F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bmw 330e exhaust tips
Studio RSR

05-02-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
jsansom
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Bmw 330e exhaust tips

Hello all,

I have been trying to search for the best option to replace the chrome exhaust tips my BMW 330e m sport (2016 year). However much i clean them them keep going black and have a pitted appearance.

I looked under the exhaust to see how they remove but it looks like they need a garage to replace them / need cutting off? can anyone confirm if they are soldered on/have to be cut off to replace and any links to a good set of tips please? My BMW is the midnight grey colour. I have attached a photo of the exhaust I have. I'm also in the UK.

Thought maybe some black carbon type ones,I have seen some but they include a muffler which I guess makes them sound different.

Thanks for any help / advice.
J
https://photos.app.goo.gl/efC65n8P7xU9iBpw7

Last edited by jsansom; 05-02-2020 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Add photo
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

I don't know if I can help you but just let you know what I know:
There's usually an OEM alternative (black vs chrome). If you change to black, the problem would be let obvious. That is what I did, I changed the chrome on my car into black. To do this, you will first have to find out the part number for the alternative you want. Once you've found it, swapping one for the other is within the ability of most people, usually involving knocking gently the old one out and pushing the new one in. Some may involve some cutting and clamping, depending on the models, but all should be simple (You can usually find instructions on youtube). The swapping is so easy (once you've done it) that I now plan to take them out to clean them whenever this is needed, so now the chrome pair I've got can be of service again
Sorry for not being able to be very specific because my exhaust tips are different from yours.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

J - your tips should slide right off/on. They're just held on with metal-springs. They might need a gentle whack to move them after they've been in-place for while. There should be an orienting 'rivet' affixed to the top of your exhaust pipe(s) end that a replacement OEM-style tip will fit.

I believe you can get oem BMW tips to fit for your car - they typically come in both chrome or black. (Check RealOEM or your typical BMW parts supplier). And some aftermarket tips also come with the BMW tip 'notch' in their top sides to slide on and fit into the exhaust pipe 'rivet'.
      05-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
jsansom
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTee View Post
I don't know if I can help you but just let you know what I know:
There's usually an OEM alternative (black vs chrome). If you change to black, the problem would be let obvious. That is what I did, I changed the chrome on my car into black. To do this, you will first have to find out the part number for the alternative you want. Once you've found it, swapping one for the other is within the ability of most people, usually involving knocking gently the old one out and pushing the new one in. Some may involve some cutting and clamping, depending on the models, but all should be simple (You can usually find instructions on youtube). The swapping is so easy (once you've done it) that I now plan to take them out to clean them whenever this is needed, so now the chrome pair I've got can be of service again
Sorry for not being able to be very specific because my exhaust tips are different from yours.
Thanks for the info, I have seen a video where someone is using a piece of wood to knock the tips off so I will look into it.
Black will definitely be less obvious showing the dirt.

Appreciate your help.
J
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
jsansom
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
J - your tips should slide right off/on. They're just held on with metal-springs. They might need a gentle whack to move them after they've been in-place for while. There should be an orienting 'rivet' affixed to the top of your exhaust pipe(s) end that a replacement OEM-style tip will fit.

I believe you can get oem BMW tips to fit for your car - they typically come in both chrome or black. (Check RealOEM or your typical BMW parts supplier). And some aftermarket tips also come with the BMW tip 'notch' in their top sides to slide on and fit into the exhaust pipe 'rivet'.
Thanks also for your advice, I will look at the sites you advised for OEM black tips.

Have a good weekend
J
Appreciate 0