F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Xhp Transmission Flash
proTUNING Freaks

10-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #287
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Nope, it's how it's made, if you want to have fast shifts, slap the transmission to the left, and put it on sport/sport+

I've learned to live with it and it really doesn't bother me as comfort is meant for comfort.
Alrighty, its not a deal breaker necessarily but would definitely be nice to add as a customizable option in the future. Thank you for the response.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #288
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Hello all, I have read through this 13 page forum. I apologize if this has been answered already but I have not found a concise discussion or fix for this anywhere on the forums. I recently flashed XHP stage 2 on my 2014 335I xdrive. I currently have BM3 stage 1 with an upgraded charge pipe/fmic. I have noticed that comfort mode is smoother but shifts noticeably slower than stock. This isnt so much of problem, but when im in comfort and trying to use manual mode, there is legitimately a 1 second delay between me pulling the shifter and it actually shifting.. I understand XHP modifies the DEC & D/S function but is there anyway to fix this? This does not happen in Sport or Sport+, only in comfort.
The shifts sound a little slow but it's been several months since I tried all the XHP map options, and I've been running Stage 3 since about the first week of first flashing the AT.

Stage 3 is really all you need. Comfort is still comfortable (and much more responsive than stock), Sport/+ and manual are very quick to respond.

There's always the option to flash 'soft shifts on Sport' if you wanted to take the edge off the shifts. I've found that they can be a bit jerky, especially on downshifts.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #289
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I’m going to play around with downshifts to take the edge off. Seen a few recommend 2-1st -15% 3-2 -10% and 4-3 -5% so will prob be my starting point.
Appreciate 1
Eddamoo388.00
      10-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #290
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Am i the only one not happy with their XHP? Ive done around 300 miles with it now and dont see the same effects as others...

I bought the flash license to try to manage the Torque Limit and WOT Shift points of my Alpina map - this would have been perfect for me. Unfortunately it seemed to completely wipe the Alpina settings back to stock and THEN apply the changes. The Alpina shifted the box beautifully and i love that Sport didnt adjust the 'box behaviour unless you moved the shifter to M/S. It shifted into 6th at 1100rpm/31mph and the engine loved it. Alas the Alpina up-shifted far too late when making progress and really caused the car to bog down, almost feeling dangerous.

I so went whole-hog and flashed Stage 3 given the glowing reports on here. Yeah its quick in sport and bangs through the gears with Gusto, but normal driving just feels like stock to me? The RPM needle moves faster but thats just an illusion as its not telling you the live RPM of the engine.

I can feel a slight jerk when shifting gears most of the time. The TC seems to be just as involved as before when pulling away and 1-2 shifts, maybe more? The gearbox also regularly seems to 'forget' to upshift in 2nd and 3rd until about 2800rpm which is silly.

My next step is to take some major 20%+ reductions in shift RPM to see if it gets any better. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #291
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Am i the only one not happy with their XHP? Ive done around 300 miles with it now and dont see the same effects as others...

I bought the flash license to try to manage the Torque Limit and WOT Shift points of my Alpina map - this would have been perfect for me. Unfortunately it seemed to completely wipe the Alpina settings back to stock and THEN apply the changes. The Alpina shifted the box beautifully and i love that Sport didnt adjust the 'box behaviour unless you moved the shifter to M/S. It shifted into 6th at 1100rpm/31mph and the engine loved it. Alas the Alpina up-shifted far too late when making progress and really caused the car to bog down, almost feeling dangerous.

I so went whole-hog and flashed Stage 3 given the glowing reports on here. Yeah its quick in sport and bangs through the gears with Gusto, but normal driving just feels like stock to me? The RPM needle moves faster but thats just an illusion as its not telling you the live RPM of the engine.

I can feel a slight jerk when shifting gears most of the time. The TC seems to be just as involved as before when pulling away and 1-2 shifts, maybe more? The gearbox also regularly seems to 'forget' to upshift in 2nd and 3rd until about 2800rpm which is silly.

My next step is to take some major 20%+ reductions in shift RPM to see if it gets any better. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I have no idea why everyone complains about the daily normal driving portion, go to the options and tick stock shift maps, and it uses the stock shifting points instead of XHP, and the whole point of XHP is to remove torque limiters and increase shifting speed in sport/sport+ mode. Comfort and eco are exactly what it's supposed to be, comfortable and economic, it's not supposed to be super fast shifting, it's supposed to be smooth.

Stage 3 is supposed to be for spirited driving and used to be race map until people complained about it and they made a stage 4 specifically for race only. If you don't like how it reacts, flash stage 1 or 2. But since you have a diesel, it could be different from gas version.

