F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Over heating issue
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
BimmerBoy007
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Houston Tx

iTrader: (0)

Over heating issue

I am having problems with my car overheating. Ive scanned the car and also had it diagnosed at an bmw Indy shop. For some reason no codes are popping up stating water pump failure but the connector is corroded and damaged. They are wanting to replace the whole water pump for $1200 but i do not think that is the problem. I am planning on replacing the connector with another pig tail from junkyard by cutting old one and splicing it in. Bmw unfortunately does not selll this unit by itself. Does anyone have any experience or insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
Phantom10R
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
517
Rep
1,787
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i, 2015 X3 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chelsea, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoy007 View Post
I am having problems with my car overheating. Ive scanned the car and also had it diagnosed at an bmw Indy shop. For some reason no codes are popping up stating water pump failure but the connector is corroded and damaged. They are wanting to replace the whole water pump for $1200 but i do not think that is the problem. I am planning on replacing the connector with another pig tail from junkyard by cutting old one and splicing it in. Bmw unfortunately does not selll this unit by itself. Does anyone have any experience or insight on this?
if you're over 60k miles just do the water pump. 1200 is a bit much though. I paid 835 including 6% sales tax for the waterpump and thermostat on the x3 and its the same thing.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2015 335i xDrive 11.37@121.9mph w/bm3 ots map
2015 X3 x35i pwg 12.96 catless w/bm3 stage 2 93 ots

IG: @N55David For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
BimmerBoy007
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Houston Tx

iTrader: (0)

Yes I’m contemplating just doing the water pump but I’m not having any codes being thrown and can see the coolant flowing through overflow tank when the top is off so I’m not understanding why my engine is over heating. And the Indy shop i went to was definitely over priced. $800 sound more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #4
Phantom10R
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
517
Rep
1,787
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i, 2015 X3 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chelsea, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoy007 View Post
Yes I'm contemplating just doing the water pump but I'm not having any codes being thrown and can see the coolant flowing through overflow tank when the top is off so I'm not understanding why my engine is over heating. And the Indy shop i went to was definitely over priced. $800 sound more reasonable.
I had no codes either
__________________
2015 335i xDrive 11.37@121.9mph w/bm3 ots map
2015 X3 x35i pwg 12.96 catless w/bm3 stage 2 93 ots

IG: @N55David For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
2665
Rep
9,420
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoy007 View Post
Yes I'm contemplating just doing the water pump but I'm not having any codes being thrown and can see the coolant flowing through overflow tank when the top is off so I'm not understanding why my engine is over heating. And the Indy shop i went to was definitely over priced. $800 sound more reasonable.
The vehicle has various operating profiles and either the pump is unable to keep up or the thermostat is getting lazy.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2791
Rep
5,433
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Let me ask this question - how do you know you are overheating? What coolant temps are you seeing? Are you getting warning messages?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
BimmerBoy007
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Houston Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The vehicle has various operating profiles and either the pump is unable to keep up or the thermostat is getting lazy.
Yes i am having my pump replaced tomorrow hopefully this will fix the problem. I will update.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
BimmerBoy007
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Houston Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Let me ask this question - how do you know you are overheating? What coolant temps are you seeing? Are you getting warning messages?
I stared receiving engine temp warning then few minutes later engine over heating will driving just a few miles from home. This all happened the day after I changed the spark plugs, before then never had any engine temp warning. Also i have tracked my temp using bimmer link at around 115c when i get the warnings.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2791
Rep
5,433
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoy007 View Post
I stared receiving engine temp warning then few minutes later engine over heating will driving just a few miles from home. This all happened the day after I changed the spark plugs, before then never had any engine temp warning. Also i have tracked my temp using bimmer link at around 115c when i get the warnings.
Yeah that's a little high, but i have seen around 110c/230F under normal driving before.

From the N55 engine manual:

Engine cooling
The engine cooling system utilizes an electric coolant pump. The heat management determines the current cooling requirement and controls the cooling system accordingly. Under certain circumstances, the coolant pump can be completely switched off, e.g. to rapidly heat up the coolant during the warm-up phase. The coolant pump continues to operate when the hot engine is shut down. The coolant capacity can therefore be varied regardless of the engine speed. In addition to the characteristic map thermostat, the heat management makes it possible to use various characteristic maps for controlling the coolant pump. In this way the engine control unit can adapt the engine temperature to the driving conditions.

