to order or has a contact at Hawk, they can put the right part number for the compound you want. That may or may not be the case now for these or other pads as this was a few years ago. From what I understand trying to order them through VAC, they talked with their contact at Hawk, and it seemed pretty much any pad shape they have can be ordered for any compound they have, there just needs to be the right specification in the part number. I think the 3rd letter, which is the 6th digit in hawk's part numbers, specifies the compound. I found some places either didn't know how to do this, didn't want to or just didn't have the contact to figure it out.
Certainly not many places carried the track oriented pads for the sliding rear calipers back in 2017 when I started tracking. There's more availability now. So perhaps more places can get the compounds you want.
Btw, I posted the front pad part number by accident previously. I've corrected the number. But I've just done a little looking and it seems this part number is no longer valid. It looks like it's replaced by: HB835R.649
Also of note, that part number is for the Street Race pad. I don't remember why I went with that at the time, but it's the same compound as the DTC30. The difference is the street race pads are chamfered, have backing plates and may have the balancers on them. The full race pads are bare bones track pads. So I got the DTC30 fronts and Street Race rear then. Same compounds, different pad structure.
Appreciate 3
Itogliano102.00
Tobz_au245.00
      11-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

HB765W.664
The reason would be that it's hard to find any place that has or offers the rear sliding piston standard M Sport caliper pads in any track oriented compounds. However if the place you're getting them from knows how to order or has a contact at Hawk, they can put the right part number for the compound you want. That may or may not be the case now for these or other pads as this was a few years ago. From what I understand trying to order them through VAC, they talked with their contact at Hawk, and it seemed pretty much any pad shape they have can be ordered for any compound they have, there just needs to be the right specification in the part number. I think the 3rd letter, which is the 6th digit in hawk's part numbers, specifies the compound. I found some places either didn't know how to do this, didn't want to or just didn't have the contact to figure it out.
Certainly not many places carried the track oriented pads for the sliding rear calipers back in 2017 when I started tracking. There's more availability now. So perhaps more places can get the compounds you want.
Btw, I posted the front pad part number by accident previously. I've corrected the number. But I've just done a little looking and it seems this part number is no longer valid. It looks like it's replaced by: HB835R.649
Also of note, that part number is for the Street Race pad. I don't remember why I went with that at the time, but it's the same compound as the DTC30. The difference is the street race pads are chamfered, have backing plates and may have the balancers on them. The full race pads are bare bones track pads. So I got the DTC30 fronts and Street Race rear then. Same compounds, different pad structure.
Okay, I understand what you are saying now. For track pad information I often call Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where were you when I was ordering pads
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #10
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Quote:
Where were you when I was ordering pads
Hahaha Sorry my friend. Been MIA this year.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #11
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So much good information! I wouldn't have bothered getting the brembo 345mm rears if i knew this

But hopefully can help someone else into the future

And I also love the DS Uno front and DS2500 rear combo on track, gives a really good braking balance.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
So much good information! I wouldn't have bothered getting the brembo 345mm rears if i knew this

But hopefully can help someone else into the future

And I also love the DS Uno front and DS2500 rear combo on track, gives a really good braking balance.
Did you track either compound as a front and rear set before the mix and match? I am on DS2500 front and rear and only have been to autocross so far. The bite is berre than oe.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #13
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Did you track either compound as a front and rear set before the mix and match? I am on DS2500 front and rear and only have been to autocross so far. The bite is berre than oe.
I don't think he would've been able to since the original issue was he wasn't able to find pads in that/those compounds for the rear sliding caliper

EDIT: Nevermind. I see what you're saying, I'm an idiot.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 05:36 AM   #14
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hey so sorry for the delay responding.

I've used the DS Uno/DS2500 previously on my R34 skyline and it worked really well. So have decided to do the same for this car.

I've just put the pads in the car (swapped the rears to 345mm twin pistons) so will report back after I get it going.

I did try the OEM pads on a hill climb last month. Man they sucked.

I am worried the fronts will overheat though as the 350mm rotors may be too small. But I guess we will find out soon!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #15
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey so sorry for the delay responding.

I've used the DS Uno/DS2500 previously on my R34 skyline and it worked really well. So have decided to do the same for this car.

I've just put the pads in the car (swapped the rears to 345mm twin pistons) so will report back after I get it going.

I did try the OEM pads on a hill climb last month. Man they sucked.

I am worried the fronts will overheat though as the 350mm rotors may be too small. But I guess we will find out soon!
Did you follow a tutorial for the 345 swap? If so, can you link it? It's something I've been kind of thinking about doing in the future so I like to have as many resources as possible.

FWIW I have the 340/330 F/R setup and didn't have any issue with rotors overheating. That's obviously going to be somewhat dependent on your driving and the track. Granted I wasn't driving at 10/10, more like 8/10 and the tracks I go to really only have one proper big braking zone.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 01:54 AM   #16
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Did you follow a tutorial for the 345 swap? If so, can you link it? It's something I've been kind of thinking about doing in the future so I like to have as many resources as possible.

FWIW I have the 340/330 F/R setup and didn't have any issue with rotors overheating. That's obviously going to be somewhat dependent on your driving and the track. Granted I wasn't driving at 10/10, more like 8/10 and the tracks I go to really only have one proper big braking zone.
Nah no tutorial, it's a pretty simple swap.

Take the old caliper off (two boots on the back), make sure the hand brake is not engaged, pull the rotor off

Buy the 345 caliper and rotor (there's two types of rear rotors depending on the size of your handbrake drum, but a quick google will sort that out).

Pop the new rotor on, bolt on the new caliper and then undo the brake line from the old caliper and swap to the new one. Bleed your brakes and you're done!

I did a few things all at once including the KW V3's, MHD Stage 2 and the Brake Pads and Rotors.... The car feels 100% better now. Went from being a luxury barge to a sports car! Loving it!
Appreciate 2