Last edited by lens; 10-29-2020 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #292
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:

couldn't you just note down the stock settings then note down the various other maps settings and simply create your own version?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #293
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

anyone know if xhp will run any black friday deals or is it unheard of?
duno whether i should just get it now or wait. Got the cable and i'm dieing to install it but happy to wait a month if it means saving $30 or something....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #294
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
anyone know if xhp will run any black friday deals or is it unheard of?
duno whether i should just get it now or wait. Got the cable and i'm dieing to install it but happy to wait a month if it means saving $30 or something....
No idea, but I did ask about a group buy and basically got a flat "no".
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #295
yyzwagon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31

black friday sale is happening:
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #296
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Typical! I only went and purchased it 2 days ago!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #297
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i, Estoril Blue

Same, bought a few weeks ago though
      11-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #298
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
Typical! I only went and purchased it 2 days ago!
Never buy anything a few days before Black Friday!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #299
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Its always worth asking if they'll do a goodwill refund.

I ordered something online two days ago (Quad Lock bicycle mount and a few other things) and literally 4 hours later they had 30% off, which would have saved me a decent chunk.

So I sent an email asking if a refund was possible, or if I could cancel and re-order with the 30% discount. Within an hour I had the 30% back in my account.

You don't ask, you won't get. But the worst they'll do is say no. At least you'd have tried.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #300
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

read this in another thread - if this is the case I will skip, don't want to sacrifice sound

Anyone else had this experience?

Last edited by winther1; 11-25-2020 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #301
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
read this in another thread - if this is the case I will skip, don't want to sacrifice sound

Anyone else had this experience?
Surely getting rid of upshift burp is a good thing? Truly awful noise, especially on VAG DSG cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:36 AM   #302
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
Surely getting rid of upshift burp is a good thing? Truly awful noise, especially on VAG DSG cars.
And pops and burbles on downshift... I like those
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:43 AM   #303
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post

I ordered something online two days ago (Quad Lock bicycle mount and a few other things) and literally 4 hours later they had 30% off, which would have saved me a decent chunk.

So I sent an email asking if a refund was possible, or if I could cancel and re-order with the 30% discount. Within an hour I had the 30% back in my account.

You don't ask, you won't get. But the worst they'll do is say no. At least you'd have tried.
Yeah, the quadlock bike mount is brilliant ..... also have the windscreen one for the car which works a treat

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:51 AM   #304
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post

Yeah, the quadlock bike mount is brilliant ..... also have the windscreen one for the car which works a treat
Yeah it's brilliant, got one on the mtb, just wanted another for the road bike.

I can pick up my mtb (16kg all-up-weight including drinks bottles, mudguards etc) by the phone and shake it and it won't come lose at all.

My mate has one on his 675cc motorbike and can lift the front wheel clean off the ground just by his phone in its mount. Very solid bit of kit.

My progress thread
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      11-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #305
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:

I can feel a slight jerk when shifting gears most of the time. The TC seems to be just as involved as before when pulling away and 1-2 shifts, maybe more? The gearbox also regularly seems to 'forget' to upshift in 2nd and 3rd until about 2800rpm which is My next step is to take some major 20%+ reductions in shift RPM to see if it gets any better. Does anyone have any recommendations?
I'll probably get shot down for saying this, but will do anyway......
It begs the question why you changed from the Alpina transmission.
Alpina R&D would run rings around XHP.
Alpina transmission is great. Let it do it's thing.
XHP I understand is adjustable. But really, people changing gearbox settings individually, just because the software allows it, doesn't mean it's good. Or more importantly, reliable on the transmission.
      11-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #306
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
I'll probably get shot down for saying this, but will do anyway......
It begs the question why you changed from the Alpina transmission.
Alpina R&D would run rings around XHP.
Alpina transmission is great. Let it do it's thing.
XHP I understand is adjustable. But really, people changing gearbox settings individually, just because the software allows it, doesn't mean it's good. Or more importantly, reliable on the transmission.
You won't get shot down from me! Perfectly valid question and one I keep asking myself!!

My only issue with the Alpina map was the borderline dangerous shift points when pressing on. I didn't feel comfortable pushing the car as you simply had to use manual mode, and I couldn't change gear audibly like every other petrol car. When I'm overtaking in the peaks, I don't want to be watching the RPM needle!

I bought xhp with the intention to just set the torque limits and WOT/Max shift points only. The issue however was that it flashed the stock map first, so I lost the Alpina settings. Gutted.

I've since found that the XHP D settings only affect comfort mode and not Eco, which is what I was using by default. Since then I have noticed an improvement in MPG despite dropping winter temperatures, thanks to the reduced shift points and TC involvement. TC slur is much reduced but with a noticeable slight jerkiness sometimes which I'm fine with. It's still 10x less jerky than a BMW manual.

The car is now phenomenal flat out however. The shift points are perfect at 4.3k and there is a constant wave of torque. Not sure if it was entirely worth it, but thankfully I have a 'if it ain't broke, fix it anyway' mentality, so keeps me occupied
Appreciate 2
t5pilot977.50
      11-27-2020, 02:17 AM   #307
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post

I contacted xHP. Hopefully they'll do a goodwill gesture..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #308
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Just bought the license and maps on the black Friday deal.
Apparently my battery is too low to begin the flash.

Has anybody successfully flashed it while connected to a trickle charger?
Appreciate 0