The engine control unit regulates the following temperature ranges:
108C/226F = Economy mode
104C/219F = Normal mode
95C/203F = High mode
90C/194F = High mode and control with characteristic map thermostat

The engine management sets a higher temperature (108C) when, based on vehicle operation, the engine control unit detects Economy mode. The engine is operated with relatively low fuel requirements in this temperature range. The internal engine friction is reduced at higher temperatures. The increase in temperature therefore results in low fuel consumption in the low load range. The driver wishes to utilize the optimum power developed by the engine in High and control with characteristic map thermostat mode. For this purpose, the temperature in the cylinder head is reduced to 90C. This temperature reduction promotes improved volumetric efficiency, thus resulting in an increased engine torque. Adapted to the relevant driving situation, the engine control unit can now regulate a defined operating range. In this way it is possible to influence the fuel consumption and power output through the cooling system.

System Protection
If the coolant or the engine oil overheat during operation, certain vehicle functions are
influenced to the effect that more energy is available to the engine cooling system.

These measures are divided over two operating modes:

Component protection
- Coolant temperature between 117C/242F and 124C/255F
- Engine oil temperature between 150C/300F and 157C/314F
- Result: The output of the air conditioning system
(up to 100%) and of the engine is reduced

Emergency
- Coolant temperature between 125C/257F and 129C/264F
- Engine oil temperature between 158C/316F and 163C/325F
- Result: The power output of the engine is reduced
(up to 90%)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #10
BimmerBoy007
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Houston Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah that's a little high, but i have seen around 110c/230F under normal driving before.

From the N55 engine manual:

Engine cooling
The engine cooling system utilizes an electric coolant pump. The heat management determines the current cooling requirement and controls the cooling system accordingly. Under certain circumstances, the coolant pump can be completely switched off, e.g. to rapidly heat up the coolant during the warm-up phase. The coolant pump continues to operate when the hot engine is shut down. The coolant capacity can therefore be varied regardless of the engine speed. In addition to the characteristic map thermostat, the heat management makes it possible to use various characteristic maps for controlling the coolant pump. In this way the engine control unit can adapt the engine temperature to the driving conditions.

The engine control unit regulates the following temperature ranges:
108C/226F = Economy mode
104C/219F = Normal mode
95C/203F = High mode
90C/194F = High mode and control with characteristic map thermostat

The engine management sets a higher temperature (108C) when, based on vehicle operation, the engine control unit detects Economy mode. The engine is operated with relatively low fuel requirements in this temperature range. The internal engine friction is reduced at higher temperatures. The increase in temperature therefore results in low fuel consumption in the low load range. The driver wishes to utilize the optimum power developed by the engine in High and control with characteristic map thermostat mode. For this purpose, the temperature in the cylinder head is reduced to 90C. This temperature reduction promotes improved volumetric efficiency, thus resulting in an increased engine torque. Adapted to the relevant driving situation, the engine control unit can now regulate a defined operating range. In this way it is possible to influence the fuel consumption and power output through the cooling system.

System Protection
If the coolant or the engine oil overheat during operation, certain vehicle functions are
influenced to the effect that more energy is available to the engine cooling system.

These measures are divided over two operating modes:

Component protection
- Coolant temperature between 117C/242F and 124C/255F
- Engine oil temperature between 150C/300F and 157C/314F
- Result: The output of the air conditioning system
(up to 100%) and of the engine is reduced

Emergency
- Coolant temperature between 125C/257F and 129C/264F
- Engine oil temperature between 158C/316F and 163C/325F
- Result: The power output of the engine is reduced
(up to 90%)
Thanks for this! Yes when my car was getting diagnosed they said at one point it reached 120C. Ive also noticed that my heater is not working at all and was perfectly fine before car started over heating that is why Im assuming it is the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #11
BimmerBoy007
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Houston Tx

iTrader: (0)

Just wanted to update, after water pump was replaced car stopped over heating. Thank for all the help!
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST